81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Simple ..:
Shut up and .. stay inside behind cover ..
Let them pass .. so what if they damaged some things out side ..
Not worth the headache to go to Court .. IMO

·
Registered
36,177 Posts
Don't think they will pass muster in FL.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's complicated... It really comes down to making sure my family stays safe.... Home damage can be covered by insurance. Problem is if they set the house on fire with my family inside.

When this whole thing started back in March, I saw writing on the wall. It said - go to home depot and buy plywood. I bought enough plywood to cover all the glass around the house at the ground level and have some to spare. I was in a way expecting something like this - wether it was going to be a mad max type of a scenario or some other reason for unrest.

I figure for me to put up plywood on the front of the house would take me about 30 to 45 minutes - not that much glass. Back side about the same if not less.

And then... Reaim my cameras to monitor the are and have a quick access to the garage roof from inside of my house (a backyard upstairs window with a small step ladder lets me get in and out quickly and if I need to I can monitor all of the front easily.... I'd prefer to stay unseen on the roof till things started going south because as you can see in vids from Kenosha armed folks seem to antagonize idiots and make them take foolish steps which end up in escalation.

Oh yeah.. and while I know that this wouldn't save me from a huge fire, I do have about 20 extinguishers handy just in case (long story behind how I ended up with 20, but I honestly don't mind that now :) )

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Somebody here (it may have been OldChap) mentioned concertina wire to control access. I don't have that but I do have barbed wire that could be used for a temporary additional fence lines. Assuming there is time to string it. Other than that, the wife at one end of the house with rifle and sidearm, and myself at the other with the same, would give us coverage to both sides and the front with about an 60 degree crossfire zone should we need it. It would also give cover behind parked vehicles and easy withdrawal to the rear for re-entry to the house or escape across the back fields to neighbors.
I'd probably tolerate rock throwing but trying to burn us out would likely draw a response.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My door threshold is the line in the sand and the law is clear on what can be done on both sides of it. And everything is insured. So I'd make sure I have everything video recorded in case charges need to be filed against anyone for property damage.

·
Registered
36,177 Posts
It's complicated... It really comes down to making sure my family stays safe.... Home damage can be covered by insurance. Problem is if they set the house on fire with my family inside.
Arson is a forcible felony in FL, and deadly force is allowed to prevent a forcible felony.

776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

You could consider a few actions of a rock-throwing mob as forcible felonies also.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts