Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the new Hi Point 9mm carbine TS or target model at Dunhams Sports, maybe I'm easily impressed but I was "Pitchin Tent" , after a couple minutes of handling (caressing,fondling etc) it at the firearms counter. They still are a little ruff looking but, I think I might need one. I would appreciate any input on this weapon. Dunhams had a sticker price of $325 on it, but I'm sure it can be had at a better price, and I just happen to have an open slot in my weapon safe:scratchchin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have had very good luck with High-point, no problems yet. I own several. But not this one. Let us know.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dude,

It's high point.
Have you EVER shot said high point, I own a 995 carbine and while yes it is rough around the edges. I paid 150 bucks for it and it has never failed to go Bang. The weapon has never tried to be somethig its not. Its a cheap gun meant for those on a budget. In this case the carbine is a cheap weapon that is a accurate and fun plinker/range gun. They are cheap to own and shoot. I have always enjoyed mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude,

It's high point.
Yes, this I know, but does it go BANG everytime you squeeze the trigger? I know their not a high quality manufacturer, but neither is Raven, Phoenix, or Cobra, and they've left alot of chalk lines on the pavement over the years, for being "bottom of the barrel" guns.
But reliability, accuracy, and durability is what I'd like to know.
I try not to judge a gun by its $ tag, I've seen some expensive pieces of crap, and old $100 surplus rifles that drive tacks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have you EVER shot said high point, I own a 995 carbine and while yes it is rough around the edges. I paid 150 bucks for it and it has never failed to go Bang. The weapon has never tried to be somethig its not. Its a cheap gun meant for those on a budget. In this case the carbine is a cheap weapon that is a accurate and fun plinker/range gun. They are cheap to own and shoot. I have always enjoyed mine.
+1.
I love mine.
As you said; Mine has never failed to go bang. I have found some ammo that it doesn't like to feed as well as most, but that can be an issue with any firearm; You just need to know what works reliably and use that.
It is fun on the range!
Don't think I could spend $300+ on one tho'!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1.
I love mine.
As you said; Mine has never failed to go bang. I have found some ammo that it doesn't like to feed as well as most, but that can be an issue with any firearm; You just need to know what works reliably and use that.
It is fun on the range!
Don't think I could spend $300+ on one tho'!
I just saw one on the net for $200, and I haven't checked with the local dealers yet, but $200 is making my Visa twitch:smile:

·
Banned
109 Posts

I love mine...It has never jammed in over 5k rounds... IMHO its better then some guns costing 4 times what I paid for it... paid $165 with a hard shell case out the door, and added a $40 red dot and $49 after market stock.:yup:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
For an urban handgun caliber carbine or even something to take camping...

If I had my druthers, I'd go with a Marlin Camp Carbine in either 9mm or .45 ACP.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts

I love mine...It has never jammed in over 5k rounds... IMHO its better then some guns costing 4 times what I paid for it... paid $165 with a hard shell case out the door, and added a $40 red dot and $49 after market stock.:yup:
Well there you go!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I love mine...It has never jammed in over 5k rounds... IMHO its better then some guns costing 4 times what I paid for it... paid $165 with a hard shell case out the door, and added a $40 red dot and $49 after market stock.:yup:[/QUOTE

There goes my Visa again:biggrin2:. I told my wife its a sickness, and I dont have any control over it, its has to run its course(right to my weapon safe),then she said something about my head and rectum, she is sooo insensitive

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dude....buy one now and buy another one later. I love my $150 used "classic" model. Shoot the bajeezuz out of it and enjoy. Man you got guts to mention hipoint on a forum. Thumbs up to you!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts

My gun could be yours ugly twin sister,the aftermarket stock improves the cosmetics and mine is very accurate,they make great Home defense carbines,not as much over penetration worries like an AR15 or AK and they are very light.The 995 is good value for the money

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude....buy one now and buy another one later. I love my $150 used "classic" model. Shoot the bajeezuz out of it and enjoy. Man you got guts to mention hipoint on a forum. Thumbs up to you!
:embarassed:Yea I probably stepped on my (you know what), but that's one of the reasons I joined the Forum, to exchange info and support other CC folks. I just love guns, from the expensive, to the cheap, blued or stainless, I have an appreciation for them all. My Glock 22 is my primary CC, but not because of the name or price tag, but because it does its job everytime, without fail. If the Hi Point Carbine performs as well as you guys have said, its a solid gun in my book.:hand10:. Thanks for the info, now I'm stoked...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Their carbines are pretty decent, especially considering the price point of all the competition but the Keltec sub2000.

Pistols not so much. Potmetal and direct blowback systems just don't work well in handguns chambered in most defensive calibers.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Love mine and the posters that say "it's a hipoint" have most likely never shot one.
Hey I own S&W's, Kimbers and yes a Hi Point :tongue:

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a C-9 and can shoot anything out of it including hp and shotshells, never had a problem, ever and never a jam. I would say I am around 1000 rds. It is also my wife's favorite because the manual safety and the slide is easy to rack. I don't CC it but I like it. I would already own the carbine if it took the same mags... that's the only thing I don't like. Their 40sw pistol and carbine share mags but not the 9's... as far as I know and I did email them a few years ago about it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought my second HP995 today (first on 9-18-09). This one I will put an ATI stock (or a new TS stock from Hi Point) with Sightmark red dot. As others have said, when you pull the trigger, it goes bang - every time. The original stock is so ugly, it's lovable! I got so hooked on HP, I bought 2 c-9s the same day I bought the 995, but (alas) I just got a Taurus PT709 Slim for CC (another sweet winner).

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
...not as much over penetration worries like an AR15 ...
Actually, the pistol round may have more risk of overpenetration than the .223 rifle. The lighter weight .223/5.56 bullets (55-60 gr or so) tend to decelerate so violently (especially JHPs) that they tumble and fragment into small pieces. 9mm FMJ will likely penetrate more.

For defensive purposes with a pistol caliber carbine, you need to do some research into the bullets you are using. When driven at higher velocities by the longer carbine barrel, some JHPs can expand too quickly and "explode," giving you penetration that is too shallow and doesn't reach the vitals.

Just something to keep in mind.

I've been thinking of a Sub 2000, since you can get one that takes Glock 19 mags. Hmmmm.....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts