Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much settled on my SIG 226 now - and tho I have SP-101 for carry have the feeling that 15+1 gives me a slight ''buffer''.

That said - I have carried my M28-2 in the past - even the 629 - on the basis that a coupla hits from these will do way more to ''persuade'' a BG to quit then a load more 9mm's!!

Of course yeah - shot placement every time but - somehow there is a feeling of ''edge'' when the carry is more ''cannon'' in character! :tongue: I personally do not find the .357 mag or even 44 mag, in an N frame revo, that hard to control - years of useage I guess but - what do you reckon?

Trade capacity for extreme disablement? If control is good then why not? I love the SIG but there are times when I still think of the ''usefullness'' of the ''big boys'' with some relish!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Given the fact that in most SD encounters the sight of the gun deters further engagment, the sight of a large wheelgun doesn't leave much room for the perp to misinterpert your intentions. If you can conceal it/shoot it then go for it. I carried a 4" K-frame in .357 all this winter....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,044 Posts
I would have no problem carrying a large revolver as long as long as I had a carry option that would keep it concealed and that it wasn't so heavy it wouldn't be pulling my pants down. Sitting side by side I would pick up my 1911, though. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
At one point in time, I often carried a 6.5 in S&W 29 in a Safariland shoulder rig, or the "dirty Harry" shoulder rig.. I also had a 29 in Arm-Allloy that was quite persuasive, as looking down the muzzel of a Stainless or Armaoly weapon makes the bore look that much larger. They both were very controlable, due to Mag-Na-Porting. I think however, with the way lifesyles and the BG's are today, if they're hardcore enough, they'll go for it no matter what, and you need to engrain that in your mind, in order to survive an encounter..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
693 Posts
I don't know, but if I saw some gang-banger with a 6-inch 629 I'd wonder to myself if the guy has seen too many movies.

Granted, some motor officers (cops on motorcycles) in my area did carry 4-inch 29's for a while. The thought was that if a cop needed to draw his weapon in a remote area it would take several minutes response time to get more officers to him. A big, dangerous gun seemed to be the answer.

Until the FBI shoot-out in Miami. Then it was learned that a firearm of proper calibre coupled with good techniques and marksmanship makes the real turning point.

If you did a questionaire of working guns in law enforcement, you would then keep seeing SW .40's in staggered column automatics, like Glocks, with some cities like mine using .45 ACP's.

High-caps have always been okay of LEO's but I wonder if the 9x19 is going to make a comeback.

After all, New York City has always been the model for training and excellence. They pump more dollars per capita into training than anyone else. Up until recently, most of the 12,000 officers carried .38 SPL's in 4-inch revolvers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,050 Posts
Don't look at me. I like to carry an N-Frame S&W 3". Mine are 624 (44 spcl), 629 (44 Mag), and 610 (10mm). My M27 hasn't been carried concealed yet.

They make pretty big holes, and carrying an N-Frame shows a certain style. :biggrin:

That style is I've lost 70lbs and have a lot of baggy cover garmets. :tongue:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
Truthfully I was considering one for my next carry gun, and I think I regretfully have to step away from the possibility. Why?

First of all I didn't want a magnum round. I'm trying to try something different.

I looked at what was available in .41, .44, and .45 LC and determined that the only way to get good catridges was with a large supply of brass and a Dillon press.

I still want one for some distant day, but not anymore I don't think, which is a real shame because I'd probably be more accurate with it.

The market in ammunition creates a self fulfilling prophecy. Create lots of good defensive catridges in, oh I don't know, .32 ACP, and everyone will use .32 ACP.

I think unless you're capable of loading your own catridges you're shoe horned into an automatic.

Now if you're willing to use Magnum catridges in these calibers, then by all means press on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
I've hedged my bets. I have a Sig 226 with a Mec-Gar 17 rounder (17+1) and a S&W 296 (44 special 5 shot) on my whenever I'm conscious.

The 296 isn't much heavier or bulkier in practice than keeping a spare mag for the Sig in my front pocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,011 Posts
Euclidean said:
Truthfully I was considering one for my next carry gun, and I think I regretfully have to step away from the possibility. Why? First of all I didn't want a magnum round. I'm trying to try something different.
I looked at what was available in .41, .44, and .45 LC and determined that the only way to get good catridges was with a large supply of brass and a Dillon press.
Look at the new Ruger Alaskan snub in 454 Casull/45 LC. After my next Sig that'll likely be my next acquisition. The 45 Colt would be an easy round for self defense and the 454 would take care of Polar Bears that we find so plentiful here in South Florida....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
That Is So Awesome



You'd need a good belt and holster, but you need that anyway!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

That is the most brilliant thing I think Ruger has ever cooked up. Holy crap I think I want one.

Wait wait... are there any good factory defensive rounds in .45LC?

Hmmm...

Still, AWESOME idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
Here we go

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/...gid=&mscssid=QTMQWP2JS7NS8J5W9SGS8UC5B651ACAB

Super expensive but it exists!

There's also this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=691001

Still not cheap by any means but I like Winchester ammo.

There's cowboy rounds that I wouldn't use for defense but for practice I bet they'd be okay. They're rougly $16 for a box of 50.

Wouldn't be cheap to shoot, but dang it that's cool.

THANK YOU EXSOLDIER!

I had no idea this wonderful thing existed! Hot dang!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,011 Posts
Ruger Alaskan

Euclidean said:


You'd need a good belt and holster, but you need that anyway!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

That is the most brilliant thing I think Ruger has ever cooked up. Holy crap I think I want one.

Wait wait... are there any good factory defensive rounds in .45LC?

Hmmm...

Still, AWESOME idea.
Actually I think the Winchester Silvertip JHP's are pretty good in .45 LC for carry. I'll also bet Cor-Bon makes a good round in this caliber. I also understand that if Blade Tech hasn't yet made a mold for your gun, if you send it to them to use as a model for the Kydex, your holster is free and of course they guarantee not to harm your piece.

Here is a great holster alternative. Sort of a universal IWB. I have carried both full sized semi-autos and full sized revolvers in mine.

http://www.handgunconcealment.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
My purpose isn't per se to outperform some cartridge. It's to look at another possibility in the market I didn't think really existed.

Just because I'd plan on shooting .45 LC most of the time doesn't mean I am not considering the possibility of being able to shoot some .454, and on top of that it's in a relatively easy to carry format. I've always wanted a Ruger revolver too.

It solves a lot of problems for me. I want to try a new non magnum caliber in a large bore size, and I've always wanted a handgun that fires a relatively powerful catridge.

If I did get one of these it wouldn't ever travel alone anyway. I'd carry it with my 642. I load it with Speer Gold Dots and stick it in a Mika's pocket holster and that nicely replicates the Kahr PM9 in almost every respect, save the extra $150 I'd have paid for the Kahr. :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,011 Posts
http://www.rbcd.net/Personal Defense Ammo.htm

Check out the stats on 45ACP and 45LC on this page. Impressive...IF true. I have a buddy in SpecOps who swears by RBCD. I think when I'm out in Texas this summer since I'm going to San Antonio anyway, I'll drop in and pick up a box or three.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I'm really torn...

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting CCW here in NE this year.

I've got 15 handguns, but my local friendly FFL has a Commander AND a Taurus SS snubbie in .41 mag (it's ported) that have caught my eye. (I already reload .41 mag, so I've got that covered.) My CCW primary will probably be my P-16, since it's what I shoot IPSC with.

What to do, what to do???

Also, CCW will be somewhat problematic. I only live 4 mi from KS...no CCW there so will have to make allowances when I drive south. Omaha will probably be a verboten zone...must register firearms with the cops & carrying in a vehicle is restricted by city ord. Have to wait for the city & state to hash that out. Also, most every time we head to Omaha it's to go to Offutt AFB for meds/commissairy. I'm pretty sure the zoomies take a dim view of firearms aboard their base, every other branch of the AF does.

National CCW would sure make life easier! (Heavy sigh.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,044 Posts
I REALLY like the .41 mag. One of the few S&W revolovers I have owned was a model 657 with an 8" barrel. That was one hell of a gun. Not practical for concealed carry but worked well as a backup when hunting black bear with a muzzleloader. In Colorado, muzzleloader and pistol seasons ran at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,011 Posts
I'd rather have some increased recoil and muzzle jump than to carry a gun with ports for self defense. What happens if you have to shoot up close and from a position of "retention?" If you're not careful, you might get a face full of hot gases and particulate matter at just the worst time imaginable. Then of course there is the L-O-U-D factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Moondoggie said:
I'm really torn...

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting CCW here in NE this year.

I've got 15 handguns, but my local friendly FFL has a Commander AND a Taurus SS snubbie in .41 mag (it's ported) that have caught my eye. (I already reload .41 mag, so I've got that covered.) My CCW primary will probably be my P-16, since it's what I shoot IPSC with.

What to do, what to do???

Also, CCW will be somewhat problematic. I only live 4 mi from KS...no CCW there so will have to make allowances when I drive south. Omaha will probably be a verboten zone...must register firearms with the cops & carrying in a vehicle is restricted by city ord. Have to wait for the city & state to hash that out. Also, most every time we head to Omaha it's to go to Offutt AFB for meds/commissairy. I'm pretty sure the zoomies take a dim view of firearms aboard their base, every other branch of the AF does.

National CCW would sure make life easier! (Heavy sigh.)
IF your state lawmakers have any sense, they'll include a pre-emption law that will not grandfather any pre-existing ordinances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
I'd rather have some increased recoil and muzzle jump than to carry a gun with ports for self defense. What happens if you have to shoot up close and from a position of "retention?" If you're not careful, you might get a face full of hot gases and particulate matter at just the worst time imaginable. Then of course there is the L-O-U-D factor.
That's it exactly: my problem in a nutshell. Trying to find a viable large bore carry revolver should not be at all difficult but it is.

The darn thing is .44 Special is actually the catridge I'm looking for but after Tourist cautioned me I looked into it and found out that it comes way underloaded. That's a real bummer as it defeats the entire purpose.

The Alaskan is worth looking at though. I want to go handle a SRH and see if the frame itself is too big to carry around or not.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top