Registered
33,874 Posts

·
Registered
33,874 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Then your an idiot. Of the 3.7 million burglaries a year in America 266,560 of those became violent crimes against the home owner. About 7% of all burglary's end up as violent home invasions. 1 million over all are just home invasions, which is "entering a dwelling and committing or with intent to commit a crime (as assault) while armed and while another is lawfully present". Only a total idiot would think a "SWAT team" is a bigger threat.
I never said that I thought a SWAT team was a bigger threat. I said it was a greater concern to me. Have you got a book of statistics on things that concern me? SWAT teams aren't something that I lay awake worrying about. I'm just aware that on rare occasions, they do happen.

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House - ABC News

SWAT team targets wrong person's home in case of mistaken identity - Story | WTTG

It's not a common thing. It's just something to be aware of before you start shooting at somebody coming through your door.

How can you tell the difference between a SWAT raid and a home invasion? | Active Response Training

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
My home is my decompression chamber from the worries of everyday life, so I do not carry in the house, although I might if outside working.
There are more farm tractors going up and down the road nearest my house than cars, and my house sits a long way from the road, so I’m not going to dwell to much on this stuff.

But , there is a rifle or handgun stashed in just about every part of the house I may be in at any given time.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have been carrying at home and everywhere for many years,it's always in my pocket except for when I'm in bed,and then it's within reach on the night stand.
Same here. Sig P226 open carry OWB at home, Sig P239 IWB and S&W 638 in a pocket when away from home. The 226 is on the nightstand within reach at night.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
a compact Glock .45 is on my side as I type this, prior to going out into the dark, cold and snow to feed and check livestock before going on patrol today.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Had a case here just the other day where a man heard a noise walked into kitchen and saw a man on his patio who was attempting to break into the home that then pointed a gun at him he was able to get off three shots and stop the perp. Got to remember these people have made up there mind to commit a felony and one most consider violent. I carry a gun if I am dressed when not there's several within reach.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Here's what I don't get.

Seems like way too many home invasion stories start off with a statement of how the invaders surprised the occupants.

Do lots of folks just leave their doors unlocked? Do they open their doors to whoever rings the doorbell?

What's wrong with these people?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Here's what I don't get.

Seems like way too many home invasion stories start off with a statement of how the invaders surprised the occupants.

Do lots of folks just leave their doors unlocked? Do they open their doors to whoever rings the doorbell?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Many people believe that if it has never happened to them before, it never will.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Here's what I don't get.

Many homes are surprisingly easy to get into. The front door may have a sturdy deadbolt but look at the door leading from the laundry room to the garage or the patio doors. Elderly people with the television at high volume are especially susceptible. My mother would get mad at you if you suggested she needed hearing aids yet she kept the television volume so high you could hear it from the driveway. Her patio doors were sliding glass. A sturdy screwdriver beneath the door would pry the entire unit off its track.

·
Registered
33,874 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I wonder how many of these home's had no dogs ? I feel that a dog/dogs are the best deterrent ...When my family was young I had to work a lot of overtime, I also had Rottweilers , I was never worried about my wife a daughters safty while I was away ...

Get a dog great deterrent , great friend/company...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Let's see respect, even when we don't agree with someone else's opinion.
BTW! The only gun not lost when I visited the grand Canyon stays with e 24/7.
A side note for those who like this kind of stuff.
It is lightly snowing and 34 degrees in Mid Valley Oregon. Tom TKH

·
Registered
922 Posts
That would be "you're" an idiot, but it's not nice either way.
Either way its true, tho "your an imbecile" is even better. Some of these idiotic Police statements on the gun forum web deserve to be called out, and not nicely, this being one of them. What next? saying "cops shoot more innocent people then criminals do"?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I wonder how many of these home's had no dogs ? I feel that a dog/dogs are the best deterrent ...When my family was young I had to work a lot of overtime, I also had Rottweilers , I was never worried about my wife a daughters safty while I was away ...

Get a dog great deterrent , great friend/company...
Yep. We've owned and trained GSD's for many years. Admiral makes an awful fuss if anything is out of place. He never takes days off and he is militant in his protection of "his" domain. Granted, it is slightly annoying when I am awoken to his snarling and barking at 2am only to find my neighbor's cat in my driveway, but You can't sneak up on us. So I'm willing to overlook it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yep. We've owned and trained GSD's for many years. Admiral makes an awful fuss if anything is out of place. He never takes days off and he is militant in his protection of "his" domain. Granted, it is slightly annoying when I am awoken to his snarling and barking at 2am only to find my neighbor's cat in my driveway, but You can't sneak up on us. So I'm willing to overlook it.
Neighbors cat wouldn't have made it in the driveway , it took three years after my last rotttie passed for rabbits to be seen in my yard again, if my alpha male barked (a rarity) I was out the door because someone was out there , I've never chained/kenneled my dogs I've used invisible fence for the past 30 years , the dogs have free movement any place on my property...We no longer have rotties (I miss them) we have three dogs including an American Stanfordshire Terrier a great dog just as loving and protective just a lil smaller much easer to take with us camping etc ...

Reactions: sparkyfender
41 - 60 of 205 Posts