Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just recently bought a Smith & Wesson mp15. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good red dot sights, reflex sights, etc that could be used for home defense purposes that won't cost me an arm,a leg, and my man parts. Thank you guys

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I like Irons or an EO Tech for up close shots. 25 ft or choser.

Reactions: Sap03

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hey! I just a mp15 too! Today infact. I got a set of Troy's foldable sights on mine, when the wife lets me im going to get an aimpoint for it. I figure if im shooting someone in my house its going to be a point and pull affair so dont get too hung up the most tactical aspect.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Would have to go with an EoTech which in my opinion is one of the fastest Red Dot/Holo around. For close in work (i.e. your home) put the big red circle on what you want to hit and squeeze. The small dot in the middle is great for more precise and mid-range work.

I have an EXPS2-0, and if you watch for sales you can get them below $500. I got mine discounted a little over a year ago, $463 I believe shipped.

·
8,501 Posts
I prefer Aimpoint over Eotech. They are both good but Aimpoint is my preference. You should look at the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic). It is the bees knees and only $400. Depending on the model, Aimpoint has a battery life of three to five YEARS when left constantly on.

Reactions: sparkykb and JDE101

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
For home defense Iron . Here is a very good read on using the AR for HD. Well written by a person that knows what they are taking about.
I know you will get a 100 different objection to it. I bet my life on the Ar plat form up close . This is a very good read for you home defense.
If you really want a reflex site I vote Aim point worth the cost in the long run.
Zero Distance for a Home-Defense AR-15 | Shooting Illustrated

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If I was etching what I spent, I'd stick to irons and buy a high quality light like a Surefire Fury. If you do buy a quality red dot, I prefer Aimpoint, but the EoTech 553 is decent and the EXPS line with the integrated QD lever is the best of the EoTech line. For me, the t1 is my preferred optic.

Having said that, you can find a comp m2 like munch520's thread for under $300. That thread should be on the first page. The Vortex Sparc is a good cheaper alternative, but I'd rather stick to irons than skimp on optics.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I also am a real fan of Eotech. I have a 512 and bought it new on Amazon for $385.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Loved my Eotech but unless you live in a really really big house I would just stick to iron sights .. I would spend the money on a surefire light with the pressure pad. Reason being if your half awake and you have to turn on that eotech it might get tricky. With the pressure pad weapon lights all you have to do is press hard on the grip(front post) when you want to activate it.

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Most of the quality red dot or holographic sights will run upwards of $400. I scored a lightly used EOTech 512 for my first AR for well under that. I also have an Aimpoint Micro H1 on the other AR.

I like the EOTech for that 65 MOA ring and 1 MOA dot, but the need to use 2 hands to turn it on is a big drawback. Newer models moved the controls to the side of the optic where at least you don't have to take the gun off your shoulder to make adjustments. The 512 and similar models have had battery contact spring problems in hard use, so some models now have transversely-mounted batteries.

The Aimpoints have a record for impressive reliability in hard use, and the battery life is around 10,000 hours. There is no "off" switch - you just crank the intensity down when you put the gun away.

Either is a good choice.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
What about less expensive red dots? Is that a reasonable purchase or a waste of money?

Any suggestions on red dots in the $100 to $150 range.

For the record I use BUIS with a weapon light for my inside the house stuff.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought a M&P 15 in December! My first AR. So I'm a novice when it comes to the Ar platform and its accessories and my question is: What is the difference between a $500 Eotech and a $60 Truglo? (other than durability and battery life). I realize that there IS a big difference, I just don't know what it is... as they both produce a holographic red or green dot/reticle.

·
Administrator
144,361 Posts
Well, Home defense can be either of two things. Defending the home from a threat inside the home and defending the home from a threat outside the home as in a possible future SHTF scenario.

For the latter I would probably choose the AIMPOINT PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) as being a great value.

While the AimPoint optics are not cheap - they DO really hold their value decently in good used condition since it's a known fact that they are pretty much indestructible.

So...in the long run it's wise to spend a bit more for the AimPoint.

·
Administrator
144,361 Posts
as they both produce a holographic red or green dot/reticle.

Actually that is not true. The EOTech is a Holographic weapon sight and the TruGlo is just an illuminated reticule.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Loved my Eotech but unless you live in a really really big house I would just stick to iron sights .. I would spend the money on a surefire light with the pressure pad. Reason being if your half awake and you have to turn on that eotech it might get tricky. With the pressure pad weapon lights all you have to do is press hard on the grip(front post) when you want to activate it.
One of the reasons I prefer Aimpoint is that mine are always on.

Having said that, distance would have nothing to do with my choice of optic or irons. While a red dot will typically be smaller than a front sight post by half to 1/8 (1, 2 or 4 MOA vs 8 MOA), the main reason is speed. Wherever the dot is in the window is where the bullet will impact, so I do not need as good of a cheek weld as I do with irons. Also, when moving through a structure in low light and encountering a target with a black shirt, for example, even with a good light the front sight can get lost.

Another huge benefit is focus. With irons, the shooters focus needs to be on the front sight post. During a lethal force encounter, that is very unlikely. While it's true the chances are we'll still get ur hits with irons and a hard focus on the target, a red dot allows us to have a crisp aiming point while maintaining a hard focus on our target.

No matter how good we are with irons, we will be better with an optic. If that difference matters or not is up to the shooter, but the fact is almost all of us will be better at close quarters shooting with an optic (with practice of course).

Now, if money was very tight and I had to choose between irons with a flashlight or red dot optic and no light, I'd go with irons and a light.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What is the difference between a holographic reticle and an illuminated one? I'm not trying to be difficult... I'm just a noob:smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know you can find cheaper optics..... But that is something that you will be using as your primary sighting tool, on your home defense gun! Iron sights become back up. Sure on an m&p 15-22 use a cheap optic. However having used aimpoits in the military. You want something that will last. For my AR I will be getting an EOTEC. Maybe on the second ill go with an aim point. the wife looked at an EOTEC and fel in love. That's another consideration ease of use for someone not as familiar with the weapon. With the quality dot sights where the dot is the bullet will impact. As long as you can see it that's what will be hit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The hits on target are STAGGERINGLY better with a quality optic. In m4 qual even someone who is not good at shooting will score WAY better with the optic over an iron sight. My sone could not believe the difference in my targets (made me a believer too)

1 - 20 of 167 Posts