Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me who makes hi-capacity 1911 pistols besides Para Ordinance?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I missing something? I mean Hi-Capacity as in over 10 rounds of .45 ACP and not in an extended mag.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can't get a better answer than that. Did the OP have something specific in mind?

Don't forget Les Baer Les Baer HC 40 If you want a .40 for competition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In another life I carried a Hi-Cap .45.

Let me just say that with a full magazine it is luggage. Heavy luggage.

I am older and wiser now and the smaller the better.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I believe Rock Island Armory sells one as well. 14 rounds and accepts Para Ordnance magazines.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Springfield makes a double stack 1911.

The whole point of a 1911 for me is that carries very flat against your side. Seems like one with a thick grip would defeat the purpose.

You can get backup mags that carry 10, which gives you a respectable 11 rounds. Plenty. Learn how to do a tactical reload.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Springfield makes a double stack 1911.

The whole point of a 1911 for me is that carries very flat against your side. Seems like one with a thick grip would defeat the purpose.

You can get backup mags that carry 10, which gives you a respectable 11 rounds. Plenty. Learn how to do a tactical reload.
I'm not looking for one as a carry gun but I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
maddy do you not like the Paras? Very nice guns.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a high cap .45, but they don't make them like that anymore. It is a Kimber Polymer Custom and it came with one 13rd magazine and one 10rd magazine. It has a polymer frame that was manufactured by a company called BUL if I remember correctly. It was only produced for a couple of years I believe. I wish I would have gotten a few more mags for it about 10 years ago when I had a chance!

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
In another life I carried a Hi-Cap .45.

Let me just say that with a full magazine it is luggage. Heavy luggage.

I am older and wiser now and the smaller the better.
I carried a Para while working evenings alone at a gun shop. When 4 "urban youth" wearing their ball caps bills forward and pulled low over oversized sunglasses backed an old Chevy “ghetto cruiser” up to the front door the day after a gang shootout up the road, I wouldn’t have traded those 14 rounds of .45 HP for all the tea in China. Heavy? A little bit but it was my EDC and I had no problems with it.

If you look at the grip panels on a standard 1911 you will see they are rather thick to help fill your hand, the grip panels on a Para are real thin, there isn’t much thickness difference between them. With a Galco Sky-Op holster experienced LEO couldn’t tell I was carrying

·
Administrator
21,323 Posts
I have a high cap .45, but they don't make them like that anymore. It is a Kimber Polymer Custom and it came with one 13rd magazine and one 10rd magazine. It has a polymer frame that was manufactured by a company called BUL if I remember correctly. It was only produced for a couple of years I believe. I wish I would have gotten a few more mags for it about 10 years ago when I had a chance!
Charles Daly is now importing 1911s with the BUL frame, Wilson Combat used to have the KZ45 as well which IIRC used the BUL frame. The mags can still be found if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just my $0.03, but I've recently fallen in love--again--with my Kimber Pro BP Ten II. I carry it full-time, often with a spare mag and scarcely even notice I have it on me. That's 26 +1 rounds of .45 caliber lovin'. :image035:

I just found a source and ordered a 14-round mag for $29.95--compared to the previous $50 for a 13-round mag. I've been shooting the Kimber a lot lately, and the accuracy just puts a perma-grin on my face. I've been consistently hitting 9-ring or better shots at 50 feet offhand through the entire mag without pausing for air.

I'm 6', 210lbs with M-L sized hands. Does that make me a freak, or near average? Whatever. The guns fits me like a glove. I carry Federal +P 230-grain HP and shoot Federal American Eagle 230-grain FMJ ammo with no hiccups.

I previously thought I'd abandon my Kimber for a Springfield XD45. Not any more. I'm just going to find and buy another Kimber Pro BP Ten II. I've seen them out there for sale.

Submitted for your consideration. :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts