Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rejected the shoulder holster method previous to this but I'm thinking that it might be right for me for a variety of reasons so I need explore the issue a bit.

Is it weird carrying a gun this way? How long did it take to adjust to this method?

Does it sway back and forth and bang into your side?

How about it hitting your elbow? Does it happen?

Does it chafe?

Does the harness limit your ability to lift your arms or does it interfere with your arm movement at all?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The shoulder hoster carry is probably my most liked. To answer you questions in order: No it is not weird. It only took about an hour to adjust. Most good holsters have adjustments that, if adjusted correctly it will not sway very much. It shouldnt be low enough to touch your elbows. The harnes should sit right above your elbow towards the bottom of your bicept. I know with my harness there are elastic strapts that connect to my belt. These alow for very high range of motion. Any other questions just ask. I think you will find its very comfy. Its a good way to carry in the winter but not too practical in the summer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've used a Jackass Shoulder Holster, now owned by Galco, for many years. I've carried every thing from a Sig P230 to a Glock 21 in them. Very comfortable if you get the wide shoulder straps. I'd highly recommend them. They are not cheap and are now called the Miami Vice Model. The key to comfortable shoulder holster is wide straps to support the gun and magazines. I only carry this way when I cover it with a heavy shirt or jacket.
Winter carry.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Galco Miami Classic for a Sig 226 9mm and 2x17rd mags.

Probably my most convienient carry method. No problems when going to the restroom, no banging into things with your hip and hearing a "clunk". No "cover garment" required.

I wear mine under moderately heavy buttonup shirts, tucked in. Wife usually can't tell I'm carrying, and she knows I always am.

Upside: Comfortable, deep concealment, no fuss with belt or pants

Downside: Slow draw, very slow if you wear it like I do... or you have to rip the buttoms on your shirt.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Warren, you and I are going to be learning together from the looks of it! I've got about every other method of carry covered...IWB, OWB, SmartCarry, bellyband; so a shoulder rig just seemed to be the next item on the list...heh.

After a lot of asking around, I ordered a Aker Flatsider XR7 from Galls for $114.99, which I found was a fair price in comparison to other rigs. http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=LP305&cat=2955 They make this rig for select models of Beretta, Glock, H&K, SIG and S&W.

My plan is to use this method of carry during fall/winter when wearing windshirts, fleece pullover, leather coat, etc. Mostly when driving or running errands where I won't be parting with my cover garment.

I've heard it takes some getting used to, but is workable. I'll soon find out.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I've used a Jackass Shoulder Holster, now owned by Galco, for many years. I've carried every thing from a Sig P230 to a Glock 21 in them. Very comfortable if you get the wide shoulder straps. I'd highly recommend them. They are not cheap and are now called the Miami Vice Model. The key to comfortable shoulder holster is wide straps to support the gun and magazines. I only carry this way when I cover it with a heavy shirt or jacket.
Winter carry.

Jungle Work
I'd have to go with Jungle on this one "Wide Straps" I had one with narrow straps and hated it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm certainly going with wide straps, I had a backpack in highschool that had narrow straps. Learned my lesson then.

Jimmy, I've tried Smartcarry, that was a no go, strong side in a c-tac also a no go, a Mikes fanny pack that was totally craptastic was the most no go of them all.

Currently I carry my P220 in my front pocket covered by a little fanny pack and a long shirt. This is tolerable, but really slow and impossible to access while sitting.

I have back injuries from an accident and I find a gun on my hip to wear on me after only a short while. Having it up front helps a little, but not enough.

So I've been thinking of various types of bags with a shoulder strap might work, many advantages but I really don't want to carry a big bag with me all the time.

So my focus has switched to shoulder rigs, I plan on carrying a big gun so it will need to be a vertical style and it so happens I really like the looks and operation of that Andrew's Leather Springbreak I posted about earlier. Though I am certainly willing to look at other rigs if you know of any.

I'm not worried about the summer/winter thing this method, if I adapt to it, will be my fulltime carry rig just by necessity.

I'll order up some nice cover shirts like the Israeli ones that had the forums abuzz awhile back. I don't think unbuttoned Dickies brand shirts will look right, plus I like the idea of the lower pockets for weighing the shirt down.

Warren

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I carry my P229 in a Jackass Rig when I am driving long distances. It is the most convenient carry while sitting, since it is readilly accessible, and more comfortable to boot. I sometimes carry that way during cold weather under a heavy jacket as well.

Man, I've never heard of anyone carrying a P220 in a front pocket. Sounds really uncomfortable. If you are looking for a good carry bag for hiking, etc... Look at one of these

Maxpedition Versipack

·
Registered
218 Posts
Warren: + 1 on the wide straps , my wife modified my Galco Miami Classic where it rides over the shoulder and I use it to carry a full size and commander size 1911 for all but the warmest months here in Mi.
She found some soft leather about 3 inches wide and hand stiched them in on the shoulder area, if I could post pics at the moment I would but camera took a leap off the trunk of the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I notice most of these are horizontal, any ideas/experience on vertical shoulder holsters. Thinking about one for extended wear while driving cross country.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I shoulder carry when ever I am in the desert with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Sheldon...

as a 'former' Michigander, where are the deserts?
Try Fist, Inc...they offer a very nice shoulder holster!
IMHO...

ret:urla9ub:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Warren, if you would compromise on gun size, it would open up a lot of possibilities, and perhaps more comfort. That P220 is a big cannon when compared to many carry pieces that folks carry with comfort.

Here is a picture of the Lou Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig, which has very wide shoulder straps.

There is also a vertical shoulder rig that Alessi makes.

Hate to nag on you, Warren, but I'd sure look for a smaller piece and then seek out carry methods. Regardless of what folks say, a smaller and lighter carry gun can bring with it a lot of comfort.

Finally, I echo p8riot's statement about the Maxpedition Versipack for touring/hiking use...I carry in their Jumbo Versipack.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
retsupt99 said:
OK students, get out your US maps and we'll start with Arizona, then Nevada, then... :tumbleweed:
Michiganders have lots of cars.

Sorry, couldn't help it, you set that one up so well.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Try Fist, Inc...they offer a very nice shoulder holster!
IMHO...

ret:urla9ub:
In the Stake N Shake usually, hay I've worked 12 hour shifts now for 10 straight days cut me and the spell checker some slack ;) One more thing I picked mine up at a local gun show it only cost I believe $30. and has prov en to be a nice rig, visually identical to what the Phoenix police use. Oh BTY as a snow bird I'm not sure you can still claim to be a former:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I can keep my jacket on, the shoulder holster is my favorite way to carry.

I have a DeSantis horizontal rig (wide straps) and a Galco VHS vertical rig (non-wide straps).

The horizonal rig is fast for me to draw. I don't loose much on speed there. The wide straps ARE more comfortable but at times they have been noticed by my S.O. if my jacket isn't buttoned. - You can see the edges of the straps peek out from under the lapels of the jacket.

The vertical rig can conceal a LONGER gun than the horizontal one but my draw is noticibly slower when I use my vertical rig. The more narrow straps conceal a little better but you loose a tiny bit in comfort.

I prefer tie-downs to keep the gun in place but some people don't. My VHS system does not have a tie down and the gun does seem to move about a bit as I move around. I feel better knowing exactly where the gun is and without a tie-down it can shift a little front to back depending on what you are doing.

Shoulder holsters are especially great for getting in and out or cars ot going to the restroom!

Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That Fieldmaster does look great but I like the fact that with the Springbreak the gun pulls straight out instead of up and out as with other vertical rigs.

I was wondering tonight if the ISPC saddle could be made into a vertical rig. Would it be secure enough? It would be fast, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
shoulder holster

+1 on the Fist holster (model 70).ll made, good to look at and comfortable. BacSi

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I like shoulder rigs for comfort and if it's possible to conceal one, by all means try it out. A word of caution, as a fellow back/spine pain sufferer, avoid holsters that use elastic straps as they tend to draw up. In my experience, those elastic straps cause shoulder and neck fatigue in short order and they also tend to pull on neck hair (ouch!) and grip clothing.

I've got a horizontal rig on order with Matt Del Fatti for a 1911 Commander. I'm looking forward to getting that baby home and putting it to use. :yup:
Jack

1 - 20 of 33 Posts