Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to get my shotgun today, what should i get for shells? slugs? birdshot? an assortment? i live in a townhome, but the layout is such that while im in my bedroom looking down the hall and stairs i see the front door, and there is brickwall behind door, so if i were to aim from room, if it were to penetrate wall it would be the wall facing the parking lotwhich is bricked 4 feet from ground level.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
What if you happen to shoot in a different direction through a different wall? what if someone's walking by? how far and in what direction is your nearest neighbor?
For home defense buckshot is more than adequate.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
What kind of shotgun? What gauge?

·
Registered
829 Posts
#7 shot is pretty good at not pentrating sheetrock from what I have read. I keep my skeet loads at the ready but I have #4 and 00!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i only share 1 wall out of 4, and that wall is 2 neighbors' lofts. but the town-homes we live in all have a 4 inch gap between each units walls. from the outside it dont look like it cause the siding makes it look all connected. so i guess i want something that will stop the bad guy and not travel through my walls past gap in through their wall

BTW 12 gauge!

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I really like the pattern that #2 steel shot leaves at 15yds out of my 870......but 00 buck mainly for me. Slugs would reduce the chance of several stray projectiles. Pretty much why my pistols are the primary line of defense in the home situation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah id say no to slugs, although id like to get a box just to have, so some recommendations on that would be great too. i dont plan on chasing anyone down the street, but would like to shoot some slugs at the range.

i just have no idea what type of shells to get. some say bird shot due to more bb's. others say bird wont put anyone down if they have a coat on. then there is buckshot. #7 #4 00, im confused, but i do know that they can take what they want downstairs. i dont care, but be warned you step foot on my stairs to head up and endanger my wife of babies..............well i think we all know what happens next. a warning, then _________ you fill in the blank. but i just want to somewhat make sure if someone comes down my 4 foot wide hallway i can put them down in 1 shot or 2.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I keep 00 in my pistol grip 12 ga at all times.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
My HD shottie is only spitting 12ga 00 buck...:smilez:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I find both Fed. & Ranger low recoil 9 pellet 00 buck work well in my 18" 870. Standard vel is 1325 the low is 1145 from the Fed and 1200 from the Ranger. The Fed.patterns slightly better @ 7 yd.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
In an apartment /townhouse setting you are describing I would use #4 buck. It was our recommended carry load for areas where there was a high concentration of apartments. It's a good stopper, but not overly penetrative... Birdshot is for birds, not bad guys...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I find both Fed. & Ranger low recoil 9 pellet 00 buck work well in my 18" 870. Standard vel is 1325 the low is 1145 from the Fed and 1200 from the Ranger. The Fed.patterns slightly better @ 7 yd.
The 12ga Federal LE 00 low recoil (LE132-00) is what I use also. I wouldn't be opposed to the standard recoil (LE127-00), I just got a nice deal on the low and bought a bunch up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the dude at dicks (its the only place remotely near by that sells ammo) told me they recommend this for any home defense situation.

it was cheap so i got a box while picking up my shotgun. is it a keeper or a take back? if its a take back whats a good brand and size? 2 3/4? 3 inch? is 7 1/2 ok or do i go with 4 shot?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Those are "Game Loads" like the picture of the bird on the box... not a defensive load... it's good for birds, snakes and skeet, not bad guys... Get some sort of buckshot load... those aren't bad for practice or plinking, but not defense... I'd keep them, you'll use them for something...

Buck shot typically comes in 5 round boxes and will run around $5-8/box. Get some different sizes of buckshot (#4, #1, 0, 00) and see which patterns best in your shotgun. Stay with the 2 3/4" loads, there's really no need for 3" loads in defensive situations...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are "Game Loads" like the picture of the bird on the box... not a defensive load... it's good for birds, snakes and skeet, not bad guys... Get some sort of buckshot load... those aren't bad for practice or plinking, but not defense... I'd keep them, you'll use them for something...

Buck shot typically comes in 5 round boxes and will run around $5-8/box. Get some different sizes of buckshot (#4, #1, 0, 00) and see which patterns best in your shotgun. Stay with the 2 3/4" loads, there's really no need for 3" loads in defensive situations...
thanks!! i was thinking the same about the bird as he suggested this box, but i was like eh ill use these to fire the first shots LOL.

ill go out tomorrow and get some better shells!! i like the black shells some guys have, what are those? even the clear shells are sweet!!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Just about any brand of buckshot will do...Remington, Winchester Super-X, Federal... I think the dark shells are mil-spec loads... not sure about the clear shells... Check ammunitiontogo.com they have some pretty good deals on buckshot, even some LE, LE reduced recoil loads and mil-spec loads...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just about any brand of buckshot will do...Remington, Winchester Super-X, Federal... I think the dark shells are mil-spec loads... not sure about the clear shells... Check ammunitiontogo.com they have some pretty good deals on buckshot, even some LE, LE reduced recoil loads and mil-spec loads...
whats LE??

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
LE = Law Enforcement... Some loads are reduced recoil or could be a hotter than standard load... Also, buffered loads will typically pattern better... the pellets will not deform, so the pattern stays smaller... I just looked at ammunition to go and they had a good selection of loads in stock, check them out...

Many retailers won't stock LE loads... The manufacturers typically designate them for sale only to LE agencies...It's not against any law for you to buy or have them, they are just harder to get unless you order them from someplace like ammo to go...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts