Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just gotten my CCW permit and am very comfortable carrying my H&K P2000 in a Stealthgear IWB. This configuration does not work for serious yard work - e.g., digging post holes. I really don't want to get a tiny pocket gun and I'm thinking SOB might be a good way to go. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
I've just gotten my CCW permit and am very comfortable carrying my H&K P2000 in a Stealthgear IWB. This configuration does not work for serious yard work - e.g., digging post holes. I really don't want to get a tiny pocket gun and I'm thinking SOB might be a good way to go. Any thoughts?
SOB won't get you anything you don't already have, and will introduce some unique shortcomings which you also don't already have. I use a 3:00 IWB holster all the time, regardless of activity, carrying a Glock 21.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wear your IWB holster between your pants and belt.
This will eliminate the need for a tucked in T Shirt and a cover shirt. That's how I carry here while working my Ranch here in North Texas. And it keeps most of the sweat off my handgun. And my big, over size T shirt I wear untucked over it allows my skin to breath.

Yea, we can Open Carry here and have always been legal on my property, I just don't too often, because it spooks some people when they drop by. That and if I go over to visit my neighbor I forget I'm packing and sometimes we take a break and run up to the Truck Stop for a cold drink.

I sweat buckets too. This works for me.

Forgot to add I have a SOB holster and would end up with a rash on my back if I carried my handgun there. Cannot see that as a good option for yard work. It would drive me crazy pressing in my back while driving the tractor.

We have coyotes, so I carry more for them

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
This may be one of the few scenarios where a cheap nylon holster may be your best bet. You're going to be sweaty and getting dirty doing yard work so you don't want to be messing up a nice leather rig. Kydex may also be a good option too.

Reactions: MAJOkie

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've never had problems with any of my IWB holsters while doing pretty serious work around the property. From normal upkeep to major projects, I haven't had any issues. That said, I've moved to OWB carry while not at work, and prefer pancake style leather holsters with a thumb strap for good solid retention. Currently its a Desantis model for my P229. It didn't cost a fortune, so when it gets scuffed up, rained on, or covered in mud, I just wipe it down and go on. It holds nice and tight to my side, so concealment isn't an issue when I choose to. There are plenty of high quality custom makers out there. My personal preference is Nelson Holsters for custom work.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
This may be one of the few scenarios where a cheap nylon holster may be your best bet. You're going to be sweaty and getting dirty doing yard work so you don't want to be messing up a nice leather rig. Kydex may also be a good option too.
True. I've even used a drop leg and a shoulder holster while working outside. It's especially handy if you're wearing a tool belt.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When I am working outside...I generally carry one of the 1911's in a fobus holster...cheap and works well for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll experiment. I can see IWB working, but don't know how that works with a tool belt. Time will tell. My first CCW foray tonight (Home Depot).

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
A pancake style with retention works well if I'm not driving the tractor. It's outside the waistband so not so sweaty. But in CA it means you will be wearing a cover shirt unless you are out of public view. [I don't know how rural you are.] If you are in and out of the driver's seat you might look at a crossdraw. They are much easier to reach while seated. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
If your serious yard work entails any work with a chainsaw you definitely want to keep whatever holster you use covered by a heavy shirt/ jacket! I found out the hard way years ago while cutting firewood, I was carrying my Ruger Single Six in a leather OWB holster w/ no garment covering it. The gun and holster were covered in saw dust/ wood chips and took me quite some time to clean out the gun and holster:ticking:! Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: AnthonyC

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Living on 3 acres, serious yard work is a regular thing at my place. During the late Spring we had a snake infestation due to the 60 acre lake that sits behind us rising 12 feet in elevation from the Spring rains, and displacing every critter around it's shoreline. So I started the Spring season carrying my 6" 629 in an old Bianchi belt holster, loaded with snake shot, around the property. It didn't take but a couple of days before I decided I needed to put that heavy beast away and carry something smaller so I switched to my Colt Detective Special, loaded with 3 snake loads and 3 defense loads. I tried a cordura belt holster but it was too unstable so I ended up using an old Bianchi #9R1 shoulder holster, which turned out to be a good choice. Yes, it gets sweated but I just hang it to dry and it's good for another day. And there is absolutely no way the Colt can come out of that holster unless I want it to. Another option, if you don't mind open carry around the property, is a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. My M&P sits in the DeSantis nice and tight, wouldn't worry at all about it coming out. But since I carry snake loads I prefer a revolver for being out on the property armed. If sweat is a concern to you, you may want to consider a kydex holster though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts