Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the 11 O’clock news tonight the weather guesser’s are predicting Germaine will pass a few miles east of me so it might get interesting for a few hours. Not to worry I have plenty of food, water, gas, beer, ammo and first aid supplies. We are on the borderline separating the 5-inchs to 9-inchs of rain but even with the 15-inches of rain from Floyd we were above the flood line. I just hope we do not lose power since it is hard to watch TV by candlelight. I do worry about the people on the Outerbanks since they will get the brunt of the storm.

http://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/page/5878513/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes stay safe!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Well in the 11 O’clock news tonight the weather guesser’s are predicting Germaine will pass a few miles east of me so it might get interesting for a few hours. Not to worry I have plenty of food, water, gas, beer, ammo and first aid supplies. We are on the borderline separating the 5-inchs to 9-inchs of rain but even with the 15-inches of rain from Floyd we were above the flood line. I just hope we do not lose power since it is hard to watch TV by candlelight. I do worry about the people on the Outerbanks since they will get the brunt of the storm.

http://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/page/5878513/
You are definitely going to get wet. Hopefully the wind won't be too bad.

You might want to check the name of the hurricane, though. Germaine will have no affect on you at all.

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are definitely going to get wet. Hopefully the wind won't be too bad.

You might want to check the name of the hurricane, though. Germaine will have no affect on you at all.
My mistake should have been Hermain.

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Registered
6,368 Posts

Interactive Atlantic hurricane tracker - WRAL Hurricane Center :: WRAL.com
Amen to that! I have been stuck out at Avon on Cape Hatteras during a Nor'Easter and it ain't no fun! The locals that live there year around are pretty well versed on storms, it's the tourists from elsewhere that you worry about!

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
Ditto on...Stay Safe and DO remember that Mother Nature can be a fickle sort of female that can change her mind at the last minute...especially in these types of scenarios.

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
Moved out of Off-Topic/Humor to a more Survival Skills area of the forum. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Hermaine has been downgraded to a tropical storm and is located on the South Carolina/Georgia border. Last night all tourists were asked to evacuate Ocracoke Island since the storm may disrupt ferry service. I am 90 miles inland and have gotten less than an inch of rain so far but the winds have no picked up yet. So far the only problem on the coast is heavy surf and rip currents but no storm surge. Might go out in a little while and pick up a couple more propane bottles for the camp stove at least if the power goes off I can still have a hot meal and coffee.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Amen to that! I have been stuck out at Avon on Cape Hatteras during a Nor'Easter and it ain't no fun! The locals that live there year around are pretty well versed on storms, it's the tourists from elsewhere that you worry about!
Yeah, we rode out a nor'easter in Rodanthe in October a few years ago. Water was coming over the dunes, running down the side streets and running out into Hwy 12. A guy in the house next to us woke up one morning to his nice Dodge 4x4 truck buried in sand up to the body. It took a tow truck driver maybe an hour to dig and then drag him out. Water washed sand all around it all night long.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
There is a very good reason all the AC/ heat pumps on the OBX are on platforms usually 10' + feet above ground! :blink:

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything on the OBX is either on stilts or elevated somehow. Right now we have been getting a steady rain not real hard but enough to interfere with the satellite signal occasionally. Not much wind yet but it is not supposed to pick up until after midnight. Got a text from my sister, she live just north of Ocala, they lost power overnight but no damage just some debris blown around.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Sarge, how you holding? Further inland we've got pretty much nothing. Not even a mullet blow by typical standards. I don't think they over hyped this one, at least not too much, but we got a break it would seem.

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turned out not to be as bad as forecasted, got a good bit of rain but only had a few small branches come off the trees. Checked the rain gauge, it’s only marked to 5-inchs and it’s overflowing so we got at least 6-inchs of rain.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Glad to hear it was as bad as expected for others. Hampton Roads area, it hasn't been that bad mostly wind and rain on and off. I had the power flicker a few times, but in laws lost it for 8 hours. Some areas have experienced a little flooding but not too bad.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Noticed you called it a himicaine...that's your right.
However it reminded me of an old line from George Carlin about the operation called a hysterectomy which ABSOLUTELY should be called a HERterectomy!!!!!!:smile:

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Feminine name = hurricane
Masculine name = himicane
Just a joke on the politically stupid (correct)

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts