Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question, why is it that the news is not talking about finding a great number of homeless dead .

With the nightly updates on about the deaths blamed on the C-19 in each state .

I would think the homeless would be a very high risk at catching the C-19 and the authorities would be finding a great amount of dead homeless all around the city's .

·
Registered
487 Posts
A question, why is it that the news is not talking about finding a great number of homeless dead .

With the nightly updates on about the deaths blamed on the C-19 in each state .

I would think the homeless would be a very high risk at catching the C-19 and the authorities would be finding a great amount of dead homeless all around the city's .
There are several types of homeless.
There are the people who are homeless by lifestyle choice - the new "young" homeless of Denver, San Francisco, and Seattle. They have no problems with going to the hospital.
There are homeless who are that way because of substance abuse. They often have enough moments of being sober that they can go to the nearest ER.
Then finally there are homeless who are there because of mental illness primarily (although it often coexists with substance abuse). Some of them make it to the hospitals because they feel sick or look sick, and some don't.

For the most part, however, the homeless know how to get help if they want - the ERs are open to them.
The people who die in silence are the elderly without family support, they just die in their homes.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I’ve also been wondering why it doesn’t affect the other 74 genders.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I swear I think the town drunk is the healthiest guy in town. He either walks or rides a bike up town every day no matter what the weather is like. I quit trying to figure him out or where he gets whatever it takes to get him by. Sometimes he looks really bad but he always makes it up and down the street as far as I know.

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
I swear I think the town drunk is the healthiest guy in town. He either walks or rides a bike up town every day no matter what the weather is like. I quit trying to figure him out or where he gets whatever it takes to get him by. Sometimes he looks really bad but he always makes it up and down the street as far as I know.
It's not that hard.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Good question flh, I wondered the same thing too.
Even though the ER's are open to anyone, most people who live on the streets and in homeless camps won't go. It's hard to get them to go to shelters in below zero weather.
Even if a few do get sick and seek help, why hasn't the virus spread like wildfire through the camp? Why aren't there dead bodies? It's very odd given how easily we're told this is spread.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
There are several types of homeless.
There are the people who are homeless by lifestyle choice - the new "young" homeless of Denver, San Francisco, and Seattle. They have no problems with going to the hospital.
There are homeless who are that way because of substance abuse. They often have enough moments of being sober that they can go to the nearest ER.
Then finally there are homeless who are there because of mental illness primarily (although it often coexists with substance abuse). Some of them make it to the hospitals because they feel sick or look sick, and some don't.

For the most part, however, the homeless know how to get help if they want - the ERs are open to them.
The people who die in silence are the elderly without family support, they just die in their homes.

Thanks, Gnius, for such a cogent and knowledgeable post.

With my work as a civilian volunteer, coordinated by our local police (when we're not locked down) I interact w "homeless" on a routine basis. I worry about the women and kids the most, and I see drug addiction, mental illness, dudes on the lamb from the law, and broken dreams (and the intersection of all these too).

As you suggest, most or all seem to know how to access services quite well, and so many feel quite entitled.

I also agree that it's the elderly, the folks that built this great Country, that are at such a risk from the virus and such a risk from the fact that they believe can defeat the bug by themselves or that don't want to impose.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Gnius, for such a cogent and knowledgeable post.

With my work as a civilian volunteer, coordinated by our local police (when we're not locked down) I interact w "homeless" on a routine basis. I worry about the women and kids the most, and I see drug addiction, mental illness, dudes on the lamb from the law, and broken dreams (and the intersection of all these too).

As you suggest, most or all seem to know how to access services quite well, and so many feel quite entitled.

I also agree that it's the elderly, the folks that built this great Country, that are at such a risk from the virus and such a risk from the fact that they believe can defeat the bug by themselves or that don't want to impose.

@gnius

Are the homeless you have contact with aware of the C-19 is this something they are worried about etc.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My experience with the homeless showed that they are very resourceful they survive on the streets for crying out loud!!! The homeless I interacted with had no problem going to an ER for services or getting locked up for the winter months to have a warm place to sleep until the weather got better.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My experience with the homeless showed that they are very resourceful they survive on the streets for crying out loud!!! The homeless I interacted with had no problem going to an ER for services or getting locked up for the winter months to have a warm place to sleep until the weather got better.
Agreed they are resourceful, but it does not make them invincible, the media is continually telling everyone that turns on a tv or radio how dangerous/deadly the C-19 is , but yet no reports of mass deaths in homeless camps, or suddenly a group of homeless showing up at the local hospitals for testing for C-19

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
@gnius

Are the homeless you have contact with aware of the C-19 is this something they are worried about etc.
I do not know, good question though. We have stood down for over 6 weeks now, and the best that I can add is that I see fewer of them when I happen to drive by their hangouts (near the free food).

Reactions: flh

·
Super Moderator
19,222 Posts
Even though the ER's are open to anyone, most people who live on the streets and in homeless camps won't go. It's hard to get them to go to shelters in below zero weather.
Even if a few do get sick and seek help, why hasn't the virus spread like wildfire through the camp? Why aren't there dead bodies? It's very odd given how easily we're told this is spread.
Maybe because they've been exposed to so much filth and sickness already, they have better overall immunity?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Maybe because they've been exposed to so much filth and sickness already, they have better overall immunity?
This may have some merit! When I worked in the jail I was exposed to everything out there. And very rarely got sick. It's like being a grade school teacher, They get exposed to everything going around! You become immune to everything!DR

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
IMO homeless people are not a big enough story and it does not add up to big buck because you can't get a big byline by writing about the homeless.
I would disagree with that. The liberal media loves bleeding heart stories and homelessness has long been a favorite topic of the left. That's the stuff that wins Pulitzer Prizes.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
They probably are better at social distancing then the rest of the population.

·
Registered
487 Posts
@gnius

When I did my training in NYC I interacted with the homeless extensively. But at my current job I have relatively little interaction with them, so honestly I can't answer that question knowledgeably.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts