Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always liked these guns and want to add one to my collection some day.

Does anyone know what licenses or tax stamps I would need?
Can I even get one?

What about the regular MP5?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yeah, you can get one... but one will cost you about the same as a new truck.

And the novelty of it wears off rather quick.

There are semi auto clones out there that are pretty reasonable if you want one of 'em.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I believe for the FA guns you will need about $15,000 to $20,000,once locating one at a class 3 dealer you will need to fill out the form 4 pay for tax stamp and wait about 6 months til you are approved by ATF to purchase the gun.My buddy has the MP5 K and its fun to shoot on FA but it will cost you a small fortune in ammo to keep it fed once you buy one.He actually shoots his FA UZi more than his HK

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe for the FA guns you will need about $15,000 to $20,000
Well... I guess that won't be happening. Haha

Maybe I'll take a look at some clones.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Most EVERYBODY likes the HK MP5. But while the FBI HRT & Navy Seals have used & still have them available...most of the elite fire-eaters have moved-on to other options. As said above, you should be able to buy-in, all-legal, for ~$25k. Get down to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot and try-before-you-buy. You can rent time & ammo shooting an MP5 on the line. But be warned, this is NOT a budget hobby.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The only up side to one of these guns like any Auto gun is investment. The prices continue to climb EVERY year...very dependably. Like Sixto said though the novelty as a shooter does go away pretty quick. This site always makes me happy but makes realize the sheer cost of things of this nature. MACHINE GUN DEALER, MACHINE GUNS FOR SALE

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
A true MP5/MP5k? I don't think so; I don't think any were imported before '68.

However, there are converted HK94's (MP5) and SP89's (MP5k) out there...and, as someone pointed out, they cost more than a lot of new cars. Just the sear (the part that makes 'em a machine gun) runs better than $15,000, the last time I looked. A host HK94 will run around $3-4k, a SP89 a bit more. Add in getting the HK94 barrel chopped/replaced with a MP5 barrel, registering it...it adds up quick.

The nice thing, though, is if you buy a sear, you can register both a HK94 and a SP89 as MG's, and just swap the sear between them...

There are a couple of guys making semi-auto SBR clones based off of MP5 and 5k parts kits...those are only about 3k or so, but will still require a tax stamp.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
A true MP5/MP5k? I don't think so; I don't think any were imported before '68.
You mean 86 don't you

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You mean 86 don't you
No, 68--my understanding has always been that GCA 68 said all machine guns imported after that date were for LEO/M only.

Pre/post 86 was for for MG's built in the US.

I'll gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts

And the novelty of it wears off rather quick.

There are semi auto clones out there that are pretty reasonable if you want one of 'em.
Like sixto said,I can shoot several different FA's all I gotta do is supply the ammo,but It gets boring real quick,we spend more time shooting handguns and maybe once or twice a month I'll shoot a mag thru an UZI OR MP5,or AK47,Or M16,It burns a lotta ammo up really quick,

·
Registered
612 Posts
The clones are ok but you may have to work on them. I bought a Special Weapons SW5 (MP5clone) and the ejector was made out of soft metal. It would bend after a few rounds and nothing would eject. I spent top dollar on a real HK trigger group and the gun now functions flawlessly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts