Defensive Carry banner

holster for when wearing a backpack - Ruger Mark IV 22/45

529 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  hardluk1
Help me out here. I plan on doing some hiking off the beaten path this year and I want to carry my Mark IV 22/45 Pac-Lite with me. Yeah, I coined that name myself. Anyway, I wear a Osprey Stratos 34 pack. What do you suggest? A holster on the pack waist belt will be right in front instead of on the side because of the pockets on the belt. Look at the backpack pictures and tell me what you think. Any solutions? I wonder if there's a chest holster that would work.

Thanks.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory
Electric blue Fashion accessory Fashion design Font Pattern
Sleeve Gesture Bag Workwear People in nature
Sleeve Rock-climbing equipment Bag Luggage and bags Recreation

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,887 Posts

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Alien Gear makes a backpack holster that mounts on the straps. While I don't use them for EDC, I do like Alien Gear for specialty holsters like this one because you can buy different shells for different firearms to use with it. Meaning, if you want to carry different firearms, you just have to buy an inexpensive shell to use with the holster instead of a whole new holster.

If you want a chest holster, I'm a big fan of Paradise Valley Leather. I've got one for my M44. Everything is custom and had made, and the quality is fantastic. I liked his leather work so much I did a follow up order for his leather cartridge carrier that can snap right on to it.

· Registered
11,339 Posts
You‘re already top heavy with a backpack, a drop leg holster would be a good alternative to keep a little bit of weight low & off your shoulders while also being very accessible.
Hiking in a drop leg?
That’s usually pretty uncomfortable.

· Registered
11,339 Posts
I believe it’s a viable option & no more uncomfortable than your suggestion of wearing a front pack (that’s currently unavailable) under a backpack?
Ok, have you tried either?

I don’t think you understand how a chest pack works in conjunction with a backpack.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
It has been a few years - probably 20 years - but I used a drop leg extender on my "military" web belt with a Bianchi military holster to carry my 1911 when I backpacked. I remember getting a few strange looks when running into someone, but my weapon was accessible and didn't interfere with my backpack.

· Registered
78,969 Posts
I carried a Ruger .41 Mag Blackhawk in a shoulder holster when I carried a backpack in Alaska. Never seemed to be an issue. Carried it that way any time I was out in the bush.

· Registered
287 Posts
Man, I really hate to be "that" guy but I think you should consider a more capable gun.
If you are going to add the weight of a gun to your load, why not make it a more effective and versatile gun, than a 22.
I can't find your exact model but what I found is a Ruger Mark IV at 25 oz. You should be able to find a more potent caliber at that weight, even less.
You may not be going into bear country but you probably will be going into people (or other critter) country.

· Registered
11,339 Posts
Man, I really hate to be "that" guy but I think you should consider a more capable gun.
If you are going to add the weight of a gun to your load, why not make it a more effective and versatile gun, than a 22.
I can't find your exact model but what I found is a Ruger Mark IV at 25 oz. You should be able to find a more potent caliber at that weight, even less.
You may not be going into bear country but you probably will be going into people (or other critter) country.
I took it as that gun was going to add to the cook pot. But yeah, if it’s for defense… I would go bigger caliber.

· Registered
4,550 Posts
If I was going to kill for food along the way then carry a savage rascal at 2.71 lbs in the pack and deal with the extra 3 lbs with ammo or carry with a Boonie Packers Safari Safari Sling , look it up . Then carry at least one of the 12 to15 20oz empty mini 9mm pistols on the lower back pack waist strap in a paddle holster so I can grab it if needed now for something more dangerous than a tree rat or bunny .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts