Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a j frame holster for running, cycling, and other active pursuits...

What’s out there that you all like? I’m set for normal carry, but I need an “active” holster...

Reactions: dp1911 and OD*

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
What I have been using is a Sticky holster. I pull the draw string snug on my running pants and it seems to stay pretty well with a minor adjustment here and there.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I don't run much anymore But I have had one of these for several years. It gets the gun off my hips, It's in a good place to draw from, and it doesn't scream gun. Mine is the larger bag But the J frame bag is plenty big. And it would also work for cycling! It has room for a wallet, gun, phone, keys, etc. DR

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a gun you don't have to run.
Some of us choose to. Statistically speaking, heart disease is more likely to kill any of us than a mugger or home invader. And if the SHTF, being in good physical shape means I’m more likely to survive. It’s simply another form of preparation.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I don't run much anymore But I have had one of these for several years. It gets the gun off my hips, It's in a good place to draw from, and it doesn't scream gun. Mine is the larger bag But the J frame bag is plenty big. And it would also work for cycling! It has room for a wallet, gun, phone, keys, etc. DR

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6

That is an interesting pack right there! Looks to be well made and I agree, it does not scream gun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hill People Gear kit bag - I've got the big one (which fits a 4" N frame), if all you want is one to hold a j-frame the runner's kit bag is cheaper and smaller. Looks harmless, can hold wallet/keys/phone as well in the other pockets. Used it mostly while biking, as it can also hold bike tools in the extra pockets.

I do have a Bianchi 9R for my S&W 340, it's a fantastic shoulder rig that I use often, but being a shoulder rig you probably want a cover garment - probably fine now, maybe not so much in summer. HPG bag is nice as it doesn't require a cover garment, so it's equally good in summer as well.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
When I did trail riding on both dirt bike and horse back I used a old ankle holster took it to the boot maker and had him add some straps added and set it up as a chest holster, he put straps on for $10.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm an active cyclist. The only thing that I trust is a pocket holster. I don't like belt holsters or fanny packs. I ride in street clothes.
I actually had my J frame fall out of a waistband holster when I stopped to skip rocks across the water. I thought it was a secure holster but my hip movements when throwing were too much for it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't run much anymore as I bike and hike more than anything else - OK, I don't run at all anymore. I often use a Tanker Shoulder Holster when I bike, hike, or cross country ski, but I have never used the belt loop at the bottom of the holster. Just for grins and giggles, I put on a pair of "running" shorts the other day that needed a belt (this was before it snowed here). I ran about a half mile with a full size 1911 in a Tanker holster USING the belt loop to secure it. OK, it was only a half mile, but it worked fairly well. A little chaffing at the next, but I think that could be fixed. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
33,895 Posts
I don't run much, but I do spend a fair amount of time on a bicycle. I carry an M&P .45 Shield in a modified Dara AIWB, comfortably and easily concealed.

Reactions: Recon1342

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve been working on a Hill People style harness with some nylon webbing and a first aid pouch I dug up. It works very well in the kayak, and will be tested out this week for running.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts