Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Gander Mountain in Cary, NC this past week looking for .22 LR ammo.

They had none.

Why would folks in North Carolina, be hoarding .22 LR ammo????

Makes no logical or rational sense.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
What makes you think North Carolina is so special? :smile:

Rimfire ammo of almost any flavor has been generally absent from store shelves since about mid-January. It's popular for low-cost practice (under normal conditions) but also as a "coin of the realm" substitute for the preppers and also as a commodity for speculators. At the Phoenix gun show a couple of weeks ago I saw bricks of Federal bulk-pack with $80 price tags - 4x normal pricing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If there was decently priced ammo on the self why would you not buy it???? You can never have enough. It never goes bad. It will only be more expensive in the future. In a true SHTF scenario the lowly 22lr would be invaluable. Reloaders can't make 22lr, you either have it of you don't.

Now if you think all will be well be this summer and our country is not at a critical transition point then I could see your point that there is no need to hoard ammo, any ammo. Sure that attitude is what's causeing the panic. Hopefully the hoarders are wrong and all is well by summers end. If not the prices you see at CTD now could be cheap in the future. If you really needed ammo to protect your family and your neighborhood was in chaos nightly you would pay any amount to get it. Trying to procure ammo at that point could cost you your life. What is ammo worth to you. That the question you have to ask.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
You would think irrational buyers would go after the ammo fired by so-called "black" guns.
Maybe you haven't noticed,in the last few years,many Companies have manufactured AR15's in 22 LR,I believe that has contributed to the run on the 22 ammo,25+ round magazines,you can carry about 5 times as much ammo for the same weight as 223.In the future when 22 starts staying on the shelves and funds allow I will start stocking until I have about 200 bricks 100,000 rounds which will last me and my wife about a year of plinking,22 is the only round I can't reload

Reactions: Lightweb

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Hoarding & irrational ammo purchases?

You say that like there is something wrong with it?

:redface:

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Its called supply and demand. The demand is greater than the supply.
When you have a great demand and a limited supply, you can name your price and people will pay.
Its called freemarket 101 for you people that don't understand how it works.

And the term, "hoarding" is entirely subjective.

We are experiencing a cycle that continues on. .22 ammo is scarce, so when someone does see it, they buy it. When they buy it, the stock decreases until its gone.

Who here would have thought a few years ago, that one could not find .22 ammo anywhere? Don't blame it on the people that are buying it up, instead look at why they are buying it...if you can think clearly enough without your brain exploding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You would think irrational buyers would go after the ammo fired by so-called "black" guns.
They did, and when those were gone, moved on to other popular calibers like 9mm and .40... then when those got cost prohibitive, they went for the much cheaper .22lr. Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If there was decently priced ammo on the self why would you not buy it???? You can never have enough. It never goes bad. It will only be more expensive in the future. In a true SHTF scenario the lowly 22lr would be invaluable. Reloaders can't make 22lr, you either have it of you don't.
This is the exact reason preppers are hoarding it. In fact my prep trunk gun is a M&P 15-22. It is always in the trunk of my car with a go bag ready to roll.

And I have a duplicate setup in-home in case of a stay in place situation where I have anotehr Smith 15-22 as well as other rifles and shotties.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is what you call pure greed!
How is buying pure greed?

If a grocer buys up a good offering on melons and has a big melon sale - is that pure greed?

It's just business. Deal with it.
saa.

·
Super Moderator
18,826 Posts
"...when those were gone, moved on to other popular calibers like 9mm and .40."

I'm hogging the market in .32 Long Colt, .38 Long Colt, and .41 Long Colt myself.

Just a question to insert into a "hoarding bellyaching" kind of thread such as this but is there any angst being exhibited from the sidelines over unavailability of ammunition and the lack of foresight to have provided for one's future needs. Is there a tinge of green running through such threads in the envy of others' foresight, good fortune, means available to them to purchase, or even good ol' fashioned resourceful "hustle" to make the effort to acquire ammunition?

These "hoarding bellyaching" threads are popping up at this point in the ammunition shortage with some frequency across firearms forumland yet no reasonable solution is forthcoming from them. "Irrational" is frequently a descriptive term used in these threads however, while "irrational" obviously applies to others' ammunition acquisitions it never seems to describe the poster's perceived ammunition needs.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I went to the Gander Mountain in Cary, NC this past week looking for .22 LR ammo.

They had none.

Why would folks in North Carolina, be hoarding .22 LR ammo????

Makes no logical or rational sense.
Probably for the same reason so many buy an AR-15. Think about what you are saying and then look at your gun related purchases. Do you really need more than one gun? Two rifles? The anti-gun people are building their argument on the premises that our desire for a lot of ammo and guns is irrational and you seem to agree. :)

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Hoarders do not understand common sense........

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Hoarders do not understand common sense........
Perhaps they are the one with common sense.

They have the stuff that they need, and most don't. Those that don't call them "hoarders".
Those that do are called "preppers".

The preppers had the common sense to prepare, and those that didn't don't.

·
Super Moderator
18,826 Posts
We're all preppers to one extent or the other. Buying a week's groceries or filling the car is being a prepper. If we don't then we're ill-prepared. That means no favorite snacks or road trip in the car.

When considering ammunition supplies, it might mean no shooting next year ... or the next ...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts