Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost all answers to newbie holster questions include "..and get a good belt". Belt made a huge difference with my OWB Hume JIT. My current IWB holster has very, very wide spacing between the clips--Don't have it with me, but I'm guessing that when worn, the clips are 10-12 inches apart on my belt. Works great with the duty belt I bought for the Hume, works just as well with the worn-out, skinny and limp belt I've been wearing before my CHL.

While the spacing of my holster's clips is inherent in the design, it seems that many holster designs, and especially IWB could be modified to a sort of outrigger design--A stiff but flexible section to get the attachment points far enough apart so a specific gunbelt wasn't necessary. I can't be the first to have thought of this, so there must be a reason it isn't reasonably common. Can anyone explain what's wrong with the idea?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Any other belt but a Gun belt flex's Too much with Gun Weight And some belts start to tear under the weight ..
Where as a gun belt is reinforced to prevent this

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Also the stiffness of a gun belt distributess the weight all around your middle , just like a duty belt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bud White said:
Any other belt but a Gun belt flex's To much with Gun Weight And some belts start to tear under the weight ..
Where as a gun belt is reinforced to prevent this
A normal belt is meant for inward and downward loads. Duty belts also need to resist sagging, and twisting caused by stuff dangling off the outside--I can see why they need to be stiff. With this particular IWB I think most of the loads that would normally require a duty belt are taken by being sandwiched between my pants and hip, and by the curve the holster takes when being worn. If I wear it with just pants and no belt rather than sagging it tries to rise up out of my pants rather than fall.

I'm not trying to say that a good belt doesn't make a big improvement for most holsters, but rather that it would not take that much to design concealed carry holsters to work with non-specific belts.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Ditto: That your belt selection is every bit as important as the holster you choose. :usflag:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I wear IWB 95% of the time and have holsters with a wide spread on attachment points and trust me a good gun belt is still needed

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bud White said:
I wear IWB 95% of the time and have holsters with a wide spread on attachment points and trust me a good gun belt is still needed
Sounds like I lucked out then, with either holster or body shape. I honestly don't notice the difference with this holster between a duty belt from the police supply store and a 1 inch wide, limp, worn-out casual dress belt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
sevesteen,
Just curious what manufacturer/model holster are you using??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark Garrity said:
sevesteen,
Just curious what manufacturer/model holster are you using??
Crossbreed Supertuck Adjustable. Wasn't going to mention it by name yet again unless asked, because I've already posted about it enough that people are going to think I'm a shill. No involvement with the brand except as a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Here is one thought also

Cost of 1911 Springer loaded

900$

Cost of good holster

50-150$

Self defense ammo 25$ per 20 need 2 boxes

After spending all that why scrimp and use a 10$ walmart special belt?

If it works for you cool but i prefer something i know isn't going to fail just cause the 38oz unloaded spring ain't light add 3 mags plus ammo to that belt and there to much chance that it will Fail .

Plus how they twist

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
To answer the question of glocksmygun pretty much all of the holster makers make good belts. They are usually double thickness stitched together and available in the width, finish and leather of your choice. I use a Rafter S and have also seen good ones from Andrews. Others love different brands but I suspect they all work equally well as long as they're made for the job.

For me they certainly make carrying my Commander more comfortable. I've tried it with and without. I'll stick to with!

Eric

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bud White said:
Here is one thought also

After spending all that why scrimp and use a 10$ Walmart special belt?
It's not entirely the cost of the belt, it's also style--If I'm wearing it as a tuckable, a gunbelt is probably not what I'd be wearing normally. If there was a big difference in comfort or performance, I'd wear the gunbelt, but if I can eliminate a clue that I'm carrying, great. Plus it's not $50-70, but $100-140, since I'd want both a brown and a black.

Expense is a part of it though--Wife and I have gone from no gun to both having CHL in a few months. Indoor range and gun rental fees to help pick a gun, the mandatory training class, ammo, joining the Fish and Game for a place to practice, CHL fees, the cost of the gun, (and we still need another) cost of a good holster (and we still need another...)

If it works for you cool but i prefer something i know isn't going to fail just cause the 38oz unloaded spring ain't light add 3 mags plus ammo to that belt and there to much chance that it will Fail .

Plus how they twist
I need a belt to hold my pants up, and typically wear it pretty snug, so $10 plastic belts don't work for me even without a gun. I'm also not that heavily loaded, just the gun and my PDA. Maybe that's why a skinny belt works for me with this holster- My wife wore it, and didn't like how tight she had to keep her belt. She doesn't usually wear a belt at all.

I don't doubt that most people see a need for a good belt, I'm just trying to figure out what's different for me and this holster.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, Sev... I lucked out and got a carbon fiber reinforced dress belt from Blackhawk on sale ($20) in my size. The difference is amazing. Sure, I don't have the holsters I want, but I've got the belt. I wear it anytime I wear my wingtips, and other times when I'm going untucked (they only make black). No one has ever noticed any difference between this belt and the leather Polo (Ralph Lauren) black dress belt I used to wear. Also, Western Gun Leather sells double thickness belts for about $10 more than what I can buy a casual belt at JC Penney's. For my middle, even without a gun, I'm sold. I hope to never go back to cheap one-ply belts ever again.

Michael

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks

Thanks alot ELCruisr. The informations you provided has been helpful. I have seen and heard of Andrews. I think I will give them a call and see what I can get.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
glocksmygun said:
I have never given belts much thought until reading this post. What are some good belts and what should you look for.

Howdy!

If you wear jeans or BDU's (or 5.11's) a Wilderness 5-Stitch Instructor's belt is a good option. They are quite dense and stiff, and provide a lot of lateral support.
If you are looking for leather, here's what I would suggest that you look for:
It should be made from two layers of full grain leather (smooth leather - not suede) AT LEAST 6/7 oz in weight. That means that the finished belt will be a bare minimum of 3/16" thick.

The leather chosen should be firm, dense, smooth and tight - no flanky/puckery/soft areas. This will make your belt expensive - get used to the idea.

The stitching should be with thread of adequate size (#277 as a bare minimum) and be tight, even and balanced. (no knots pulled either up or down thru the leather)

The buckle should be stout enough to hold a serious load, yet dressy enough in appearance as to not scream "GUN!!". It should be either solid brass, chrome/nickel plated solid brass or stainless steel. It should be secured by Chicago screws, or stitched in place.

The edges should be nicely finished, and overall it should look like a dress belt. It should also have a nice even dye job and final finish.

A pre-curved belt will also be more comfortable initially, and will speed it's "break-in" time a bunch.

Unless there is something out there that I am not familiar with, you should be spending a MINIMUM of about $70 for a decent leather gun belt (really good belts will run around a $100, + or - a few bucks).

I am sure there are others, but those that I have seen/used/worn or otherwise have first-hand knowledge of (and feel comfortable recommending) are those made by:

Jim the Belt Man: thebeltman.net
Milt Sparks : miltsparks.com
Josh Bulman: bulmangunleather.com
Lou Alessi : (716) 691-5615
myself: brommelandgunleather.com

I have a high degree of faith in (and respect for) the work of Matt DelFatti and Mark Garrity as well. However, I have no personal experience with their belts. Both have such superb reputations that I would not hesitate to try one, however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts