Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get my CCW permit in about another week and have been practicing carrying with the 14 dollar kel-Tec belt clip. I am not looking forward to purchasing/returning or not being able to return a dozen or so holsters before finding a system that works. Is there any way to get it right in the first few tries?

The Kel-Tec belt clip works great for sturdy pants/shorts (not basketball shorts or workout pants)with a longer shirt untucked.

For dress clothes I am thinking a super tuck.

For work outs I am thinking the 5.11 under armor holster shirt.

Any word of advice from the guys with full holster drawers full of rejects? I guess I'm not looking for holster recommendations and I know I'll try and read as many reviews as I can before buying. Guess I'm reaching in the dark hoping to prevent the inevitable.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Buy cheap, buy often.

Spend the money for a well made and well proven holster. As to the clip, I would never use any method of retaining a firearm that didn't cover the trigger guard. Kel Tecs are usually pretty small and light so you should have good luck with any of the main stream holsters and belts. Good luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts

i use this holster every day in my right back pocket with my KT-3AT in it. i carried the 3at with the belt clip for about a year before i bought the pocket holster. i couldn't go back to the clip and the exposed trigger. the chances for a ND go up with an exposed trigger. along with my blood pressure...

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Pocket carry is the way to go IMO. :hand10:

·
Registered
493 Posts
See what your friends may have if they carry.. Try them out, and a GOOD belt will pay off in spades once you begin to carry..

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sorry but you will wind up with a drawer of holsters for different occasions. Go with a good belt and good manufactures. Cheap doesn't pay in the long run.
Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I couldn't carry without the trigger being guarded. For a weapon of that size I agree pocket carry in a holster is the way to go. Some of the better holster makers really have outstanding products.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You will need at a minimum:

A good leather IWB tuckable, a good plastic or leather OWB with retention, and a good shoulder rig. You should also investigate an SOB to see if it's right for you depending on your carry needs. (It isn't for most folks.)

Pocket holsters, ankle holsters, smart carry, etc are for those folks who have other issues beyond the everyday norm for concealment or who carry mouse guns.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Crossbreed SuperTuck, Galco Miami Classic 1 or 2 shoulder holster, SERPA level 3 OWB, and a The Beltman belt and you'll be good to go

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
sorry i may have missed which kel tec youre carrying...if the belt clip has been working for you you may be able to start cheap and find something that will work for you...

for a small .380 i have found a little clip on pushup holster works great and holds the gun in a position below the belt line and hidded very well...the draw is very easy and reholstering simple even without a reinforced mouth because your fingers can lead the gun into the holster due to its small size...i have a very small nylon push up that is comfortable and i dont even know the gun is present when i am wearing it...

moving up in size to a 9mm you can start inexpensive with a holster most are very satisfied with and very reasonable...a don hume 715...all leather with a reinforced mouth and available for less than $30...i carry a taurus pt111, glock 19 and glock 30 in don humes and have gone away from some expensive holsters back to the don hume because it is very comfortable and quick on and off...

there are a lot of nice holsters out there and a lot of cheap crap...it doesnt take long to find out youve bought something that doesnt work....do a search here and youll find a lot of different opinions...you might want to try soem of the recommended inexpensive holsters before spending a lot...youd be surprized how nice some of them are...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crossbreed SuperTuck, Galco Miami Classic 1 or 2 shoulder holster, SERPA level 3 OWB, and a The Beltman belt and you'll be good to go
i can see the logic in this. Combined with the option for runners that I saw in another thread and I think your right. You cant get away with not buying a few but i believe if I get the variation of the right ones at least i can get it right the first time, thanks all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like my Supertuck so much that I don't currently see the need for an OWB...and I carry a full size 9mm (Bersa Thunder 9 HC). I am sure I will eventually get one simply to feed the beast, but the Supertuck is such a high quality IWB that I can't envision a situation where it won't work. For CC I would recommend you start there. They make the MiniTuck for the 3AT

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree no owb would be needed if I have a good IWB. The reason I posted this thread is because I had just bought the 5.11 under armor holster shirt and then went and read reviews only to find out that it suffers a major flaw, insane itcyness.

I think as long as I read as many reviews as I can before buying and maybe ask a few questions here than I wont have any issues.

So far the wasted money has been 14 dollars for the belt clip, 30 for a stupid universal ankle holster and now prolly 60 for the soon to arrive itchy 5.11 holster shirt.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Shop here, I have for dozens of holsters...HOLSTERS

·
Registered
809 Posts
Have you ever said what Kel Tec you have? A holster for a P3AT and a P11 may be far apart for what works for everyone here. I would say most have assumed you're carrying a P3AT.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you ever said what Kel Tec you have? A holster for a P3AT and a P11 may be far apart for what works for everyone here. I would say most have assumed you're carrying a P3AT.
Ow sorry,,, I have a p3at and also a pf9

Sorry but you will wind up with a drawer of holsters for different occasions. Go with a good belt and good manufactures. Cheap doesn't pay in the long run.
Semper Fi
That's always been my experience too. Pay twice and much and get a quality product.

.......... for a small .380 i have found a little clip on pushup holster works great and holds the gun in a position below the belt line and hidded very well...the draw is very easy and reholstering simple even without a reinforced mouth because your fingers can lead the gun into the holster due to its small size...i have a very small nylon push up that is comfortable and i don't even know the gun is present when i am wearing it...

moving up in size to a 9mm you can start inexpensive with a holster most are very satisfied with and very reasonable...a don hume 715...all leather with a reinforced mouth and available for less than $30...i carry a taurus pt111, glock 19 and glock 30 in don humes and have gone away from some expensive holsters back to the don hume because it is very comfortable and quick on and off...

there are a lot of nice holsters out there and a lot of cheap crap...it doesn't take long to find out you've bought something that doesn't work....do a search here and you'll find a lot of different opinions...you might want to try some of the recommended inexpensive holsters before spending a lot...youd be surprised how nice some of them are...
Thanks for the info I have both a p3at and pf9

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ow sorry,,, I have a p3at and also a pf9

That's always been my experience too. Pay twice and much and get a quality product.

Thanks for the info I have both a p3at and pf9
both of these guns are very small and lightweight...they require very little extra support and you can get away with lightweight equipment to carry them...dont get carried away with more dollars equals better carry...light guns like these are easily carried...you dont have to wear swat equipment for the small stuff...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts