Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a home security system and I’m looking to upgrade to some cameras. I don’t really know much about the camera’s except that I don’t want to pay $300 per camera. I would like to be able to view the cameras from my computer, tab, and phone away from home. I want to do both indoor and outdoor cameras. I know that depending that how many cameras I put in I will need a DVR with more channels to monitor them, I know that there is no getting around the cost of that. I think this would be a great ascent for around the house both when home and away, if I hear a bump in the night I don’t have to go walking around the house to see what’s up, I can just turn on the TV and see what’s going on. Even more important than me doing it is my wife can when I’m working nights.

Does anyone have something like this set up, or know anything about them? I really would like to keep the cost down minimal, but know you get what your pay for at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
We have a number of IP cameras in and around the house. A combination of Foscam 8910's and 9821's... they work wired or wireless, can be viewed in realtime from inside and outside (with some router port-forwarding) and can send motion detection and/or sound detection alerts/pictures via FTP or email. They can be panned/tilted remotely and can even continuously scan back and forth. They suport full color daytime use and an IR night mode that works quite well. Both models support two-way audio. The outside cams are in waterproof dome enclosures.

The 8910's (640x480) are around $85 each and the 9821's (720p HD) are around $160 each. I paid $50 each for the outdoor enclosures on ebay.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've thought about security cameras that you can look at online when you're away from home....but the thought of "someone" being able to look in on me and my family without my knowledge doesn't sit well. You know it will happen. People that work for security companies...are still PEOPLE. And just how wire taps have been authorized, I can see the government authorizing looking in your security cameras, too.

Reactions: NONAME762

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I've thought about security cameras that you can look at online when you're away from home....but the thought of "someone" being able to look in on me and my family without my knowledge doesn't sit well. You know it will happen. People that work for security companies...are still PEOPLE. And just how wire taps have been authorized, I can see the government authorizing looking in your security cameras, too.
Roll your own with IP cameras, configure them for obscure ports and user strong passwords :)

Reactions: brocktice

·
Registered
606 Posts
That doesn't negate the government telling the security company that they have a "good reason" to tap into your private security feed. No thank you.

·
Registered
606 Posts
So it's literally your own system?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So it's literally your own system?
Yep!

YOUR cameras. Using YOUR home network as a server. Setup, run, and monitored only by YOU. :thumbsup:

Be sure to go for a system with local storage, not cloud storage, if you don't want your feed on someone else's servers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep, my brother has one of the Swann systems. Last year, someone 2 houses down from him set their house on fire for attempted insurance fraud. The fire chief was talking to neighbors and asking if they saw anything. He noticed my brothers cameras and asked if he could see the footage. He said the quality was better than most cameras that he was used to seeing in stores.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i should have been more clear, i am looking to do this on my own for that exact reason. Ive heard that you can run it through your home internet router and use password protection. So i think i would be comfortable and feel safe with doing it right, i dought anyone would really want to just look at us were preaty boring lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have a number of IP cameras in and around the house. A combination of Foscam 8910's and 9821's... they work wired or wireless, can be viewed in realtime from inside and outside (with some router port-forwarding) and can send motion detection and/or sound detection alerts/pictures via FTP or email. They can be panned/tilted remotely and can even continuously scan back and forth. They suport full color daytime use and an IR night mode that works quite well. Both models support two-way audio. The outside cams are in waterproof dome enclosures.

The 8910's (640x480) are around $85 each and the 9821's (720p HD) are around $160 each. I paid $50 each for the outdoor enclosures on ebay.
What is the life expectancy of these?? and have you noticed anything with them that wasnt expected?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I did open ports on my router so I can see the camera's. I'm also running some software at home that captures movement and stores the video / images. The software has a web page, which is also opened through my router. I recently ordered a new router, which supports a VPN connection. Once I receive and configure the router I probably will close the external ports and open them via VPN. Although I highly doubt someone might want to attemp brake into my camera's in the current configuration, a VPN will make that just about impossible.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yep!

YOUR cameras. Using YOUR home network as a server. Setup, run, and monitored only by YOU. :thumbsup:

Be sure to go for a system with local storage, not cloud storage, if you don't want your feed on someone else's servers.

Very interesting! Thank you for the lesson! :smile:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yep!

One addition, on a server that is not easily seen / stolen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
And to add to the mix, there are plenty of software titles that you can install to monitor the cameras, as well as motion record, alert, etc. I currently have three Foscam cameras (Driveway, Front Door, and the corner of my lot) that run 24/7 and are setup to motion capture when someone enters my property. I then use a free app on my old first gen iPad to leave running when I sitting in my den on my main computer. The iPad shows me who is at the door, in my driveway or on my property before I decide to get up and answer the door. It gives me a few more seconds of maintaining yellow before I go to orange. :smile:

iSpyConnect and Webcamxp 5 are both decent free/inexpensive server based monitoring software titles. It is very easy to set up your own.

Steve E..

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One addition, on a server that is not easily seen / stolen.
Excellent point.

Capturing an intruders face on camera does no good if he/she can steal the hard drive it's stored on.

One person I know uses an old tower computer with a video capture card for his security server. He has a small-ish floor safe bolted securely within a closet, with a small hole to run a cable to the external hard drives stored inside. It's not perfect, but it will resist the casual burglar.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I use Qsee systems at both my home and office. Here are some images from the home while monitoring it from the office while reading this thread. I record 24/7 on the dvr, but have the option of recording remotely at the office or even via smart phone if I happen to see something going on. These images are smaller than what can be pulled from the system locally.

50.jpg
51.jpg
52.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg
56.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take a look at Logitech's camera system.
They are hi-def (720p), and plug into a normal wall outlet.
They get power from the outlet, and then transmit the camera signal/image to your computer screen (real time)
via the same power outlet.

They work pretty good, and are easy to install.
They make both indoor and outdoor units.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts