Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is LEGAL and/or is there some kits out there to make your own guns.
LIKE .........you buy all the metal, plastic, springy parts, and just assemble them your self, save your self a few hundred dollars that way?

I love guns and want more, but just don't have the funds for all the guns I want, so I was wondering if it is legal or if there is anything out there to do so.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
sure you can do a 1911 at home order the frame which is considered the gun since it has serial # then order what ever else you wanna add to it special and order rest of stuff to make it run

Same with a Ar-15 order the receiver which has your serial# and build rest from there

You have to order the serial #ed parts from a FFL though

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If tho - IIRC - you manufacture a frame to make a complete gun - you can only take it to 80% of completion. Thinking handguns here right now.

Someone may be able to explain this in more detail.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Chris you can make 80% frames for sale without a manufactorers licence , and with no ffl transfer for sale . Any thing over 80% becomes a gun and must have ffl to transfer . Anyone can make a firearm for personal use leagaly starting from a blank or up to an 80% frame . The rub comes inn if you complete any build for sale be it kit or built from the ground up .

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi has a pretty good legal section ( as well as a lot of good info on building ) from guys that are actualy building firearms for personal use .. hope that helps

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
RR - great - thx for the fill in info and link.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
no problem fitznig and good luck if you decide to go ahead with a build

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
You CANNOT ever sell it unless you have it properly stamped/serial numbered & entered into the NIC System & registered to you.
You only have to stamp your name and whatever number you put on it for resale. There are no registration requirements, unless required to do so in your state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts