Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using combination slug & shot in their Mossberg 500? I mean the shells that have both a ball and shot. If so what brand and have you tried the out at the range?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have some Winchester PDX but haven't tried it yet.

00 Buck all the way for my Mossy 500.

And before the "load wars" begin, remember that everyone's situation is different.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Get your flame retardant suit on, quick!
Well the first two are to blast off warning shots from the porch and the last one is to slow 'em down some. That way you won't miss with the buck shot and risk having an errant projectile hit an unintended target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
My first 3 shells are bird shot followed by 5 00 buck.
Sir no disrespect intended but as some one who has seen numerous prison inmates shot with bird shot please be aware racking the slide did not deter them, blank rounds did not deter them and often multiple rounds of bird shot did not deter them. Take this for what it is worth and please you and your family be safe.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nobody is getting a warning shot from me. Not only is that illegal where I live but if it is time to fire they are the target and with 00 buck.

~~ Bob

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
To the OP Buck N Ball loads used to be common. And with so many .410 defence loads comming out Ive seen more lately. As to will it work for you in your gun, you will just have to try them out. Buy a couple of boxes and set up some large cardboard targets. Try them at distances you would expect to shoot. I live in the country, so my typical distances are probably longer than a city guy. I want to hit with athourty at 30 to 40 yds. [accross my yard ]. My best patterns at 35yds were from #4 buck using a Mod choke. Second best were from the same load and a full choke. The full choke had quite a few flyers but still centered most of the load. But Buck N Ball up close would likely get the job done. DR

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hexolit 32

Here's what I keep loaded by my bed side. Watch the video. This stuff will stop anything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 590A1 and I would never shoot warning shots. I keep my shotgun loaded with 7 LE 132 9 pellet 00 buckshot rounds and if I shoot I shoot to kill. I do have a light so I can ID the potential BG first. I use the momentary on switch so to hopefully avoid making myself a target at night.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Mine is loaded with slugs. If I am in my home with my shotgun in hand, I am barricaded in my room with the family behind me.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I have a little bit of remington and federal buckshot,so far as HD.My Dad gave me a box of the 12 ga. winchester pdx1,but,haven't shot any of it yet.I don't shoot the 12 ga,a whole lot.

·
Registered
603 Posts
00 Buck for me but I do like the look of that hexelit slug. That clay vid looks like some serious energy transfer.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I'd be curious as to the velocity of the slug in those combination shells.

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
We live in an older subdivision where the houses are on 50' x 100' lots so over-penetrating or missed shots hitting my neighbors is a concern. Our Mossberg 500 18.5" is loaded with four #4 Buckshot and a 00 Buck as the last round. The sidesaddle has more 00 Buck, but also one "Buck & Ball" and one rubber buckshot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have bird in mine, I do live in an apartment and worry of over penetration (also buckshot is still uncommon in stores locally), however if I get to the point of grabbing my Mossberg it means i need serious help as i keep my 1911 on me always.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I have 6 ready rounds mounted on the receiver of my 500. 2 Slug, 2 00 Buck, 2 #4 Buck.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts