Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is in a performing arts high school, and showed me how she's making exact fit mannequins for costume design.

This could be an easy and inexpensive way to make 3D targets that are based on various sized people, if you have some friends willing to get saran wrapped and duct taped for a few minutes.

Simply wrap someone in plastic wrap and duct tape, then use scissors to cut off the form. Tape up the cut line and fill with stuffing. A 2x4 would make a sufficient stand, or run a wire or rope across inside the shoulders to hang it up. Drape it with a tshirt, and shoot away. Patch holes with more duct tape as needed.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
There was a club member that brought such a target to the range. There were many shooters the did not like the idea. I stayed neutral in the discussion. I have not seen this guy since
The general opinion was that it made him look like a woman hater.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Most public ranges don't allow mannequins' Some don't allow B-2 targets. Good thing for private land ; ) PS Great way to make 3D targets
H/D

·
Administrator
143,366 Posts
There is a similar technique for making form fitting deer or moose skin moccasins.

Putting a tight fitting nylon stocking on each foot and covering with duct tape - cutting that tape off in a certain way.

Then making allowances for the stitching areas and adding a leather sole.

There are a few YouTube instructions on the method.

Slightly off topic post here but, some member may find it worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I don’t recommend creating drama at a public range; many prohibit targets that look like people.

But for people who have private ranges it may be interesting, and for instructors who want to show how shooting angles penetrate vitals, or for blade training, it may be helpful.

Thinking further it could also be a good way to cover a reactive steel target or confetti filled balloons for shoot house training.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a club member that brought such a target to the range. There were many shooters the did not like the idea. I stayed neutral in the discussion. I have not seen this guy since
The general opinion was that it made him look like a woman hater.
My thought is to make 3D targets that are man sized, not regular mannequins that are used for dress making or women’s clothing displays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts