Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Face it, we all have visions of how a real home defense situation is likely to happen in our own homes. There are only three types of defense locations: home, transit, and other locations. We expect to sleep peaceably in our homes at night, safe and secure with our families. Hopefully, we have a strategy based on our particular environment and needs. The following are some points not often considered during home defense strategies.

During a recent class of about 10 people, I asked how many people had a pair of shoes next to their bed. Only one out of the ten did. So, in the middle of the night you hear a crash downstairs, you hop out of bed and grab a pistol or long gun and decide to investigate. Imagine if you -

Get to the top of the steps and step on a Lego or dog toy causing you to fall down the steps with a loaded firearm in your hand. This is especially an issue with a long gun, or if you have a light in one hand and a gun in the other.

After making it down the steps, you detect movement and step forward. The crash you heard was a glass that the intruder had knocked off your kitchen counter after jimmying the door. The small shards of the drinking glass cut into the bottom of your bare foot.

Do you sleep without a shirt on? Do you put one on when you get up? Do you prefer a long gun for home defense? Have you ever fired that gun bare chested? Do you think it will effect your response?

More about your strategy, a little about the use of tell tales. Tell tales are very useful in many situations. I break them into three categories: security seals, placement, and lighting. They are a great tool for a layered defense.

Security seals- usually done with sewing thread or scotch tapes depending on the situation. These are most often used when out of your home but can be used when leaving your home for a period of time. Say you are leaving on vacation for a week and do not expect anyone coming to your home. Some gray or tan thread can be used to string across the entrance to your back yard, about waist high so as not to be disturbed by animals. You can also take a few pieces of tape and put them in the lower corners of all exterior doors. Now if you come home and the string across the entrance to the back yard is broken it should make you suspicious, then you walk around to the back door and find that the tape you put in place is ripped. Act accordingly. The tape also works well with your vehicle when leaving it say in an airport parking lot. Doing the hood, trunk, and doors only takes a minute but can give you a huge piece of mind when you return.

Placement- when I go to bed at night I button up by closing all doors, pushing all chairs in, locking all doors and windows. Now if I come downstairs and anything is out of place it draws my attention. You can do this with any items, even say on a desk.

Lighting- my strategy is to work from the darkness whenever possible. In my own home, I am better at negotiating my house in the dark than an intruder is. When I go to bed, the only lights left on are exterior lights. The house is completely dark. When leaving your house, it is your choice to leave a light on or not. Leaving a light on allows you to see silhouettes inside the house.

There is more to home defense strategy than tools and tactics. Consider all things.- George

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Good points to ponder...:yup:

Glad you're online...I've tried to contact you, but your mailbox is full.
No room to PM.

ret

·
Registered
862 Posts
great posts these are definitely some things i know that i've looked over and things to keep in mind. thanks for the post.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Good post!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Good post. Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to go somewhere for a while, I would use a small dot of torque seal paste on the lower hinge of my bedroom door so I'd know if my sister went in. Never thought about doing that at home now though. I do always have a pair of combat boots next to the bed. I doubt I would take the time to throw on jeans and a shirt though, even if I did have them at the ready.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Great info, I will start doing some of these ideas, and work toward all of them. Thank You

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Great point about having shoes quickly and easily available. Hadn't thought about that one. In "The Gravest Extreme" there is a brief comment about 'putting your pants on' before meeting the threat. With a moment's reflection it is clear that shoes are equally essential if not more important. Hadn't thought about the "broken glass" defense a BG might use.

·
Registered
342 Posts
never thought about that stuff, I will now!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Instead of tape, (hard to remove when you return) try using your spit to glue a hair across the jam of the door. A hair is much harder to see but you know where to look.

Your hair style is too short, try a piece of thread colored to the door color, or, a hair from the wife.

This can be done to all drawers if you like and shouldn't affect the wood finish. Works well on windows too if you have children that are sneaking out at night.

With unlocked gates, lean or lay an old (smaller the better) stick from a branch across the bottom of the gate well enough that the gate has to be opened to distrube it. NOT foolproof but an indicator.

A locally grown nut (acorns are common) under the front and rear surface of a tire will indicate the movement of a auto in your absence.

Another good chance of catching someones movement around you property is to place decoys. A bell hanging on the gate draws their attention away from the stick. A post-it note on the door or some object placed on a sill of a window... you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I have a question, why are you trying to clear your own house?

I would not advise somebody to attempt to "clear" or go searching through their own home in the middle of the night looking for danger, unless there was an immediate threat to an unarmed family member.

I have a gun pointed at the door.
I would have my wife call 911 requesting assistance.

After the dispacther said help is on the way I would have her leave the line open (911 is recording everything) and have her point her gun at the door. If needed (in my case is not because its just us) I would go secure any other family memers. At that point I would announce "Police are on their way, I have a gun and will defend myself" Again this will be recorded by 911.

I have a a big piece of wood with the words POLICE HOUSE KEYS
hooked to a glow stick. My bedroom window faces the front yard so I can toss those out the window so I don't have to replace my door when the police show up, and they can get in faster.

If I have a chance to get to it, I have an emegency kit with, some stuff in it in a bucket.
Electronic ear protection (I can hear a mouse in the backyard with these puppies + I will not loose my hearing if I have to shoot)
Spare ammo and magazines
a set of clean undies for him and her, and some pj's.
a spare surefire and batteries
and a fire excape letter next to that.

I've now created a bottle neck gaining a huge tactical advantage.
While 911 is recording everything NOW we play the waiting game, and I leave all the house clearing to the cops.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
OP is great i've actual practice coming down the stairs and such in the dark HG drawn, maglite at the ready...(my shotgun is to big for HD with a 28inch barrel)... two questions for you... when i put my shoes on i make more noise than just bare foot is this compromising my position? and should i come down with the maglite on or just at the ready?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey y'all: Ever since I obtained a firearm 2 years or so ago (I now have three "offensive" firearms- a 38, a 380 and a 12g; and two target 22s) I have rethought my theory on home defense and have come up with the following scenario that I follow each night (I should note that I am 68 and only my wife and I live in it---there are no children and no one at any other end or floor of the house).
1. I lock our bedroom door and place a door stop under the door making it difficult to open if the lock is defeated
2. I keep a cell phone and my car keys by my bed; the cell phone is for 911/LEO, and the keys are for the alarm on the car. I keep an LED flashlight by my bed with intentions of aiming it at chest height at my bedroom door, if necessary
3. I consider everything in the other rooms of my house to be "stuff" that is covered by insurance and is not worth my potential death to defend.
4. If I hear "funny noises" I will take the 10 steps to my closet where the shotgun is and retrieve it. Should that bedroom door be defeated I will be standing at an angle to the door behind a chest of drawers wth my 12g (00) aimed at the door. I will be scared to the point of wetting myself but will be adamant about my defense of my life and that of my wife. The perp will enter from the dark and be staring at a very bright light--he will also be very visible to me as he opens the door. Should, for some reason entry is quicker thru a wndowed door or window in my bedroom, my 38 is behind my headboard with the best money can buy.
Any comments would be welcome. Always anxious to learn and hear different points of view that may assist me in refining my scenario for home defense.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Face it, we all have visions of how a real home defense situation is likely to happen in our own homes. There are only three types of defense locations: home, transit, and other locations. We expect to sleep peaceably in our homes at night, safe and secure with our families. Hopefully, we have a strategy based on our particular environment and needs. The following are some points not often considered during home defense strategies.

During a recent class of about 10 people, I asked how many people had a pair of shoes next to their bed. Only one out of the ten did. So, in the middle of the night you hear a crash downstairs, you hop out of bed and grab a pistol or long gun and decide to investigate. Imagine if you -

Get to the top of the steps and step on a Lego or dog toy causing you to fall down the steps with a loaded firearm in your hand. This is especially an issue with a long gun, or if you have a light in one hand and a gun in the other.

After making it down the steps, you detect movement and step forward. The crash you heard was a glass that the intruder had knocked off your kitchen counter after jimmying the door. The small shards of the drinking glass cut into the bottom of your bare foot.

Do you sleep without a shirt on? Do you put one on when you get up? Do you prefer a long gun for home defense? Have you ever fired that gun bare chested? Do you think it will effect your response?

More about your strategy, a little about the use of tell tales. Tell tales are very useful in many situations. I break them into three categories: security seals, placement, and lighting. They are a great tool for a layered defense.

Security seals- usually done with sewing thread or scotch tapes depending on the situation. These are most often used when out of your home but can be used when leaving your home for a period of time. Say you are leaving on vacation for a week and do not expect anyone coming to your home. Some gray or tan thread can be used to string across the entrance to your back yard, about waist high so as not to be disturbed by animals. You can also take a few pieces of tape and put them in the lower corners of all exterior doors. Now if you come home and the string across the entrance to the back yard is broken it should make you suspicious, then you walk around to the back door and find that the tape you put in place is ripped. Act accordingly. The tape also works well with your vehicle when leaving it say in an airport parking lot. Doing the hood, trunk, and doors only takes a minute but can give you a huge piece of mind when you return.

Placement- when I go to bed at night I button up by closing all doors, pushing all chairs in, locking all doors and windows. Now if I come downstairs and anything is out of place it draws my attention. You can do this with any items, even say on a desk.

Lighting- my strategy is to work from the darkness whenever possible. In my own home, I am better at negotiating my house in the dark than an intruder is. When I go to bed, the only lights left on are exterior lights. The house is completely dark. When leaving your house, it is your choice to leave a light on or not. Leaving a light on allows you to see silhouettes inside the house.

There is more to home defense strategy than tools and tactics. Consider all things.- George
Sorry man,
I have trained for self defense all my life. According to statistics I live in one of the unsafest cities in the USA.

I am just not very paranoid about it.

I keep loaded pistols around the house and would not hesitate to shoot or use a butcher knife from the kitchen, bat, stick or my own hands if an intruder entered the house and threatend me.
It has not happened to me domestically and probably never will.

I don't mean to be going off on your or any other forum member here. Shooting some one is a last resort. It is ugly. It is war. Be prepared yes, and hope you never have to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a question, why are you trying to clear your own house?

I would not advise somebody to attempt to "clear" or go searching through their own home in the middle of the night looking for danger, unless there was an immediate threat to an unarmed family member.
Agreed. I do not have the training to do a proper house clearing. My plan is to defend the bedrooms while awaiting the police. DIY home clearing sounds like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey 1911 Packer: As I stated in previous post, you are absolutely correct about an attempt to "clear the house" unless, of course, other family and children are located in other parts of the house and you fear for their safety and lives. If that is not the case, there is nothing that warrants your life over "stuff". "Stuff" is replaceable and "stuff" is insurable and YOU ARE NOT. You let the LEOs "clear the house" after the fact.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts