Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up with an itch to go hiking this morning. Didn't have time to do so today but definitely will in the next couple of days.

I haven't been to any of the trails in a number of years, not since I've been carrying.

My question is: what are the OC laws/restrictions when it comes to hiking in the Phoenix area?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My understanding is that as long as it's not expressly prohibited (as in a posted sign), then it's ok. I could definitely be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
IANAL, but other than federal land you should be good to go. If you have a CCW then I would suggest concealing, though of course our fine state is an open carry state.

Be safe and have a great hike! I was up in Coconino National Forest a couple of weeks ago and it was a BEAUTIFUL time in the timbers.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
I woke up with an itch to go hiking this morning. Didn't have time to do so today but definitely will in the next couple of days.

I haven't been to any of the trails in a number of years, not since I've been carrying.

My question is: what are the OC laws/restrictions when it comes to hiking in the Phoenix area?
Trails within Phoenix city limits (e.g., South Mountain, Camelback, Piestawa) are posted with signs that limit you to concealed carry only, which means you need a CCW. The trails out in the Superstitions (Lost Dutchman, Peralta) are within National Forests, and open carry is permitted.

And if you end up on a reservation, you had best not be carrying at all. You'll lose your gun and your vehicle permanently.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trails within Phoenix city limits (e.g., South Mountain, Camelback, Piestawa) are posted with signs that limit you to concealed carry only, which means you need a CCW. The trails out in the Superstitions (Lost Dutchman, Peralta) are within National Forests, and open carry is permitted.
awesome thank you.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Remember no national park carry for a few more months!

Other then that national forests usually follow state laws. So if your state allows carry in state forest then the same is true for national.

Handgunlaw.us

Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES (If not posted)
State/National Forests: YES (If not posted)
WMA’s: NO AZGFD 17-305
Road Side Rest Areas: YES per AZDPS
RV/

As others have said in AZ in looks like you need to make sure the area your hiking in is not posted.

Have not seen that in AR MO TN or OK.

Otherwise your good to go.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just a heads up, the Estrella Mountain Park is posted. (I was hiking there last weekend.)

That said, there are some beautiful trails out there. And now is the time to be hiking (perfect weather)!

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Just a heads up, the Estrella Mountain Park is posted. (I was hiking there last weekend.)

"Posted" as in No Guns, or "posted" as in "firearms only in accordance with ARS XXX [the concealed carry statutes]"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts