Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips or suggestions?

Looking for a high definition wireless camera setup, minimum of 4 cameras (three exterior cams at entry doors and one indoors at the stairs to the bedrooms which will probably catch good facial images), a DVR with ability to access from mobile devices and to save video on the cloud, and possibly a few extra camera ports to add a couple more cameras over time.

Wireless is needed instead of POE since we're in a rental home.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I use the NEST camera. Works great and is inexpensive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We recently installed an Arlo Pro system from netgear... I think it will handle up to 4 cameras and is fully wireless, meaning each camera has a rechargeable battery so it does not need to be plugged in like the Nest ones.

So far so good; image quality isn't as good as a HD wired camera, but it works pretty well. Motion detection does sometimes have a bit of a lag though. Other than the total number of cameras, i think it meets your criteria.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the locations we need to monitor a 1080 or better system is preferred. The Nest outdoor cam looks the closest to what we want, but neighbors are complaining about the high subscription fees.

We've had a series of car break ins (of unlocked cars...) in the areas nearby. The streets getting hit have been getting closer to us, and neighbors found debris in the street this morning from a likely hit a block away. The yippy dog a couple houses away apparently went nuts at about 2 am for no known reason.

Soooo... the mrs just told me to order some cameras already. Went ahead and ordered a LaView system through Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LaView-8...t-and-2-Dome-Cameras-LV98V2BT2DT-T2/300326673

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Any tips or suggestions?

Looking for a high definition wireless camera setup, minimum of 4 cameras (three exterior cams at entry doors and one indoors at the stairs to the bedrooms which will probably catch good facial images), a DVR with ability to access from mobile devices and to save video on the cloud, and possibly a few extra camera ports to add a couple more cameras over time.

Wireless is needed instead of POE since we're in a rental home.

wireless camera's are easily jammed.. just so ya know.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wireless camera's are easily jammed.. just so ya know.
Yup. The thieves hitting our region aren't that tech savvy, though, at least not yet. The cameras we ordered can also accept POE with minor mods, I think. We're escaping NoVA in 3-4 years and when we buy at the next place we can hardwire in. This is a temp solution for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts