Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week there was a home invasion in Panama City, FL. I thought the tactics they used might interest folks here. A young couple was home when someone knocked on the door at about 8:00 p.m. As soon as the home owner unlatched the door, three large, heavily armed men rushed in and overpowered the couple. They trashed the place and beat the couple.

When someone knocks on my door late at night I usually put a size 14 against the base of the door. These guys were all over 200 lbs and hit the door hard, so that tactic wouldn't have worked in this case. In truth, they could have just all hit the door at the same time and it wouldn't have mattered if it was unlatched or not.

The bad guys were caught and it turned out that the young couple had bought meth and marijuana and paid with counterfeit bills. I guess that would be a second lesson to learn from the scenario.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
I don't answer my door unless I expect you, day or night.....if you want in that bad you may not be leavin'.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Ehhhh around here all true home invasions are always the result of some criminal shenanigans I dont worry much about it happening to me. I do however never open the door without first knowing who is knocking.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You want to walk on the wild side. This is what happens. Screw them they should be in jail. I have brother that does this kind of stuff. He is in jail for the third time doing 10 years on drug dealing. They never learn.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Late evening or night or even unexpected visitors at my front door are sometimes greeted by surprise.

I never open my front door unless I have already scoped out who's there. Fortunately, I have two windows on either side of the door that allow me to see who is on the front porch and where they are.

If I am not totally secure about the situation I simply go out one of my two rear entrances and approach from around the side of the house. Needless to say if it is anything remotely suspicious I approach armed.

If it is really sketchy I will call 911.

So far it's usually just Jehovah's Witnesses, kids selling stuff to raise money (little league, girl scouts, high school band, football etc.) or real estate brokers wanting to list my house.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Guess next time they need to use debit card.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a murder in town just before Christmas. It turns out that it was retaliation for ripping off a drug dealer. About two weeks later there was another murder. It was retaliation for retaliating for ripping off a drug dealer. The common thread here is that in every case it was the gun's fault.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If we're not expecting anyone, I try to answer the door and do it armed. My wife remains somewhere else in the house. If something goes wrong, she can grab a gun and a phone. If she goes to answer the door (sometimes she beats me to it) I hang back to see what's going on before approaching the door. We can look out to see whose there before opening. But then again, we don't mess with drugs.

I have heard a story or two about disgruntled drug dealers/user going to the wrong house. They go to North Main St instead of South Main St.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Ever notice how some women are fast to answer the doorbell.....not even considering who's doin' the ringing.
The "It Can't Happen To Me" syndrome...

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sunday night about 8:00 p.m. my Pit bull went nuts. I stopped what I was doing and went to investigate and saw the mailman backing out of the driveway. He was delivering a package. I had no idea the mailman even worked on Sundays, let alone that late.

My dogs have different barks for different situations. They have an excited bark when my daughters pull in the yard. They have a bark for when people or dogs are walking by on the street. An then they have the "get the hell off my lawn" bark. Whenever I hear that one I make a point to check it out and tell them what a good job they're doing.

I have five dogs and the pit bull is the most reliable. He has great hearing and he knows when someone is in the yard.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
As soon as the home owner unlatched the door, three large, heavily armed men rushed in and overpowered the couple. They trashed the place and beat the couple.
One of these solves the problem of unwanted "guests" forcing their way in.

Reactions: mr.stuart

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Last week there was a home invasion in Panama City, FL. I thought the tactics they used might interest folks here. A young couple was home when someone knocked on the door at about 8:00 p.m. As soon as the home owner unlatched the door, three large, heavily armed men rushed in and overpowered the couple. They trashed the place and beat the couple.

When someone knocks on my door late at night I usually put a size 14 against the base of the door. These guys were all over 200 lbs and hit the door hard, so that tactic wouldn't have worked in this case. In truth, they could have just all hit the door at the same time and it wouldn't have mattered if it was unlatched or not.

The bad guys were caught and it turned out that the young couple had bought meth and marijuana and paid with counterfeit bills. I guess that would be a second lesson to learn from the scenario.
So I guess one might say "You get what you pay for?"

Reactions: BBMike and Rhinoman

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Never used drugs either but that doesn't guarantee some bad guys won't get the address wrong. I always identify people at the front door by looking out a window several feet from the door. I also ALWAYS answer the door with a gun in hand unless I know the person at the door. If I don't know them I ask what they want before unbolting the door. If they try to blow through my steel door and lock plus deadbolt I will be waiting with gun in hand. I don't expect any trouble in our circle but trouble finds us. We don't need to be the ones doing the finding.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
One of these solves the problem of unwanted "guests" forcing their way in.

We put up a 100-lb. security door about five years ago,one extra layer of safety. It opens out, you could pry it open but kicking will not work on ours, the z bar is set against brick. The Ring doorbell is our favorite security device, it works

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We put up a 100-lb. security door about five years ago,one extra layer of safety. It opens out, you could pry it open but kicking will not work on ours, the z bar is set against brick. The Ring doorbell is our favorite security device, it works
I'm looking at some type of video camera for my front door and driveway. I had packages stolen from around the front door twice this month.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts