Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SP-101 2 1/4" w/concealed hammer. I'm interested in getting one or more holsters for concealed carry (I currently have a SmartCarry, which is fine for deep concealment). I'd really like something the clips on/off my belt quickly so I don't have t get 1/2 undressed to add/remove the holster. Also, I'm a big guy, so that limits what's comfortable for me. Any holster recommendations that might work well for me?

As I look as holster ads, some specify the need for a hammer for the holster to work properly. That makes me worry that I could buy a holster that's unsafe with my model. What distinguishes a holster that's OK for a hammerless gun vs a hammered model?

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I have an SP-101 2 1/4" w/concealed hammer. I'm interested in getting one or more holsters for concealed carry (I currently have a SmartCarry, which is fine for deep concealment). I'd really like something the clips on/off my belt quickly so I don't have t get 1/2 undressed to add/remove the holster. Also, I'm a big guy, so that limits what's comfortable for me. Any holster recommendations that might work well for me?

As I look as holster ads, some specify the need for a hammer for the holster to work properly. That makes me worry that I could buy a holster that's unsafe with my model. What distinguishes a holster that's OK for a hammerless gun vs a hammered model?
Nothing...IMHO...the hammer has nothing to do with the effectiveness, reliability, or comfort of any holster.:bier::22a:

·
Registered
62 Posts
It would only matter if you were looking for something with a thumb break type retention device that engaged the back of the hammer while holstered. With open top you should have no problems, and they make other retention devices for hammer-less guns.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
A thumb break for a hammerless model generally uses the trigger guard instead of the hammer to keep the gun in place.

·
Registered
641 Posts

This is my 2-1/4" Ruger SP101 in a 2 0'Clock Carry by Comp-Tac. Easy on the belt, easy off, and secure when in place.

I'm also a big guy and this combo works well for me.

Note that the hammer and the holster don't even come close to touching each other. This will be the case in any well made holster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts