Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently carved out a shooting range on my property. Shooting into the back of a 100 feet tall hill with no neighbors so it is very safe. Looking for advice on shooting distances and steel targets to get after my "tree stump" is shot away. I plan to saw the stump to the ground and use it for a base, 3 feet around. Before we just went out and shot, no actual measured distances. Will be shooting 9mm and .45, and 38 Special revolvers. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Congrats on having the ability to create your own range.

For distances, I would just find a way to mark certain distances, probably 7, 10, 15, 25, 50 yards for pistol.

Lots of great targets out there, I would probably look for steel ones that you don't have to manually reset after each shot (like a pepper popper). Dueling trees are always fun.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Agree that dueling trees are a hoot, yet it's important to measure the distances in...paces. :image035:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Congrats on carving out a shooting range. I love being able to walk out my door and be at the range in about 2 minutes :smile: No range fees, no shooters with less than safe practices to put up with...my range,my rules :smile: The only proper distances I actually marked off were 3,5,7,10 yds. Can only reach about 75 yards, which works fine for the AR. I am in the process of expanding the shooting area,,making it wider so that one area I can use just for paper targets and the other for steel targets. Now that I have begun to do reloading it's great to be able to go outside and test out 5 or 10 rounds of a particular load. Congrats again,,,you'll love the convenience.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
1st Congrats on having your own range!

I've had mine for about 8 years now, and it's still a work in progress.Literally every year I make an improvement, whether it's additional targets
or another target berm for long distance, more gravel etc.

As for advice:

Steel, don't go cheap, get AR500 even if it takes you a while. The majority of my steel is AR500 (I only have one piece of AR400) and it has lasted well. This is a safety thing because IF your steel gets dimpled and cratered you'll get more splash back and potential bounce back even. Mount your targets with a backward angle to aim the fragments downward, if possible allow for movement that will save wear and tear on your plates. Only get steel that allows for flipping around every year. Over time your plates will begin to warp, so I flip mine annually. Avoid steel with welds, as the heat softens the surrounding metal. I have some of my plates mounted on chains, some on springs and others just hang with room to move when hit. The majority of my targets reside in a small garage shed, a few I leave out as I occasionally like to shoot off my back deck (400meters).

Target stands: I prefer portable stands that can be moved to change up my CoFs. I predominately practice defensive drills etc. so the ability to mix stuff up is important.

Of course eye/ear protection, depending on distance you will get hit with fragments.

Distances: My primary range is a graveled in area about 30x30 yards. For pistol I mark 5-7-10-15-25 yards. That back-stop also serves as the backstop for 100-400 meter targets and my bench sits at 200+ meters from the berm. I also have berms that allow me to go out to 650 yards, and just started work on a berm that will allow me to go to just shy of 800. That's about the most I can get and still have the rounds impact on my property.

Layout: 180 firing would be awesome, but I just can't get there with my land. Try to allow for enough room for lateral and movement in depth. If you reload, gravel is great for finding your brass, also nivce wfor working movement.

Pictures tell a better story:

Bench with concrete slab for position shooting; range from 50-300 meters:

Pistol Range/Impact area with target berms on hill:

Pistol range (good friend of mine running drills) (Bowling pins are also 3/8ths AR500):

AR500 Bowling pins with welded racks:

8" plates arranged in a staggered "El Presidente":

Same Drill 2/3rds IDPA Silhouettes:

Typical layout when I have folks out to shoot:

Work in progress, 792 yards will place the rest of the fill this weekend. The structure/fill is to see the splash, the target berm actually sits in front of another hill, and the firing point is up hill from there. I use light lyme dust to be able to see the misses:

Chuck

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips and great ideas. I need to get me a pond Chuck...lol. Lots of work to do next spring. The goal for now was just a place to shoot before winter comes.

·
Super Moderator
24,657 Posts
Last Stand

This system is what I use for my steels. The system is lightweight, easily movable, inexpensive, safe, and designed by a friend of a friend.

I'll add the link for my steels in a moment........

Here it is:

Shooting Targets 7

They had the lowest prices around, good coupons, and free shipping if you spent over $99.

Have fun, and good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree that dueling trees are a hoot, yet it's important to measure the distances in...paces. :image035:
Because any self defense shooting will take place at specific measured distances... :)

It's really not that hard to place targets then back off to specific distances, pacing or otherwise. If you're competing at specified distances, or sighting in at a known distance, mark them out. Otherwise, close approximations are usually fine.

Also keep in mind that thousands of free targets with simple stands will be available along the roadside next Wednesday. :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
What ranges will you shoot at when hunting, competing or for self defense? Those are the ones you need to practice at and those are the distances you should mark off.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts