Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news:
My Super Sniper scope should be here tomorrow. Still deciding between the Remington 700 and the Savage FP10 in 308. :banana:

Bad news is:
I have to sell my XD9 subcompact to get my wife to go along on the deal. :aargh4: Think I have a buyer.

Good news:
I still have my XD45 tactical that I will never part with.

I just gotta find out how good it feels to shoot a gnat in the ass and poke his eyes out at 500 yards.

Picture of a gnat at 500 yards follows... :gah:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
My vote goes to the 700 , many more options on smiths , aftermarket parts , ect for that action

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
True Bob but the Savage is darned good value and the accutrigger these days is nice!

My Savage 99C in .243 is a lovely gun even with std trigger.

I'd not rule out a Ruger 77 either, tho maybe too light weight for some.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Well, what do you want to do? I've had a 700 PSS, with all the goodies, and it was just too much, for extended freestanding shooting or much carry. I traded off for a Steyr SBS Tactical. 18" tapered barrel, 10 rnd DBM, and shoots the equal of the PSS. Modern light rifles are pretty darn close to their HB brothers, IMHO. At least until you get up into Master Rifleman category!:king:

The Savage will be easier to build up, if you decide you need to. Brownells offers barrels from Shilen and Mcmillan (IIRC), and the triggers are incredibly easy to polish up. $200 more or less, of the Rem price is the HS Precision stock, which isn't everyone's ticket.

Basically, if you want a factory GTG package, the Rem has the edge. If you want some personal doodads, get the Savage.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you're planning on putting a grand or so building a custom gun the 700 is the way to go. If you're planning on getting a rifle with MOA accuracy out of the box go with the savage (or tikka or CZ). Incidentally, I have several guns that threaten bugs at 500 :) .

·
Banned
318 Posts
Huh? A grand?

With the exception of the trigger the Remington should be ready to go out of the box.

I would hope he's talking about one of the new 700 heavy barrel varmint models in .308 that can be had with a fluted barrel and a good synthetic stock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
BigEd63 said:
Huh? A grand?

With the exception of the trigger the Remington should be ready to go out of the box.

I would hope he's talking about one of the new 700 heavy barrel varmint models in .308 that can be had with a fluted barrel and a good synthetic stock.

The difference between the (factory) Rem and savage are 1) Savage has a better barrel and trigger can be safely adjusted below 3.5lbs. 2)Remington has superior finish/wood 3) Rem on average is gonna cost you about 100-200 bucks more for a comparable rifle 4) The 700 action is the most widely used platform for custom rifles so aftermarket parts are abundant

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK you guys got me sold. I'm either getting the Rem or the Savage. Guess I better get out there and start looking em over. Price matters, I need cheap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go with the 700 I have one in .308 with leupold mark 4 scope on it. I use it for long range competitions .But I also have a Savage 10 tactical also in .308 but I need a scope for it also .merlin45kout

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If cheap is what you want, get a Sako! (Pun definitely intended....)

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I worked with both of them and I prefer the Remington.
The saftey on the Remington is much better than the Savage which is jsut a cheap looking piece of stamped metal. The bolt on the Remington is better too.

If you arent planning on doing antyhing to the Savage, its OK.

If you are planning on blue printing the action, swapping barrels and trying to make it a tackdriver, get the Remington.

The Remington will usaully have better resale value than the Savage.

·
Banned
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like its going to be the Savage guys. The 700's I looked at run 100 to 200 bucks more with the bull barrel (checked out Gander Mountain today). I'll be posting pic's when I get her put together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts