Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Here's what I don't get.

Seems like way too many home invasion stories start off with a statement of how the invaders surprised the occupants.

Do lots of folks just leave their doors unlocked? Do they open their doors to whoever rings the doorbell?

What's wrong with these people?
Having kicked a few doors, If you kick the right place most fly open first kick. DR

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I wake up, I put my gun on and I don't take it off until I go to bed around 11pm-midnight. It goes into a quick access bedside safe (have little ones in the home). I didn't use to carry while at home, but then I realized most home invasions happen... at home.
Sounds just like what I do. Put it on in the morning and it stays on until bed time. Except mine stays on the bedside table not in the safe. It is just the wife and I in the home.

Joe

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I wonder how many of these home's had no dogs ? I feel that a dog/dogs are the best deterrent ...When my family was young I had to work a lot of overtime, I also had Rottweilers , I was never worried about my wife a daughters safty while I was away ...

Get a dog great deterrent , great friend/company...
I agree. We just got a golden retriever puppy two weeks ago. She's an excellent fit for our family and it's good to have a dog back in the home for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yep. We've owned and trained GSD's for many years. Admiral makes an awful fuss if anything is out of place. He never takes days off and he is militant in his protection of "his" domain. Granted, it is slightly annoying when I am awoken to his snarling and barking at 2am only to find my neighbor's cat in my driveway, but You can't sneak up on us. So I'm willing to overlook it.
My friend, a retired cop who was the local k-9 officer for several years sheepishly tells the story of the young punk who came by in the middle of the night and using a wrench and a pair of wire cutters unmounted and stole the light bar off the top of his police car parked in his driveway while he and his highly trained police K-9 were both soundly sleeping less than 20 feet away on the other side of the window. My friend eventually got the light bar back and arrested the kid, but that's another funny story.

Just a note on the "wrong address" conversation. I too have Google send me a daily email with every home invasion news story contained therein. After reading those every day, I can say that one thing that happens fairly often is a home invasion in which the robbers get the address wrong. They either hit a home from which a drug dealer has recently moved, or just as often have made a mistake in either the house numbers or the street name.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I agree. We just got a golden retriever puppy two weeks ago. She's an excellent fit for our family and it's good to have a dog back in the home for the reasons mentioned above.

What a beauty!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Yes, except while in the shower, but as I told a north of our border anti gunner, who in a snooty tone ask did I carry that "thing" all the time, I respond, "been tempted to use one gallon zip locks!"

Reactions: Rdiorio25

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
This is from a 13 Feb news article:
"I woke up to come open the door because I thought it was my brother getting off work, and then they just kicked in the door by the time I could get there and just started shooting," Ethan Rorex said. " reference

And 16 Feb new article:
OKLAHOMA CITY — One person is dead and three others are seriously hurt after a violent home invasion in southwest Oklahoma City. <snip> Shortly after midnight, two suspects reportedly busted into a home near S.W. 15th and Pennsylvania and began shooting at the people inside the home....<snip> "It is unusual to see this many gunshot victims in one crime scene who were all struck by gunfire from one suspect,” said Officer Megan Morgan from the Oklahoma City Police Department. Reference

And Feb 14 news article:
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Authorities said they have found a 4-year-old girl who went missing Tuesday during a home invasion in Charleston, South Carolina. Police said she was found safe in Riverside, Alabama. <snip> Heidi Renae Todd was reported missing just before 6 p.m. Tuesday. The Charleston Police Department said her mother was rushed to an area hospital after the school attended by two of her children called the police reporting they did not show up and their mother did not call them in sick. <snip> Apparently, she was brutally beaten and she's in reasonably fair condition under the circumstance and I understand will be undergoing some surgery. She is considered medical to be in fair condition,” Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg told reporters Wednesday afternoon. reference

My comments: Home invasions have always been with us, but it just seems that the level of violence and intentional harm is ratcheting up. I don't have any statistical proof of this, but overall in our society people who do these heinous acts seem to be valuing human life at zero. Correction, less than zero. Like shooting and harming another human is on the same level as shooting a rat in the barnyard.

Should we consider house-carrying? Or perhaps more disciplined gun staging? Or something else?

All ideas appreciated.
When at home, in the rare case I'm not carrying my G26 or variant, I carry a dual holster- a noisy rat terrier on one side and a Belgian Malinois on the other. If the Mal doesn't hear the intruder and remove his/her jugular first, she responds to the clatter from the viscious rattie.

But I'm almost always carrying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree, home invasions have stepped up in ferocity in recent years. Set up a Google news alert for “home invasion” and a regular feed of these will get emailed (https://www.bloggingbasics101.com/how-to-set-up-a-google-alert-and-why-its-a-good-idea/).

I’ve carried around the house for years due to credible death threats from criminal military members I’ve sent to prison. A handgun or two is always on me, and there are staged long guns. Also have online security cameras; we can see the front door, driveway, back door, etc., from our phones before going to answer the door or check on a noise.
Not by choice, but what a way to live from day to day. Your spider sense is in the red zone 24/7.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, except while in the shower, but as I told a north of our border anti gunner, who in a snooty tone ask did I carry that "thing" all the time, I respond, "been tempted to use one gallon zip locks!"
A nice stainless snubby in a Ziploc is a great shower buddy :D

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Not by choice, but what a way to live from day to day. Your spider sense is in the red zone 24/7.
You get used to it, and with enough security layers for increased reaction time I can easily get back to condition white at home. There are many others coping with similar threats too. The transition zone entering or leaving home, or working in an open garage or in the yard, is where my spidey sense is always ramped up. Out in public or nested inside the “fortress” I’m mostly normal.

But if someone I don’t know rings our doorbell, my hands aren’t visible if I open the door and I’m ready to act if needed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I used to back when our neighborhood was overrun with methheads. Now more on condition yellow. Don't really depend 100% on a gun in the house for protection. Doors are always locked, windows all have blinds on them and let me know when someone is climbing through and gives me plenty of warning. Every room has some sort of defensive weapon so an intruder may end up with a hatchet buried in his skull, an aluminum arrow buried in his eye socket, perhaps a ice climbing ax buried in his lung, hey, I wonder if you could hook it and pull it out between his ribs, might have to that.
In any case, any home invader is going to meet up with pure rage. I despise them and think they are the most dangerous scumbags out there these days.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I feel like the best way to prevent such occurrences is to have a hardened perimeter. Solid doors, solid hinges, long screws, exterior cameras to make sure no one is hiding outside when you're leaving. 3M security film on downstairs glass should also help. I am not sure I WANT to carry everywhere in the house. But I figure if I harden my perimeter ENOUGH that I would have at least 20-30 seconds warning time, I can grab the kids, march upstairs, and the home invaders can feel free to choose to ascend via the free fire zone... I mean staircase.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have a housegun readily available but I do not carry on my person while at home. I live rural.. have ornamental iron on most windows, security film on the ones that don't.. solid wood doors and hardwood jambs, back door jamb is metal, deep throw deadbolts, 3' door devil (anti kick) lock plates, cameras, monitored alarm, large dogs, fences and a very unpleasant and nosey wife. It will take an unusually robust and determined invader to make it inside my home before I can casually walk to a nearby drawer to retrieve the housegun.

If you do not feel comfortable walking around your home while unarmed, you may want to identify what you consider to be a weak point in your security and simply bolster it. Keep doing that until you have a system that allows you to feel secure in your own home. It may take weeks, months or years but just get started and you will get there sooner than you think. Heck, I have been taking baby steps for 15 years and still want to upgrade my external lighting situation. I'll get there

61 - 80 of 205 Posts