Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone\'s preference for carrying concealed? I am looking for a holster to carry concealed and can\'t make up my mind about what position to carry in. Any preferences on belt, IWB, belt, etc? While I like the idea of carrying in a shoulder holster, for me that is probably not possible very often.

This question relates to my CZ 2075 .40 S&W.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Carry Preference

I think there are as many holster carry preferences as there are people. I am still trying to find my ideal carry, but I usually wear a Galco.

I have a number of belt holsters that I use only for open carry and in that category I am partial to the Galco Fed Paddle (see picture). It is adjustable to wear either strong or off side (crossdraw) and can be canted either forward or backward. I wear it almost exclusively on the strong side at 4 o\'clock, which seems to be where it hides the best place for me. It prints easily if you wear it under an untucked shirt when you bend so you have to be careful in concealed carry.

For some reason I have never tried the elastic belly band holsters worn around the waist or chest under a shirt, but that is probably my next purchase.

I have also tried a shoulder holster, but living in Arizona it\'s just not practical since I never wear a jacket or coat.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Galco Scout IWB Holster

Here\'s a picture of a Galco Scout IWB that is a capable IWB carry holster I bought on sale at the last Phoenix Gun Show. It works well unless you have a wide belt. With the \"J\" belt hook, it sort of lifts up the edge of my Wilderness belt a bit. No big deal but it looks a little weird.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also use a Galco

A couple of years ago, for Christmas, Bill bought me a purse from Galco that has a holster made into the center of it. It is easy to carry without always being aware that you are which is important to me. I can\'t wear a belt or waistband holster like men do. If you have wives or girlfriends that carry, you might want to try one out.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Galco Purse Holster

Every since I bought that purse for her I have looked for them when I do a traffic stop or speak with a woman on the job. One of these days I am going to surprise someone when I ask about it. For women (and maybe some men) this seems like a great way to carry concealed. I hope I didn\'t hurt any of you guys'feelings, lol :)

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Galco Holsters

I have several different holsters but I really like Galco\'s fit and quality. For a large scale manufacturer they do pretty good.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Galco

I have always liked leather holsters rather than nylon and now plastic and I especially like Galco. Custom work is fine, but for the masses, Galco makes a very good quality product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. I prefer leather
2. shoulder holster good for driving
3. dont like SOB holster\'s because of location...not good for any seated position and possibilty of landing on back/spine
4. Im too fat for IWB unless I buy a new wardrobe.
5. I like Galco but don\'t currently own one I do have a OWB from www.haugenhandgunleather.com and really like it

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Since this thread started I have probably bought 7 or 8 different holsters. Some I like, some I don\'t. I bought yet another IWB a couple of months ago made by Ross Leather in South Africa and really like it. It is a knock off of a Milt Sparks Summer Special but lacks the snaps making it necessary to put the holster on before the belt. I am thinking a Summer Special may be on my short list....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Milt Sparks VM-II. By far the finest, most comfortable set up I have ever used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
\"For some reason I have never tried the elastic belly band holsters worn around the waist or chest under a shirt, but that is probably my next purchase. \"

I have one for that I use here in FL. All of my pistols fit and wearing it under the arm they are all concealable with any problems. The G21 does\'nt seem to weigh as much wearing it this way. it also has room to carry an extra mag..:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I prefer IWB, and I\'m a skinny guy, so it\'s important to me that a holster not add a lot of bulk to the weapon. In that respect I actually like the cheap Uncle Mike\'s IWB I have for the CZ-52, it adds very little bulk. I haven\'t bought anything better for the \'52 because I never carry it, it stays under the driver\'s seat in my car.

For my Makarov I have a leather Falco IWB that I got from makarov.com, but I found that the thick leather added quite a bit of bulk. The best thing I have found (for me) is the Bianchi Model 6. Very simple, inexpensive holster, made of a single ply of suede-like cowhide, and a strong spring-metal belt clip.
The leather is very thin and flexible, so a holster like this feels pretty much like Mexican carry without the risks of snagging on the draw or losing your gun out your pant leg.
The Model 6 is shown on Bianchi\'s website, but seems quite hard to find. Both the ones I have I bought at a hole-in-the-wall hunting/fishing/sporting goods/gun store here in Raleigh. The first one I bought was marked for a Glock 26, but fits my Makarov like a glove. The second was marked for several compact pistols, but was the best fit I could find for my Ecuadorian Air Force Llama .380, a Spanish-made copy of a Colt Mustang. A few lines of stitching with an awl and it\'s now a perfect fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a new member here, I figured I would get my feet wet on a favorite topic of mine.

I prefer IWB carry with a well made holster. My favorite holster maker is Lou Alessi. It takes a while to get one, but it is worth the wait.

Of Lou\'s designs, I use the Watch Six Dual Talon he and Sparks designed for my J frame. I am soon to take delivery on a Hideout model for my 2.5\" Model 66 and one for my Sig 2340.

For my S&W 325PD, I went to Tucker leather. I chose his Revolver Texas Heritage.

Next holster I buy, when the dust settles a little, will be a belt slide for the Sig. That will come from Andy Aratoonian at Horse Shoe Leather in the UK. I had one of his holsters once and the fit and finish are excellent.

Great forum, Thanks,

·
Banned
29 Posts
I prefer the front pocket.

The gun I prefer is an alloy framed SubCompact 1911, in 38 Casull. With a Detonics \"slash\" of the top rear of the slide, rounded front end of the slide, and an alloy grip safety, the gun weighs 21 ozs. It gets 60 gr bullets to 2300 fps, for 700 ft lbs of energy, and really high levels of shock and tissue destruction. It\'s a bit fierce in the recoil-control dept, but I can still get .20 second splits with it, at 10 ft ranges.

·
Registered
102 Posts
smartcarry is my holster

I like the smartcarry holster for its deep concealment capabilities and its versatility. I can wear it the way shown on the website with nothing but swim suit on if I choose and nobody knows I’m carrying. Of course its about 10 degrees here in MI so I’m not in swim suit at this time. :) Anyway the only access problem I’ve found with this holster or for that matter any IWB holster is when I’m sitting in a vehicle. If I’m heading to the city I simply raise the smartcarry’s pouch up to my waistline so that the grip of the gun is just above my belt. This gives me easy access to my revolver. I also carry the holster esp. in winter as a chest holster just under my shirt with the help of some clip on shoulder straps my SO made for me. The rev is then located at about 11:00 and positioned between my nipple line and belly button. I usually wear flannel shirts in the winter. With this method of carry I just leave one button unbuttoned and I have very quick access to the revolver. Works for me! :cool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
RAMI rig? Like this? http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/

Also, High Noon holsters makes nice RAMI leather.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I tote an all steel 5\" 1911 in a Brommeland MaxConVI. This is an inside the waistband rig that is without a doubt, the most comfortable way to carry a gun I have ever used. I dont have any pics, but Gary\'s website is
www.Brommelandgunleather.com
One thing I might suggest to new holster-seekers out there, get a GOOD GUNBELT. That will make a lot of difference in how well your roscoe totes.

Dan

1 - 20 of 66 Posts