Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a new custom leather owb holster delivered today (I can post pics in a bit) and I have a quick question.

It's darn tight, as in retention I mean. Have to struggle with it to draw. Care instructions from the maker says that I should lightly wet the inside of the holster with a spray bottle, holster the pistol (while it's still wet) and put the whole thing in a zip lock bag for 24 hours if it's too snug.

Anyone else think it's a bad idea to put your pistol away, wet, in a zip lock bag over night?

I'm not an expert gunsmith or anything, but I was always told to keep those things dry. This sounds just down right crazy to me.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Why not let the gun just sit in the holster for a couple days, then do a handful of "test" drawing/reholstering? Might well be all that it needs.

If you absolutely, positively can't get any improvement without a bit of help, the thin baggie approach is a method that some find useful. The risk is, it can loosen up a gun just enough to the point of being too much, if you're not careful. A little bit goes a long way, here. (And, with most holsters, there's no real going back, as there's no tensioning screw if you screw it up.)

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
wrap the gun in seran wrap and let it sit for a day or two in the holster...the seran wrap will take up space and cause it stretch just a touch...... no water needed

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
go to the grocery store and get wax paper..wrap the gun in the plastic grocery bag, then wrap the wax paper around it. shove it in the holster as far as you can and leave it there 24 hours. After 24 hours remove and insert the wrapped weapon in the holster 50 to 100 times..should be perfect after that.

Would not wet a leather holster under any conditions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Got me a new custom leather owb holster delivered today (I can post pics in a bit) and I have a quick question.

It's darn tight, as in retention I mean. Have to struggle with it to draw.
I just got one, too! Mine is an OWB holster from UBG, made for my Shield. :smile: It's also VERY tight.

I did not wet it (and wouldn't do so). Just wearing it around the house for several days has loosened it a bit, and it's starting to conform to my shape.

I've done the saran wrap method with IWB holsters, and I can vouch that it works as well... however, I didn't do it with this holster. I was worried about getting it too loose. With an OWB holster that has no strap, the only thing retaining the gun is the snugness of the holster. The belt is mainly providing support, not retention (unlike IWB holsters).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd say putting the pistol in plastic (Saran Wrap or Bag) then placing in a moist holster is feasible if it's still too tight. I would not put a "naked" gun in a wet holster unless necessary. Sooner or later though, your weapon will get exposed to moisture if you carry regularly. Wore mine bike riding th other day and I came back soaked.

·
Registered
148 Posts
wrap the gun in seran wrap and let it sit for a day or two in the holster...the seran wrap will take up space and cause it stretch just a touch...... no water needed
^^This--I used a large ziplock bag and put it in the holster overnight--it was good to go the next day.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
+1 on these suggestions.

Most of my holsters I have had to do the baggie trick. It does work. Some just for an hour or so, others overnight. None longer than that. Would not purposely wet my holster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to break a holster in by putting gun oil on it and leaving the gun in it for a while. It worked, but apparently it was the wrong thing to do. Holster is fine now, but I was pretty afraid the holster was shot for a while, but it eventually dried out and was okay.

Moral of the story: don't use gun oil to break in your holster.

·
Registered
161 Posts
From the picks you posted I wouldn't worry about it loosening up. The stitch line is so far from the periphery of the gun that it will get loose pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
I wouldn't be interested in adding any water at all.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
From the picks you posted I wouldn't worry about it loosening up. The stitch line is so far from the periphery of the gun that it will get loose pretty quick.
I was thinking the same thing, especially on the sight channel. Just wear it. I made myself a new leather rig a few weeks ago. It's finally getting really broken in to where I am wearing it. It's almost completely curved to my hip now.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Just do the ol' in-and-out a few hundred times. It not only stretches the leather, but it gives the pistol that sexy worn look.
That's Old School.......like it.

Reactions: deadguy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts