Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Browning Hi-power copy . It was manufactured by FEG in Hungary. It is in new condition, and the fit and finish is real clean. It functions without a hitch. no jams , hiccups , etc. I was wondering if any one knows anything about FEG? Are these pistols safe for +p ammo, etc. I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Paknheat,
Welcome to the forums!

If you don't mind, what'd you pay for it? I'm eventually planning on a Hi-Power style pistol for myself. I'm interested to hear if anyone has an opinion on these.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
pakn' - I have had a FEG for some time - and until I bought a BHP Practical - was pretty much feeling close to having a genuine BHP. MIne shoots very well - is reliable and in fact most folks feel they will handle +P just fine.

I do tho have reservations over the metallurgy - not saying they are severely inferior to genuine BHP - just an assumption that they are ''probably'' not quite up there. They are after all significantly cheaper.

I tend to stay with std pressure ammo thru mine tho - did use it for carry a ways back and had it stoked with +P then. It's mainly my thinking that all +P ''beats up'' the gun that bit more and maybe kinder to stay with std stuff most of the time. Good value gun tho IMO.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Even on my actual P35, I don't do +P with regularity. I *might* carry a mag of it if I needed to go into harms way and it was the choice of the day, but there's no way I'd load the thing with hot ammo.

Interestingly, my Arcus 94 BHP clone *is* rated for +P according to the manual.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input .My daily carry piece is actually a glok m-29 10mm. I paid 200.00 for the Hi-power copy including 2extra mags. It a matter of helping a friend out who needed some cash. Besides I believe one can't possibly have too many pistols, not in my house anyway

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
paknheat, Here's one for you-------How do you like that 29? How many rds.through it? How do you carry it? What ammo have you tried/used? What sights are on it?----I'd appreciate the info. Of course,I'd never own a Glock,I'm just checkin' for "somebody else".

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Since it's related, does anyone have one of those FN clones? I think I'm making sense... see them in CDNN catalog sometimes. Always been curious what the deal is there.

Not a huge BHP guy myself, but they sure are some of the nicest guns you could have.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I used to have one of these and I had one of the Argentinian Hi-Powers as well. I found both to be of much lower quality than the Browning Original, unsurprisingly. They are made of a softer metal and don't hold up as well. Mine jammed but not excessively, still ONE is too much for a carry gun. If you want a plinker or better yet as a future trade + some cash for something MUCH better then great. I got an awesome Sig P245 for a POS Para P10 + $100 and it was the best deal I ever made. The P245 was virtually new.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Euclidean said:
Since it's related, does anyone have one of those FN clones? I think I'm making sense... see them in CDNN catalog sometimes. Always been curious what the deal is there.

Not a huge BHP guy myself, but they sure are some of the nicest guns you could have.
They aren't clones. FN is actually making the pistols that are stamped as Brownings and sold for a higher cost.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
CombatEffective said:
They aren't clones. FN is actually making the pistols that are stamped as Brownings and sold for a higher cost.
correct, FN has been manufacturing Browning guns for a long time.

FN or Fabrique National also made A-5 shotguns, as well as lots of other Browning guns.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RSSZ,I "tote" the 29in kydex IWB while I am wearing Wrangler loose fitting jeans. I hardly know it's there sometimes.I know IWB isnt for everyone but it works for me. I am currently using PMC Starfire 180gn HP .With the two 10 rd mags I don't feel "undergunned." The pistol functions flawlessly . I have very happy with it. I want to thank all of y'all on this thread for the warm and informitive welcome . I like it here.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RSSZ-I carry the M-29 In kydex IWB.This rig was given to me to just try out. It is very comfortable. I wear it with Wrangler loose fit jeans. Regardless of whatever shirt I am wearing, printing has not been a problem. Currently using PMC 180gn Starfire hps. the pistol seems to like them and give good accuracy.I will find out how effective this round is tomorrow on some feral hogs here in East Tx. Thanks to all for a warm welcome to the site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts