Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep my home defense weapon and carry weapon of the same or similar manual of arms. Given that assumption I can't decide between two striker fired pistols vs two DA/SA pistols. Here is the choice:

VP9 - home gun
PPS M2 - carry gun
Or
Sig P226 legion - home gun
Sig P225-A1 - carry gun

Curious what others think. Anyone else pair up the VP9 with the PPS M2?

I can shoot all the pistols relatively well for defensive purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
The VP9 and PPS is an excellent combo, but if possible I would get the M1 version of the PPS because it has the paddle release like the VP9.....I have the same combo.....I also have the PPQ M1 as well....

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the Sigs, but probly a Sig P226 for home and a SP2022 for carry.

Why do you need a different gun for the house? Is your carry gun not home with you?

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Belt Handgun holster Bag Gun accessory Personal protective equipment G17 gen 4 carry all day every day
Tire Bumper Auto part (Hotel) or home G17 with extended magazine

Reactions: giz5792

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I'd go with the Sigs, but probly a Sig P226 for home and a SP2022 for carry.

Why do you need a different gun for the house? Is your carry gun not home with you?
I don't like to carry a full size gun which I prefer by the bedside.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Personally I'd go P99c for carry and PPQ M1 for home. Mag compatibility with the full size mags is key. Both have the same paddle mag release. If you'd rather have a single stack I'd go PPS M2 and PPQ M2 so you stick with the button mag release. I prefer paddles but the PPS M2 grip is much nicer than the M1 so I'd settle for the buttons. If your determined to stick with your listed options go PPS M2 and VP9. But FYI the trigger on the PPQ is generally accepted to be the BEST on any production polymer gun ever made. And been called a sniper's pistol cuz it's so damn accurate.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My carry guns become the bedside gun at night. I carry a FN Browning HP and a PreB CZ-75. All full size with CT grips.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
philly01 How about you buying what you like . I put no stock in a house gun only , all house members carry so all carry guns also are house guns . I have several sizes of handguns that point the same and feel close to the same and the one I carry is also my night stand gun ,, at least till I get to my ar15 . There are times I would carry ether a larger 4" double stack or a small single stack so both sized are fine . You only have to decide what brand you like best

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The only correct answer to your dilemma is that both guns have the same manual of arms. You probably train (like the rest of us) primarily with your carry gun to the point you can effectively deploy it "in your sleep." When you're startled awake at 3am, the last thing you need is to have to try & remember how to effectively deploy your HD gun (with a different manual of arms) while you're in fight or flight mode.

·
Registered
531 Posts
All great guns. But here's what I would do. Keep the PPS M2, great carry gun. Keep all the others or for me I sell the VP9 and get a 5" PPQ M2 to replace the HK so you have the same feel and manual of arms as the PPS M2 carry gun.

Then down the road a bit, if you decide you want something in between the PPS and 5" PPQ, get yourself a 4" PPQ M2 for your heavier carry days. Same feel in the hand and uses the same mags as the 5" PPQ.

But that's just me. I absolutely hate the trough under the trigger of HK guns, so unfortunately I can't do those.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I took the advice of a wise man, a cop with 35 years of experience, when looking for a carry/house gun. He said there are a ton of great guns out there, but you need to find a platform that you are comfortable with; striker fire, DAO or DA/SA. Find the gun you are comfortable with and use that gun and gun only. He told me when you train with one gun, it makes it easier to use because muscle memory takes over under stressful situations. His reasoning is the same as what DaGunny stated earlier, you don't want to have to try and figure out a different system under stressful situations.

I like the traditional DA/SA platform and chose Sig. And I was looking at getting the P226, but went with the P229 instead. For me, the 229 is easier to conceal and I didn't loose any capacity either.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The Sig's you mention would be a very solid choice IMO!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My Glock 41 is my home gun ...goes with me in my home ...my bedside pistol ..

I have a Glock 30S .. Buy Im carring my XDS45 today ...just so easy to tote !

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Tried out the Walther PPQ M2, Sig P320 and HK VP9 at a range demo. Ten rounds each firearm . I was most impressed by the Sig P320.. then Walther (The HK shot nice but nothing special)

Reactions: Denverjay

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tried out the Walther PPQ M2, Sig P320 and HK VP9 at a range demo. Ten rounds each firearm . I was most impressed by the Sig P320.. then Walther (The HK shot nice but nothing special)

What was it you liked about the 320?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Of the two choices you mentioned, I'd go with the Sigs. You might consider replacing the p225-A1 with either a p229 or M11-A1 - not a lot heavier/thicker than the 225, and more capacity. But you really can't go wrong with either option, or the 1911's that you're considering. Just pick the platform you like best, shoot best, and are most comfortable with and go from there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts