Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked for a cheap OWB holster for Christmas just to see if I liked carrying that way. The holster is from Concealment Express and, while maybe not the best holster brand out there, it’s been good enough to show me I do like this method of carry. While the pistol rides a little lower on my belt than I’d prefer its still much more concealable than I thought it would be.

What I’m looking for is a decent quality OWB holster that rides fairly high in either plain leather (don’t need shark, alligator or any other exotic stuff) or kydex. Looking for less than $100, closer to $50 if possible. Any ideas? TIA!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Galco Combat Master +/- $90

Tagua Quick Draw +/- $45

Tagua Cannon TX +/- $45

Desantis Speed Scabbard +/- $80

·
Registered
198 Posts
Desantis Speed Scabbard +/- $80
I have the Speed Scabbard as well as the Mini Scabbard. The Kusiak is far and away a much better holster. The Kusiak holds much tighter due to the better belt loop directly behind the gun.
The Kusiak is $74 plus free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try Winthrop holster,out of Cleveland Ohio
+1 on Winthrop holsters. I have been carrying one for almost 3 years now; I have it on right now. There are bigger names and higher end holsters out there but this one is right in your price point. This is a very comfortable OWB holster, 'broke in' very quickly and easily. 100% American company. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Reactions: DJC7

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Galco makes this one called the Silhouette for semi-autos and revolvers. I've thought about trying one for either a 1911 or L-frame, just haven't done it yet

silhouette high ride.JPG

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
I asked for a cheap OWB holster for Christmas just to see if I liked carrying that way. The holster is from Concealment Express and, while maybe not the best holster brand out there, it’s been good enough to show me I do like this method of carry. While the pistol rides a little lower on my belt than I’d prefer its still much more concealable than I thought it would be.

What I’m looking for is a decent quality OWB holster that rides fairly high in either plain leather (don’t need shark, alligator or any other exotic stuff) or kydex. Looking for less than $100, closer to $50 if possible. Any ideas? TIA!
What is the gun you want to holster? No idea yet if you're talking about a Desert Eagle .50 or a Kel-Tec .32.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
There are lots of hi-ride OWB holsters available. 1911Forum has a topic showing 100s of them.

Here are two of the ones I use:

Use Bianchi Askins Avenger available on ebay for a few bucks
BianchiAskinsAvenger.jpg

New Davis Liberty
DavisLiberty.jpeg

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My step-son just gave me 2 holsters that match your criteria. The first is a Bianchi model 57 for my Colt 1911 Gov't Model. The other is a DeSantis Thumb Break for my Beretta 92F. Both are great holsters but I find myself carrying the 1911 with the Bianchi holster more and more. There are endless holsters out there from some great makers so enjoy the search.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Depends on what gun your talking about. The key to a larger gun carried high OWB for me is a heavy duty wide belt. Not a wimpy 1.5". I only use 1.75" purpose built gun belts for high rise OWB holsters and I only buy holsters for 1.75" belts. All of my pants fit a 1.75" belt so no slop on belt to pants or holster to belt.
This fit is critical to not having a gun (especially a butt heavy semi auto)to not want to continually tip outboard.
Holster has to be stiff enough of course to handle the weight.
Side Guard makes a good purpose built high ride pancake holster called the "high slide" but, he will tell you the same about belts.
I have also had some good ones from Don Hume that ride acceptably high for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Galco makes this one called the Silhouette for semi-autos and revolvers. I've thought about trying one for either a 1911 or L-frame, just haven't done it yet

View attachment 309712
Ergonomically, the pictured holster has some characteristics that may not be desireble for many users. First the cylinder is above the belt. Therefore, the center of mass/center of gravity is way above the belt. The tendency will be for the butt of the pistol to "tip" outward away from the wearer's torso. The location of the belt slots really won't allow the revolver to be pulled tight to the torso. The mouth of the holster is ~1/2" above the top of the belt. With the pictured 4" barrel, significant shoulder rotation and elbow lift will be required for the muzzle to clear leather.

Just sayin'... :embarassed: YMMV

Reactions: Struckat and DJC7

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ergonomically, the pictured holster has some characteristics that may not be desireble for many users. First the cylinder is above the belt. Therefore, the center of mass/center of gravity is way above the belt. The tendency will be for the butt of the pistol to "tip" outward away from the wearer's torso. The location of the belt slots really won't allow the revolver to be pulled tight to the torso. The mouth of the holster is ~1/2" above the top of the belt. With the pictured 4" barrel, significant shoulder rotation and elbow lift will be required for the muzzle to clear leather.

Just sayin'... :embarassed: YMMV
Regarding the bolded above, how can it tip out when the grip of the gun in the picture is tucked into the armpit? :smile: Anyway, it would be nice to know what gun the OP is looking to carry.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry folks. Didn't mean to drop the question and run. lol I currently carry a Bersa BP9CC. With the current OWB holster, the belt runs just about immediately behind the trigger guard if I'm remembering correctly. I'll have to verify when I get home from work. I guess I'm looking for something where the top of the belt is maybe halfway down the trigger guard or even toward the bottom. I generally carry at about 2:30 and the lower riding rig makes it difficult to place or retrieve anything in that front pocket. I know carrying a not-so-popular firearm is going to limit my choices so figured I would seek as many options/possibilities as possible. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts