Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night I had my first encounter where I truly felt in danger for my life. I am alone at 4:30am sleeping and get awoken to someone opening my bathroom door (which is connected to my bedroom). This BG whom I cannot positively ID as it is very dark and my eyes are not adjusted begins peeking in my bedroom. I immediately awaken but do not move an inch. I stare, heart pounding and adrenaline rushing, watch the BG scope my room but not enter it. I further wait (20-30 seconds) to see the BG leave my bathroom and venture somewhere else in the house. Now I know he saw me in bed, but I am confident he didn't see me awaken.

At this moment, I am in total shock, trying to gather myself. I wait 2-3 minutes and just listen to hear what this guy is doing in my house. I hear absolutely nothing (loud fan and A/C). I slowly reach for my phone and dial 911 under my sheet, not wanting to have the noise and light alert the BG that I am awake. I am too scared to speak out loud to the 911 operator and just hope that they can locate where my call is coming from without giving them an address right away.

I muster enough composure to get up and reach for my M&P 9mm. Unfortunetly, this requires me to get out of bed and reach for it in my closet (only really 1 step away).

I crawl back in bed and wait another 2-3 minutes, gun in hand. I crawl under the covers to repeat to 911, who is still on the line: "Home Address - someone's in my house" 2-3 times.

At this moment, I do not speak any more and just wait, pistol pointed at my bathroom door. A couple more minutes pass and I hear the police arrive. Finally feeling safe, I speak to the 911 operator who says the perimeter is clear and to come to the front door. I hide my gun and run to the front door, police search the house and it appears the BG left with no damage done.

Being fairly new to hand guns and new to concealed carry (just got my CWP 2 weeks again), what advice can some of you veterens give in this scenario, specifically with how I handled the situation?

What did I do wrong? What do I need to change from now on?

FYI I am located in FL. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Why in the world is your gun not within arms reach???

My H&K USP45 lives on the nightstand. I advise the same!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
wow, that's freaky.

I saw a news thing yesterday that some 911 systems have moved to accept txt messages. So you "may" have been able to txt them your address and emergency without speaking. Otherwise, it sounds like you handled yourself well.

I keep my handgun on the nightstand but we don't have kids yet. The wife's side of the bed has a locking safe with a .357 in it but the keypad makes noise. I've heard people say that's a problem and based on your story, I'll probably have to do something about that.

Proof positive to keep a phone in the bedroom, I'm not very good about that myself.

Glad you're ok. I'm guessing that since there was nothing missing or any damage, they didn't bother trying to fingerprint? Did you figure out how he/she entered the house?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Why in the world is your gun not within arms reach???

My H&K USP45 lives on the nightstand. I advise the same!
Absolutely! If one has kids in the house, then one suggestion is having the gun in a small gun safe on your night table within easy reach with the front of the safe open.

In the morning, if worried about kids, first thing is close the safe and put it back where you normally keep it.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Once my gun was in hand, I would have announced that the police had been called and that they were already in the neighborhood...they would be there in about 30 seconds, so get out NOW.

This is very concerning...how did the BG get in? Broken window/door, or was a door left unlocked?

My Kimber is within reach without me having to 'stretch' to get it. My SureFire L4 LumaMax is right next to it. At the first sound, my gun would be 'in hand' and the SureFire in the other. Usually it is just my wife and I...if she is next to me, then anyone turning the doorknob is going to get ventilated.
At the present time, my 31 year old son is staying with us. Although I know that he would NOT open our bedroom door without announcing his intentions (he knows me and what I'm capable of...:yup:), I would still need better knowledge of 'said' target before engaging.

For you...
I would not be in bed waiting for a return visit knowing that the BG was already in the house. Your gun should be closer to you and invest in a good flashlight. I should have attempted to find a blind spot in the room, i.e. a closet, behind a dresser, etc. I may have even put some pillows in my bed to look like I was still there. My firearm would be focused on the doorway, and I would not have gotten off of the phone with 911.
I would be worried about a return visit.

I live in FL, too...which city?

ret :31:

·
Registered
276 Posts
My vote is for the "nightstand" thing. If you can't get to it you might as well not have it. If you have kids theres a whole ton of things out there to aid in semi immediate access for you and denied access for them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
anyone turning the doorknob is going to get ventilated.
you really gotta way with words ret :hand5:

i would suggest, definitely, have the hundgun/weapon of choice, located closer to your bed, i.e. nightstand, so as to access it at a moments notice. you did well staying on the phone with 911 and not being boisterous.

sketchy situation...i guess we can "coulda woulda shoulda" all day long, but it is what it is, glad you're well.

i know if this were my situation, someone would have gotten aired out from the back-to-mattress position

be prepared for "next time." :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
At this moment, I do not speak any more and just wait, pistol pointed at my bathroom door. A couple more minutes pass and I hear the police arrive. Finally feeling safe, I speak to the 911 operator who says the perimeter is clear and to come to the front door. I hide my gun and run to the front door, police search the house and it appears the BG left with no damage done.
What did I do wrong? What do I need to change from now on?
Well, sounds like you did ok with the exception of having to get out of bed. The only thing I would caution against is the above paragraph. Just because you hear the police show up and the 911 operator says it's safe...DOES NOT MEAN IT'S SAFE!

The Police were OUTSIDE and you yourself said the BG was inside. So rushing to the front door to let the police in was indeed quite foolish. How did you know the BG had left before you went rushign through the house?

Just food for thought...:theyareontome:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I agree about the gun in arm's reach. That will be my first fix when I return home today. I really felt helpless having my gun not within reach and just glad that nothing worse happend. I guess I always thought I would have time to get up and get my gun when I heard someone breaking in. Lesson learned.

Appears the BG entered through the front door. My room is located in the back of the house so I did not hear the front door being opened. I rent the house so who knows if he was a past tenant with a set of keys or what. Needless to say, a new lock and key has been installed.

Ret, I also live in CFL, specifically Orlando.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
IMO, your weapon should always be within reach without you needing to get outa the bed! I would not have positioned myself back in the bed once I had gotten out of it though. I would have positioned myself in a corner of the room outa direct sight of the doorway and waited for the Police to arrive. If the intruder crossed my path and became alerted to my presence. Well, depending on his response to my commands, he would be the cause of the rest of the situation.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I don't keep my gun at arms length because I fear what could happen during a nightmare. I want to be able to stand up to get the gun.

Having done so, back in bed is not what I would have done.

Without knowing the layout of your bedroom, bathroom, hallway, it is hard to say where you might have positioned yourself. At that point, anything that would give you cover and a clear shot if needed.

Agree with those who think going to the door was not a good idea. That dispatcher maybe needs to be retrained. She might have asked if you thought it was safe to go to the front door. Then, if you said no, or he's still here, I guess you'd have a broken door to contend with today. Better than a broken head.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
no kidding Hopy, what did the invader lock the door behind him. Why didn't the cops let themselves in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no kidding Hopy, what did the invader lock the door behind him. Why didn't the cops let themselves in?
In fact, yes I believe so. I didn't want to get too verbose in my first post but with no other sign of forced entry around the house I believe the BG was possibly a past tenant with a set of keys. I live in a college town and this house has been rented to college students for the past few years. This also makes me believe the BG left once he noticed someone was home (me) and locked the door behind him in order to pretend no one was there. Crazy theory?

No, I don't believe locks were changed when we moved in and past tenants moved out. Yes, they are now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were very luck that nothing more serious happened. Thankfully you had a phone and a gun in your room. I am sure that others will post that you should have started shooting as soon as you thought someone was in your house, but clearly you handled the situation all right as no one was hurt. I know I would not start shooting in my house until I knew what was happening and the threat/ target was clear.

When my then fiancée, now my wife, was living in an apartment with herself and an 80 pound Doberman mix someone came into her apartment while she was asleep. For about a month prior to this happening she felt like someone was coming into her apartment when she was gone. Nothing would be missing but she felt like things were different then when she left. Then she started noticing food missing. One time fruit was missing off the counter other times items would be missing from the refrigerator or pantry. This was starting to make her crazy because she could never be sure what if anything was happening. The final straw was one night when she had laid out her clothes for the next day on the kitchen table before going to bed. In the morning the clothes were gone and the front door was closed but unlocked. I went to stay with her until she could move out of the apartment a week or so later. From then on we have both kept a gun within a quick reach on each side of the bed. Our dog has proven to be worthless despite her scary appearance and size.

·
Registered
102 Posts
:popout: Holy Crap! I think I would have :popout2: and then :uzi:. After that I would have called these guys ~>:busted_cop:. Unfortunately, per NC laws, once the BG is INSIDE your house, you can't shoot the BG unless you believe him to be armed. Although I can legally shoot him AS he is coming into the house. Go figure. I am really glad you are ok though. No one REALLY knows what they will do until it happens to them! You made it out unscathed from one of my biggest fears. We are actually having a security system installed next month that covers ALL entry points into our home BECAUSE I am terrified I will awaken one night to some BG standing over me.

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
As I've read through this thread I had a few observations.

First, I don't agree with having a gun readily available while you are sleeping. I like them in a locked safe on the nightstand or between the box spring and the mattress in a holster. The reason for that is, I want a chance to clear the cobwebs from my sleepy brain before I use that gun, and the act of retreieving it allows that to happen to a degree.

There have been cases of people grabbing their gun, kept on the nightstand beside the bed without a holster, and thinking it was a telephone while dreaming or still sleepy, and had a very loud and rude awakening, if they awoke at all. Guns have also been confused with asthma inhalers in a sleepy state.

As far as going to the door. You may have been better off to stay barricaded behind at least partial cover and let the responding constabulary clear the house. Put a Cylume lightstick on a spare set of housekeys. Then you can throw them out the window and the police can open the door themselves while you stay in the bedroom. With that keyring it's also a good idea to have a simple floorplan of the house. You can tell the dispatcher where you're located in the house. That should be the last room the police come to and your gun can be secured before they get there, and out of sight.

Ok, that's my thought. I'm off to work. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep my handgun on the nightstand but we don't have kids yet. The wife's side of the bed has a locking safe with a .357 in it but the keypad makes noise. I've heard people say that's a problem and based on your story, I'll probably have to do something about that.
Don't know what safe you have but on my "GunVault 1000" I can make it silent.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Nice advice Biker.

expanding on an earlier statement - my Glock is on my nightstand, within reach, but it's ALWAYS in a holster whether it's on my body or off.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I would start with securing your house. I know you said you rent, but, there are a lot of options out there for you. Check the internet for motion detectors and individual door/window sensors. I know Radio Shack sells stuff like this.
I bought a kit off the internet that had x amount of door and window sensors. I think it was about $100.00 bucks.
Good luck

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Perhaps I missed it in my readings.....When 911 was called, did you notify them that you were armed? You mentioned/stated you "hid" your gun before running to the front door to greet the police...I think I would have notified the 911 dispatcher that I was armed, and that prior to opening the door (if necessary to open the door), I would secure my weapon. In addition to others pointing out that your weapon needed to be "available" in this type of situation without having to get up and go to the closet, a really cheap alarm is to leave your car keys on the nightstand. If you are driving a newer car with a remote entry, most have a panic button on the entry. See if the panic button will work on your vehicle from your bedroom. A loud horn going off is like a deep growl from a watchdog, it should be a deterrent and a warning to leave. Just my $0.02 worth..

1 - 20 of 75 Posts