Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a HD shotgun. I need something my small 5'1" recoil sensitive wife can handle. My M&p sport II AR is to heavy for her to hold up for any length of time. I've been thinking about a 20 gauge but they don't seem to hold many shells. I'm also thinking about a 12 gauge and using mini shells for less recoil and added capacity but I'm concerned about the weight. I'd like to keep it inexpensive at $200-$300, I'm not against buying used. I'd like something that I can put a recoil pad and shell carrier on. Suggestions? I know almost nothing about shotguns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used Mossberg 500 for this purpose. My wife digs taking it and shots it well with low recoil shells, a Hogue padded stock, and a TLR laser light combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
A Mossberg 500 in .410 using the 5 pellet 000 3" shells is quite a low-recoil threat stopper.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
One of my personal favorites, here .... a Henry

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
Youth or the like shotguns will seem to be lighter but not a good idea too much kick

A good used 870 ( older is better ) or a 500 or 590 is a good choice ..20 gauge 870 I know have +1 and +2 tube mods and there is butstock sleves for more shells as well

20gauge HD and buck ammo can be hard to find for good SD though ..

They do make low recoil 12 gauge for HD

I would have her fire some shotguns to make sure she can handle it ..Some people just dont like them

Semi auto would normal be less kick but at 200-300 it will be hard to get a decent one ..Some of the turkish imports might be a options but being your first eh...

I would not do 410 peoird ..Yes she will be able to handle it but 410 is pretty eh on stopping ..If it is all she can handle fine it will be better then nothing but I would like at least a 20 gauge for HD

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If she doesnt like holding up an AR, a shotgun is going to be even worse. Even a .410, Ive taken females to the range who are that height, and their arms arent long enough to properly reach and work the pump.

Id suggest an AR pistol or some sort of pistol caliber carbine, but you arent getting one for that price. If an AR is too heavy and long, maybe a 22lr rifle? Personally Id take a 10/22 with a 25rd mag over a 410 shotgun or 12ga trying to load a mini-shell that it isnt designed to function with, and a manual action that can be tough to run.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I am not sure why people think the 12 ga "Tactical" low-recoil load featuring 8 OO buckshot pellets at 1100-something fps is the bees knees for defensive shotgun performance, but a .410 with 5 OOO buckshot pellets at 1100-something fps is somehow vastly inferior.

I do agree, however, that another choice, such as the 10/22, is appropriate if the user can't effectively operate a pump.

My wife is familiar with Colt DA revolvers and break-open single shot shotguns.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
We had a friend who had an old pump action shotgun and I thought it was super neat and wanted one. Gramps tried to get the same thing, but he told me that Mossberg wasn't making that old model anymore so he had to order a pump.

I was thrilled with that surprise box when he brought it home. I was a lot less thrilled when we took the gun to the range a very few times. Even the lightest weight shottie is too heavy for me, and I really and truly cannot focus on the front sight when it is that far away from my face, and even with using a sissy pad there was still too much recoil for my comfort. OH, I shot it, and I didn't do too horribly bad with it. But I did not like it at all. I wanted to like it since it was a surprise gift (that I asked for). Remember, Gramps honestly thought he bought me what I said I wanted so he did the best he could.
@Novarider If your wife really and truly wants a shotgun and is determined to learn to use one, it will be worth the time and effort to find one that will fit her, that she can shoot accurately. If not, a shotgun is not the be-all and end-all of home defense even though some devotees declare it to be.

A year or so later I told Gramps to go ahead and trade that .410 of mine in for whatever gun he was wanting at the time.

And I'll add that last year my middle aged son finally realized he needs a gun (guns) for defense purposes, so he went to a store/range that rents most of what an average person would be interested in. It did not take him 3 rounds to totally reject a shotgun. Like his Mama, he did really well with the handguns and wound up buying 3 of them. I'm guessing he may buy "one or two" more in the future............:35:

I am sticking with my handguns for defense at home and/or away. I shoot them very well.

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
Yep to above ..Shotguns are not for everone ...I dont like shooting them all that much even high end auto loaders still buck

I would vote have her try some and if no go ... Then a PCC or a 10/22 or like ...Or maybe a ultra light AR15 build ala the SP1 or CAR15 style which can be lighter then current guns ....

Def would second the no mini shell thing. Just one more thing to train for /go wrong lol ...

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
If you could find one in a gun shop for her to handle, the Remington 870 Express comes in a 20-ga model (Junior Compact) with 18-1/2" barrel and a synthetic stock, weighing a trim 5-3/4 pounds. That's about carbine length, and with the short barrel it won't be unwieldy to swing. MSRP is $439, actual price at the counter should be less.

Given your wife's compact size, my best recommendation would be a 9mm carbine with an adjustable stock. Low recoil, high capacity, and 9mm does planty of damage. The Ruger PC is what I'm thinking of, but I think it's too damned heavy - over 7 pounds. A bit more affordable and lighter at about 6 pounds, but still outside your stated price range is the CZ Scorpion carbine. Most affordable is a Kel-Tec Sub2000. Ugly as sin and has a trigger in the 10-pound range, but it is compact!

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
If you could find one in a gun shop for her to handle, the Remington 870 Express comes in a 20-ga model (Junior Compact) with 18-1/2" barrel and a synthetic stock, weighing a trim 5-3/4 pounds. That's about carbine length, and with the short barrel it won't be unwieldy to swing. MSRP is $439, actual price at the counter should be less.

Given your wife's compact size, my best recommendation would be a 9mm carbine with an adjustable stock. Low recoil, high capacity, and 9mm does planty of damage. The Ruger PC is what I'm thinking of, but I think it's too damned heavy - over 7 pounds. A bit more affordable and lighter at about 6 pounds, but still outside your stated price range is the CZ Scorpion carbine. Most affordable is a Kel-Tec Sub2000. Ugly as sin and has a trigger in the 10-pound range, but it is compact!
The the CZ rifle is about 7lb ..The sub 2000 is only 5 or so unloaded ..So that might be a option .... 9mm 31 round mags ..Would def second this

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you'd like an inexpensive shotgun, look at the 18.5" Maverick 88 from Mossberg. You can find one new for $200. It is a 12-gauge and is compatible with the OpSol adapter for use with minishells. It has a 6-round tube capacity using full-sized (2 3/4") shells, and will probably hold 9 minishells in the tube. It is about 6 pounds empty. As others have stated shotguns are not the only option for home defense but I am partial to them and my wife is more comfortable with my Mossberg that with any of my pistols or rifles. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
It sounds like a PCC would be a more viable and effective option for your wife who is recoil sensitive. Good luck!

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
There is one reason I run a HD shotgun and also use it for Grizzly defense when camping. I have been hunting behind a pump shotgun, specifically an 870, for over 40 years so everything about it from the safety location to running a pump very fast is automatic for me.

I started out with an old Stevens 12 gauge pump with a steel buttplate so I learned to tolerate a lot of recoil early. I like the safety location on the Mossberg's better but, I am not willing to re-train on something different now.
Something I should consider with a defensive handgun as well. Hmmm.

Anyway, I agree that a shotgun is not for everyone, especially with no shotgun experience to begin with. I happen to think its the best overall civilian long gun on the planet but, that is me.
I hope you find what works for her.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
The Maverick 88 by Mossberg with the 7 round tube looks appealing for around $225. Pandemic prices may be higher:ticking:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with the Maverick 88 maybe in 20 ga.I have one in 12 ga.that I bought two years ago new for $189.00 and it shoots good and uses a lot of the Mossberg 500 parts and barrels.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts