Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I think that this is a valuable exercise, given the realities of right now. I'm willing to write my answers, I don't live in a Suburb, heck the little town we live outside of isn't even incorporated. My driveway (well, gravel drive) is 1300' long, and bounded by livestock barbed wire on both sides, so I'd see them coming a long ways away. So, my answers are quite hypothetical, but if..........

IF I knew a crowd of "Peaceful Protesters" were coming down our street and we lived in the suburbs:

I'd be outside in a lawn chair, with AR in my lap, couple of extra mags and my handgun of choice on the hip, with extra mags. Drinking my Diet A & W root beer.

My wife would be in the house, similarly armed, in the back covering the rear of the house.

I would not verbally engage the Protesters. I might simply wave at them in a friendly way, if they were hooting and hollering. I wouldn't say anything unless they began to try the gate. At that point, I'd rack a round, be on my feet, and verbally address them over my leveled and centered sights with a simple "Stop, NOW!" If they breach the gate or fence, they get shot. I'll let folks come and drag them off for medical assistance, but any rush to breach the fence, gets shot, more.

If I see a Molotov Cocktail, they get shot. If I take fire, if I can identify my target, they get to be on a two-way range.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood of mostly veterans and active/retired LE.
  • Hypothetically, this type of scenario may (or may not) have been discussed at last weekend's BBQ.
  • Hypothetically, over watch and sectors of fire with overlapping coverage may (or may not) have been organized.
  • I keep 10 magazines loaded for every semiauto I hypothetically own...for optimal range time.
  • I have 2 well trained rottweilers. They're lovable, cuddly, bundles of joy and genetically predisposed to protect.
Oddly enough, the anxiety level in our neighborhood is fairly low. Not sure why, though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Me and my wife would go to Texas Roadhouse. I would have a 16 ounce sirloin, medium well, a fully loaded baked potato, and ranch on my salad. I don't know what my wife would order.

When we got home and the protesters had already passed through my neighborhood, I would check my home, and vehicles for any damage. If damage was found, I would contact my insurance company.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think that this is a valuable exercise, given the realities of right now. I'm willing to write my answers, I don't live in a Suburb, heck the little town we live outside of isn't even incorporated. My driveway (well, gravel drive) is 1300' long, and bounded by livestock barbed wire on both sides, so I'd see them coming a long ways away. So, my answers are quite hypothetical, but if..........
We have similar living circumstances. I think the only difference is that my driveway is not lined with livestock barbed wire. The sides and back of the property, however, at some point, are.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
This is not hypothetical, but what I would do here. I live on a dead end street surrounded by woods and barbed wire fence. There is one way in, one way out, unless you want to get tore up by barbed wire or thorn vines. I have 1 security cam on the ends of the house, two on both the front and back, one camera on the front is pointing up the road. Besides the cameras, we have two driveway alarms. We did this several years ago when next door neighbor's grandson broke into my shed and stole $5000 worth of tools. We know who or what is roaming outside. So if things were to get squirrely, we would know when someone came down the road, we would have enough time to head out the back door and off to safety. I would be making my way through the woods to the front of the house, keeping overwatch as things unfolded. If things went violent and people started shooting at the house or trying to burn it down, I would send a barrage of lead down range and they wouldn't know what hit 'em.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Not as sexy as gunpowder and lead, but a bullhorn as a crowd control tool is worth considering: Amazon.com : Pyle Megaphone Speaker PA Bullhorn with Built-in Siren - 50 Watts Adjustable Volume Control and 1200 Yard Range - Ideal for Football, Baseball, Basketball Cheerleading Fans & Coaches or for Safety Drills (PMP50) : Coaches Megaphones : Sports & Outdoors

Calmly, slowly, and loudly state:
"This is private property. Leave now. Police are on the way. Leave now. We will defend ourselves. Leave now. ..."

A crowd hearing clear and authoritative commands over a bullhorn from someone with the voice of a military drill instructor will likely get the "oh, poop, this is getting too real for me" and many may peel off to avoid getting shot. That reduces the number of hostiles. If the remainder choose to attack they should be dealt with as appropriate for the circumstances.

Purely hypothetical, of course.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Me and my wife would go to Texas Roadhouse. I would have a 16 ounce sirloin, medium well, a fully loaded baked potato, and ranch on my salad. I don't know what my wife would order.

When we got home and the protesters had already passed through my neighborhood, I would check my home, and vehicles for any damage. If damage was found, I would contact my insurance company.
I would have to do medium rare on the sirloin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'd be on our 2nd floor balcony, with a weapon within easy reach in case of trouble. Our house sits back about 20 yards from the street, so it most likely wouldn't be as tempting a target. It's back far enough that Halloween trick or treaters often pass us by, even though we're giving out candy.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just like many years ago, it will probably start when you say, oh s........

Plan all you want. There are some situations you just can't control or predict.
My wife is bedridden and would not be able to flee.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
This reminds me of a article I read about the L.A. riots, as the chaos commenced, business being looted, homes being burned. A man stood guard, standing in the shadows in his arms he cradled his wife's broomstick . When things finally calmed, this mans home was still intact, the rioters gave him a wide berth, moving on to easier pray.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is of course impossible to say what you'd do in such a scenario, only what you think you'd do. I would want the mob to be able to see that I was armed and presumably willing to defend myself, so probably my son and I would be facing the street, each of us armed with an AR at minimum. Fire scares me and insurance issues aside I don't think I could stand by and watch something I spent my life building burn for no good reason. Therefore I do believe anyone attempting to throw a firebomb would become a target. I would definitely see a firebomb as a threat to my life.

If the situation deteriorates to the point that such a scenario is even possible where I live then probably the entire country has spiraled into anarchy and no measures are too extreme when it comes to self defense.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My only plan is to respond to deadly threats as best I can with what I have. The rest can be sorted out afterwards by whoever responds to my 911 call.

·
Premium Member
33,782 Posts
What if the dog's name is Bullet?
Interesting with all this stuff happening, only half the respondents have a real answer. Thanks for those, BTW. But re: the other half, it seems like not everyone is really thinking this is a possibility, or they just don't know what they would do.
The answer I provided is real.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The answer I provided is real.
It might be real, but it did not address any of the questions in the hypothetical. So what if your dog gets taken out? Even a great dog like that can only handle one person at a time. While he is on one person, anyone else with a club could take care of him. You gonna stand there and watch that happen?

·
Premium Member
33,782 Posts
It might be real, but it did not address any of the questions in the hypothetical. So what if your dog gets taken out? Even a great dog like that can only handle one person at a time. While he is on one person, anyone else with a club could take care of him. You gonna stand there and watch that happen?
Somehow my dog got brought into the scenario, I'm not sure how. Anyhow, he isn't part of my defense plan against rioters/looters/arsonists/etc. He will be safely indoors, away from the action. If the action makes its way inside my house, we are probably all fried.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I have learned from studying carry laws for travel in most states it seems to avoid issues you need to go inside and wait for a door breach, then you can have at it. Standing out front to protect property with deadly force would not be a good move in my conservative state, I can only imagine what would happen in other states.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
From what I have learned from studying carry laws for travel in most states it seems to avoid issues you need to go inside and wait for a door breach, then you can have at it. Standing out front to protect property with deadly force would not be a good move in my conservative state, I can only imagine what would happen in other states.
I really hate to admit that you are probably right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Standing out front to protect property with deadly force would not be a good move in my conservative state, I can only imagine what would happen in other states.
Lucky for me, I live in Missouri with a strong Castle Doctrine law, so I would be on the front porch with my rifle and handgun and a lot of full magazines.

I live in the near downtown of St. Louis, so this is more than an academic exercise...I would yell STOP NOW and anyone entering my yard would be put down immediately. I fear for and am responsible for the safety of my family.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts