Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working today, one of my coworkers gets a phone call from his brother. Apparently his brother arrived home to find a man ransacking his home, he called 911 and sometime between the call and officers arriving a single shot was fired. Coworkers brother is ok. He says the invader had a weapon, not sure what the weapon was. This city is a mess it's nice to hear the good guy come out on top for once!
http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/man-shot-in-alleged-home-break-in-1.1465678

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Home invasion is too overused these days. A home invasion is when you are home and someone breaks down your door or forces their way in. What you describe was a burglary in progress. A minor point perhaps but this is akin to using the term "assault" weapon. Let's call things by what they really are and not what sounds best. :)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Glad the homeowner is OK. Like Old Dog said, this was a burglary in progress.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Your description sounds like a burglary but the article makes it sound like a one invasion as it seems to imply the brother was in the house not just arriving.

·
Banned
455 Posts
I'm glad the owner is ok.I know if it ever happens to me,i would freak out.Home invasion,or robbery,whatever,we aren't in court,it's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ha ha invasion, common misconception, as stated above it was burglary
Lets hope it doesn't happen to any of us here, if it happens in my home, well I will be calling cops after a few well placed shots
Never ever let the bad guy out alive
And guys, show no mercy, ever!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Home invasion is too overused these days. A home invasion is when you are home and someone breaks down your door or forces their way in. What you describe was a burglary in progress. A minor point perhaps but this is akin to using the term "assault" weapon. Let's call things by what they really are and not what sounds best. :)
In Texas, when he fired the bullet it also became an Aggravated Robbery or Attempted Capital Murder depending on how the DA's Office decided to pursue it when the thug is caught. So, what does all this mean...its a 2nd degree (2 - 20 years) felony to burglarize a habitation for theft only. The charges of Aggravated Robbery and Attempted Capital Murder are 1st degree felonies (5 - 99 or life).

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Really? Invasion or burg. Who cares

It matters quite a bit for some. In many states a home invasion (breaking in while the home is occupied) is grounds for use of deadly force while arriving at a burglary is not since protection of property is not grounds for the use of deadly force.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It matters quite a bit for some. In many states a home invasion (breaking in while the home is occupied) is grounds for use of deadly force while arriving at a burglary is not since protection of property is not grounds for the use of deadly force.
Agreed. Big distinction. It's not semantics. And someone who would burglarize would not necessarily home invade. That's a whole 'norther ball o' wax. Jmo

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you read the article it mentions them finding a second weapon where the man was shot, according to the troopers the guy that got shot also had a firearm

·
Registered
414 Posts
Actually it does matter. But one trick. If you call 911 and say HOME INVASION you will likely get a completely higher level of response to your home than calling in for example a prowler or burglar. It's a term that has become part of our media driven pop culture. Just like assault weapon, gun violence, arsenal and all the other words that are misused.

In fact those little things called words mean very little these days. OP, glad everyone was okay. I always come home fully armed and have visual indicators I check to see if someone may be in the house. If I discovered a burglar the cops would be getting the call after the fact.

·
Registered
42,343 Posts

Really? Magazine or clip; assault weapon or semi-auto firearm. The is a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Working today, one of my coworkers gets a phone call from his brother. Apparently his brother arrived home to find a man ransacking his home, he called 911 and sometime between the call and officers arriving a single shot was fired. Coworkers brother is ok. He says the invader had a weapon, not sure what the weapon was. This city is a mess it's nice to hear the good guy come out on top for once!
http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/man-shot-in-alleged-home-break-in-1.1465678

Your link is dead but I think this is the same story with video from Hazleton, PA.
Intruder Allegedly Shot by Homeowner | WNEP.com

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ha ha invasion, common misconception, as stated above it was burglary
Lets hope it doesn't happen to any of us here, if it happens in my home, well I will be calling cops after a few well placed shots
Never ever let the bad guy out alive
And guys, show no mercy, ever!!!!!!
Be careful what you say on the i-net, it CAN come back to haunt you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Texas, when he fired the bullet it also became an Aggravated Robbery or Attempted Capital Murder depending on how the DA's Office decided to pursue it when the thug is caught. So, what does all this mean...its a 2nd degree (2 - 20 years) felony to burglarize a habitation for theft only. The charges of Aggravated Robbery and Attempted Capital Murder are 1st degree felonies (5 - 99 or life).
It wouldn't be " attempted capital murder" because he wasn't a cop or a judge, but attempted murder yes...aggravated assault, yes...glade to hear he is ok

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...I believe the retired homicide detective in the state of Texas knows the law pretty well...in Texas, which is what he was posting on...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts