Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a co-worker who thinks this this would be a good choice for his first gun, on price. I have heard nothing but bad reviews on high point for years. I suggested that he rent one at the range (if that is an option) before making a decision & suggested that making an uninformed decision on a gun purchase sometimes results in regret.
To be honest I have never shot one of the these firearms but my experience to this point is to some extent you get what you pay for. Additionally my view a gun purchase is a life time investment and a lot of the initial investment $$ can be recouped on resale if needed. (I don't think high point carries the same weight).
My question is, how would I suggest that he would invest at least twice the $$ to get a more more reliable pistol?

Thank you,
Chris Dawg

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Why should a high point be considered a life time investment?

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
423 Posts
You get what you pay for, generally speaking. You can get far superior firearms used for not all that much more $$$. Hi-Points have a bad rep for a reason. I mean, I was able to get my M&P9 with 3 17 round mags, all three backstraps, and a carry case for $350. It was a former police duty weapon, so it hadn't been fired much and was in pristine condition. Not one FTF.

I would have a Hi-Point if it was all I could afford, but if he has the means, there are MUCH better options.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
If you can get past the looks, a Hi Point is known to be a reliable firearm. They are big, heavy, ugly, and a bit of a trick to take down. But people that have owned them will tell you they always go bang. That's the important part.

ETA: I've seen people decide to not buy anything, because they felt pressured to buy something outside their budget. Keep that in mind. They may not get everything back out of it later, that's true. But that shouldn't be a determining factor when it comes to personal protection. If anything, since it's so cheap up front, it may be worthy of keeping around even after more guns are acquired.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
HI point are cheep ugly and feel like crap but they do work ...Lot better then a Cobra etc ..I mean they have a life time warrenty

But yeah unless it is that or nothing ..Get something better

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't know where you are coming up with unreliable for high points. Everyone I have ever shot went bang every single time. That being said, I have never shot the .380. I have always heard how good they shoot and how butt ugly they are. The part about not getting your money back is wrong also. They are so cheap you can get almost every single penny back on a high point. Even if you couldn't you wouldn't even be out 200 bucks probably. I say probably because I haven't looked at their prices for a while.

For just a few more bucks, I think the Ruger LCP would be a better choice but to each their own.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
How much is he looking to spend? For $200 one can get a Taurus TCP, or possibly a PT 111 G2. For $250 he can probably find a Bersa Thunder 380, S&W SD9VE, maybe a Ruger SR9E. For $300 some pretty decent used guns out there.

But if he's looking to spend less than $200 for something that's not an antique. Hi Point might be his best bet.

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
520 Posts
Like you, I was warned to not get a Hi Point. The real question is, what is he getting the gun for? If range shooting and target practice - get the High Point and trade up latter.
If for Self Defense and Home Defense - How much is your life worth? I got my S&W 9mm Shield for $359.

If money is that tight, I question if they can truly afford a gun. Factor in bullets, range time and targets, cheap pocket carry holster until you get a concealed carry permit and get a better holster, range bag, ear muffs, etc it will cost a lot more. That $359 Shield cost me $854 by 2 months. Now that I have the right equipment it is merely bullets and range time (and concealed carry class $60, and CC permit $90)

It is cheaper to spend to get the right equipment the first time than to have to keep upgrading. I know, I am one cheap son of a so and so.

Reactions: RolandD

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The only thing I can add is for a first gun, I would choose the most common caliber because its so much cheaper to shoot! Compare a box of .380 to an equill box of 9mm.
I have known two friends that bought High Point pistols. Both of them fired every time, and were accurate enough. Both bought them before they could afford much more. They were young GI's with family's. When they could afford better they bought better guns. One still has his, the other traded the HP to someone else that needed it. I just see them as a starter gun. If they really like shooting they will soon want something better. If they don't really enjoy shooting they are not out much. If all they want is a desk drawer gun the HP is up to that.
What it won't do is become an heirloom, it will not become a carry gun, And it won't become a source of pride.
Personally Surplus guns are my thing. Both Military and Ex LEO guns. They can be had for about the price of an HP, And to me they are more appealing. DR

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have a couple of High Points but they are not my carry gun. One is a JHP .45 and the other is the 995 carbine. I took the carbine to a range and the guy behind the counter got excited when he saw it until he saw that it was a high point and then he said you better be careful " I've heard the blow up on you." I think they will too if you screw a bolt down the barrel and then clamp it in a vise. High Point has been in business a long time and they wouldn't be if they made guns that blow up. For guns that are supposed to be junk they are very reliable. I guess a lot of people have a hard time getting over the fact that something made in America can cost less than other products. I am a real fan of cheap guns like the Mossberg plinkster .22 rifle with the 25 round magazines for back up home protection. I couldn't believe that it would shoot 25 rounds that quickly until I shot it at the range.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Back when my dad had his FFL, he sold quite a few Hi Points to family and friends for cheap shooters and truck guns. For those two purposes, they are fine. He does not personally possess one but he often would say "they are ugly as sin, could anchor a yacht but go bang every time". I would never carry one but if someone was that desperate for a handgun, I suppose it would do.

·
Registered
979 Posts
High Point is not a gun you show off to your friends. They are heavy and ugly as sin. I have a High Point in 45. It has never failed to shoot anything I feed it. Would I carry it? Heck no. Would I grab it to defend myself? Maybe if I could not get anything else. From what I have seen and learned their bad rep is only because the gun is cheap not because it is true. There are countless you tube vids of High Points put through test no other gun goes through and they came out still shooting.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
They work,are dependable, and have a good warranty. As already mentioned and being that money is an issue, I'd go with one in 9mm being that ammo is cheaper and easier to find than 380....

With that said, the Taurus PT111 G2 being in the Hi Point price range, I see no reason to choose a HiPoint over one. Heck even the Taurus TCP and Ruger LCP can be found in the $200 Hi Point price range if he is dead set on a 380.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
In the past, their mag springs have been the week link in their pistols. Not sure if they ever corrected that issue, I sold the shop 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
They work,are dependable, and have a good warranty. As already mentioned and being that money is an issue, I'd go with one in 9mm being that ammo is cheaper and easier to find than 380....

With that said, the Taurus PT111 G2 being in the Hi Point price range, I see no reason to choose a HiPoint over one. Heck even the Taurus TCP and Ruger LCP can be found in the $200 Hi Point price range if he is dead set on a 380.
Good points all around. a 9mm would be cheaper to shoot, and wouldn't have any noticeable recoil difference. And if you're in the $200 range, the PT111 G2 would be an all around better choice IMO.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
It's been my experience that companies who puff most loudly about their "Lifetime Warranty" (Hi-point, Taurus [<sorry TDon], Sccy, etc.) are usually lower-price/quality manufacturers trying to crack the sub-$400 market. Yet reality (IMHO) suggests that it really means you may be dealing with warranty issues...for a LIFETIME! If your friend is primarily dealing with a rigid budget concern, and he/she is serious about a defensive handgun, I'd do without a premium cable package for a month (or two) while eating Ramon noodles for lunch until enough coin is accumulated to buy a used Ruger, GLOCK, etc. <Those 2nd tier companies don't over-tout their warranties, but their customer service is reasonably liberal in satisfying most factory issues in a timely manner. :yup:

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
It's been my experience that companies who puff most loudly about their "Lifetime Warranty" (Hi-point, Taurus [<sorry TDon], Sccy, etc.) are usually lower-price/quality manufacturers trying to crack the sub-$400 market. Yet reality (IMHO) suggests that it really means you may be dealing with warranty issues...for a LIFETIME! If your friend is primarily dealing with a rigid budget concern, and he/she is serious about a defensive handgun, I'd do without a premium cable package for a month (or two) while eating Ramon noodles for lunch until enough coin is accumulated to buy a used Ruger, GLOCK, etc. <Those 2nd tier companies don't over-tout their warranties, but their customer service is reasonably liberal in satisfying most factory issues in a timely manner. :yup:
There's the GT I used to know! Where you been?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Watched one a few years ago have two mags fall apart straight out of the box on the first time the poor guy took it to the range. He kept bragging about their lifetime warranty. Glad he gets to use his warranty so soon...

I would favor a Ruger or Taurus over an HP. I would favor a used S&W police trade in over any of the previously-mentioned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts