Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up my new GLOCK 23 this Wednesday. Same day, I'll be sending off my app for the CW permit.

More than likely, I'll follow the advice I'll get from the shop where I bought the weapon, as I decided to do buisness with them after having talked to the guys there quite a while. They seem to be pretty straight-forward, no-nonsense types.

But are there any holsters for concealed carry that I should avoid?

If it helps, I'm pretty much "averaged." 5'8", 170 to 180 lbs (it tends to vary,) so I have "fat pants" and "thin pants." I tend to were jeans & T shirts when not at work, where I wear scrubs. (Can't carry there!)

Suggestions? (What to avoid, what to consider?)

mm

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Best t shirt concealment I have found was IWB. From there the choices are many. Leather, kydex, nylon. Alot is personal prefence, as well as what is comfortable to you. Most of us have a box or 2 of holsters we have tried before settling on what we currently use. I would try a few nylon IWB, OWB ect, find what type fits ya, then try to find a good quality hoster. Most low end nylon holsters are cheap compared to leather.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Stay away from the Fobus Glock holsters, which are everywhere. They're fine for range work -- I wear a Fobus strong side holster and matching mag pouch for training sessions at the range, for example -- but they're really not a very good (nor very secure) holster.

I have a beautiful leather IWB rig from Concealco.com that I'm testing right now.

Over the weekend, a trainer recommended Comp-Tac holsters to me. I trust his judgment.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Fobus as it seems they have had a few problem making them recall holsters .. Plus i just dont like um anything else should be good :image035:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I carry my 637 SW and sometimes a 1911 in a Fobus. I have had no problems. I will get a new belt and holster. However, no problems. It is like I am not even carrying the little 38.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Maybe I'll agree Mike on Fobus - but as to others to avoid - well, as most of us find, choice of rig is in the end rather personal - as in - what suits the individual.

No me - I do not like IWB, never have and as I sweat so much they are just not practical. I do tho use OWB's that are nice and tight in and frankly have no concealment prob's.

I would avoid cheap - meaning - worth having one our esteemed holster guys supply something in good leather. I personally would avoid a retention strap - just me tho.

Know what - we need a common room to be able to all meet up - show rigs and try stuff - so much easier than doing it just thru text!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with P95.

In my experience it is better to abvoid cheaper holsters. They will just clutter your closet and you will eventually end up buying a better quality holster anyway.

Avoid Uncle Mike's and other nylon or neoprene holsters because they wear out and unravel really fast if you carry daily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wear a Done Hume IWB for my G23 and it is by far one of the most comfortable holsters I have tried. I put it on an forget about it all day whether or not I am driving, sitting, or walking all day. Besides that it was only $34. I'm 5'10" and 185lbs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I honestly believe asking others what holster to get is like asking your friends what girl to date. You'll get many opinions, but will you really get what YOU like?

Nothing wrong with getting some info though, just make sure what you get is COMFORTABLE!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Holsters that I cannot recommend are those made of so-called ballistic cloth such as Uncle Mikes, etc. Just have never worked out for me in any way. Also, as a rule of thumb I avoid really cheap holsters. For me, they have never worked out either. Buy a quality holster and a quality gun belt and you're on the right track.:yup:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the subject. Going "cheap" would certainly be a mistake, I'll be looking for "reasonable," as I've found that sometimes, you wind up paying for the name and getting little else.

For me, I guess I'll be looking for leather and beyond that, I'll just have to try some out to see what works out best.

The hardest part will be to make myself go straight from the gun shop to get finger printed and photographed so I can send off the app for the permit, before going to the range!:rolleyes:

Its been quite a while since I've done any shooting and I want to empty a couple of ammo boxes ASAP. :biggrin2:

mm

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After Action Report.

Wednesday, I did pick up the new G 23. :biggrin2: No unexpected "Brady Denial" problems (like I'd been seeing happen in my dreams,) nice and smooooth!

While there, I also grabbed 150 rounds, a cleaning kit, ear protection, and of course, the wrong holster.

"Wrong holster?" Well, according to much of what I've read on this Forum (and several others.)

Actually, on the face of it, the Fobus paddle seems pretty much OK. I figured since the guy at the shop was wearing one and it would not be an "expensive mistake," why not get that one and I'd at least have something to keep it in while driving. The shop really didn't have anything in leather, in stock.

Rather that go straight to the range, I decided to get on down to the SO office and do the electronic finger print thing, and from there, on to a Walgrens Drug store for a passport photo. The idea being to get my CCW app in the mail, as soon as possible.

So, I didn't get to shoot until today. To my surprise, I found an indoor range about 15 minutes from my house! Fairly nice place, friendly "talkable" gent behind the counter.

I'd not fired a handgun for more than 5 years. So I ran the first target (large silhouette) all the way out to the 25 yard marker. I looked at it, chuckeld and ran it back up to the 7 yard position. Like I said, it had been a while. . .

I poped off 120 rounds and was pleased that my last few 5-shot strings could each be covered by a hand placed over them. :smile:

Not exactly "Dead-Eye Dick," but under the circumstances, not bad.

Funny thing was that once I got "in the groove," it really didn't matter if I was shooting slow-fire, or a bit faster, maybe 5 rounds in about 2 1/2 seconds.

What I did notice is that my transition lenses would sometimes have me seeing two front sight dots in stead of the one that is actually there. Anyone else have any problem with that type of glasses?

While at the range, I just had to do some more shopping and picked up another "tupperware" holster. This one I like much better! Its a CQC carbon fiber job, with that interesting retention lock.

The reason I like that lock is that not only does it secure the pistol, but it makes it easy to keep the finger OFF the triger. When I grab the pistol, my trigger finger has to go on the outside of the holster to push the release. That turns out to be almost an instinctive mover, right off the bat.

When I pull the gun from the holster, the trigger finger is almost automatically positioned along side the frame and not on the trigger, as I think I should be doing with the GLOCK. This holster seems to be better constructed than the Fobus and can be converted from a paddle to a belt hanger.

So, no, not leather, but it will do for now.

All in all, it was a good day.

mm

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mike - thx for the write-up.

All in all - yeah I'd say pretty OK :smile:

The Fobus will do for now but I reckon later you will enjoy the benefits of a good leather rig. The carbon fiber deal too is probably well OK too but again - once you have good leather you'll appreciate it I think.

Do practice draw with finger clear of trigger - it can transition to trigger during the bringing up to ready - good to make that a habit even from rig with no retention.

Glad you (obviously) enjoyed yourself and glad too you found a seemingly friendly range not too far away.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I'm just learning who to listen to on this Forum, maybe more like who's advice to pay more attention to, as I do want as many different opinions as I can get.

Your name has already been placed on my "short list" of "experienced voices."

The Fobus I'll probably keep, but for now, I'll be using the Blackhawk CQC carbon fiber holster. Other than it looks like it will hold up better in the long run, the fact that it almost forces me to draw with my finger outside the trigger guard was the deciding factor.

After all, its a major shift for me to draw a weapon that has a round chambered with no external safety, or exposed hammer. And keeping the finger OFF the trigger until the target has been aquired seems rather important with the G23.

One thing I've discovered is that I'm most likely looking at a bit of a wardrobe change to carry concealed. . . I'm 5'8 and my weight varies from just under 170 up to 180 lbs, max. Usual off-work mode of dress has been jeans and a T shirt.

Wearing my normal, medium-sized T, the gun prints quite badly, no matter what position I wear it in. (I prefer 3:30 or so, just behind the right hip.) I'm going to try a larger T shirt and see if that makes the difference. :rolleyes:

Guess another answer might be button shirts, cut to be worn un-tucked, but I'd like to avoid something obvious like vest if I can.

I'll play with it and see what works. And I will keep an eye out for a leather holster, too.

Thanks again! :smile:

mm

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mike - thank you - you flatter me!! I am but one who offers opinion, that's all it is, but put all the folk's opinions in the melting pot and hopefully some good comes out of it!

Larger T-shirt may help - plus dark better than light IMO - patterned even is good re shirts. If you can manage a true shirt - that can be kept open,that IMO is one of the best possibilities.

Once we start carrying, it is surprising how much thought we give (have to give!) to our dress options. I choose my gun and dress to suit that - tho for me it did not involve that big of a change actually.

You will have to experiment and use ''Mr Mirror'' a bit to check things out. Being FL of course you won't be wanting any heavy gear like I might use. Hawaian shirt with pattern sure will help - and that can be worn undone - makes for good draw and concealment.

My maxim is - carry (for me) the largest gun I darn well can - and keep it concealed :icon16:.

See how things go and report in often!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Mike:
You're starting out well, a darned good weapon and a carry permit right off to boot! As many have said, most of us have a box or drawer full of holsters that just didn't measure up - unfortunately it's such a personal preference that most people can't avoid the phenomenon.

While most people tend to prefer quality leather, we have a fair number of kydex/concealex fans here too (Comp-tac comes to mind). We've got some of the very best holster makers in the business right here on the Forum and, without exception, they're a great bunch of guys. I highly recommend checking their respective websites, I guarantee you'll find something that makes you drool! The wait for a custom leather rig can be agonizing but it's all worth it when you strap it on for the first time.

Welcome to the best Forum on the web!
Jack

·
Administrator
143,806 Posts
Printing

A firearm will always "print" under any shirt with a Fobus Paddle Holster.
It's impossible to pull the firearm in tight enough to the body.
Maybe if a carry person is as thin as a rail & wears a "T" 2 sizes oversize...they could get away with wearing one. Maybe.
Use it for a range holster or throw it away.
One or the other.
Fobus paddle holsters are an extremely poor design for concealed carry.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The fobus that I was given a few years ago now has the paddle removed, and the main part that holds the G22 is attached to the file cabinet between the seats of my service type van. Open vehicle carry has always been ok in the state I travel in most, and it makes a great place to put the gun when driving.

I can never bring myself to throw anything away, but sometimes you can find other uses for it that the original designers intended.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Hi Mike
I've had many holsters in my time, as all of us here. I'm the type that never wants to bring attention to what I'm carrying. I avoid the exposed muzzel types. I currently carry most of my wapons in either a Galco, or the higher-end type paddle, pancake types.
My Glocks usually sit inside a Galco, Don Hume, thype. I also have the Bianchis as well. Like most of the Forumites mention, the Fobus is a bit cheap for starters, and you'll move up to something good for conceilment. Lined is good to consider also.
We currently have some REALLY GOOD leathersmiths within the Forum..Check em out..You can't go wrong

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And to think the guy at the range told me that leather holsters were going "the way of the Dodo." :blink:

I will most likely use the Fobus mounted on my bed frame so I won't have to fumble around in the nightstand drawer should my beauty rest be disturbed.

The holster I will carry with (when my permit gets here,) will be the Blackhawk CQC carbon fiber one that I bought at the range. (Although I hear I bought too late to actually save the Dodo from extinction.)

It can be worn as a "belt holster," or as a paddle-type. I tend to like the paddle because it is easy to remove when I need to park it in the truck to enter a "No Carry Zone," without having to partially undress in the parking lot.

But as I said, I will keep an eye out for something in leather, perferably made by a Forum member.

There is a chance that I just might decide that this particular holster that I just bought (the CQC,) is the one that works for me.

P95Carry really made my day when he mentioned the loose-fitting, loud print Hawaian shirt.! :biggrin2: For a number of years, that kind of shirt was pretty-much my trademark! Now I can go back to that, but this time wear them unbuttoned over a tucked in T shirt and no one will likely view that as a sudden change in my usual mode of dress.

I did have one or two of those shirts in the closet that I still wear from time to time. I tried them out and they worked out fairly well. I'll need to get a few more, slightly larger, and I'll be good to go.

Next chance I get, I'll get a couple and a wider belt. That should do it!

Thanks for all the help!

mm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts