Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever we go waterskiing I always use a fannypack for my wallet, keys and other stuff that would normally go in my pockets. I was looking at buying a holstered fannypack but just didn't want to spend the dollars for it because it only gets used when boating. I would not wear a fannypack any other time.

So I stopped by Wall Mart and bought a fannypack for $4.00 I then took it home and was figuring how I could design it for good safe use to carry my Glock 27.

The Fannypack had three compartments, a small one in front for wallet and change. Large one in center and another small one in back.

I took my Fobus Roto Paddle holster for my G27 and took it apart with the one phillips screw through the back of it. I then decided how I wanted the holster to sit in the fannypack and punched a hole from the back chamber to the center chamber of the pack. I just put the paddle portion in the rear small chamber and the holster portion in the center chamber and screwed them together.

I now have a great little fannypack holster that holds the gun safer and sturdier than any I could buy. I have attached pictures to share with you all what I am pretty proud of. We went skiing today and it worked perfectly.... A+++ on this one. And the best part is the Fobus Holster is still good for use as intended.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Great job Rugerman. For $4.00 you can't go wrong. Thanks for sharing your idea and the pics.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
''Necessity is the mother of invention'' - and goes to show what we can often do really quite simply.

Even better then is when it works - good result for you by looks of it :smilez:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Very cool...

But, in some situations, nothing screams "I'm carrying a gun" louder than a fanny pack (unless you in a retirement community)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Weeg said:
Very cool...

But, in some situations, nothing screams "I'm carrying a gun" louder than a fanny pack (unless you in a retirement community)

That and (abusement) parks where fanny packs are seen a lot also as wallets or anything else in a pocket can be lost on certain rides.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weeg said:
Very cool...

Yes I know Like I said I will only use it when we go water skiing. Otherwise I don't much care for fannypacks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Having only carried for a few months now, I was wondering what I would do when I took the "adopted grandkids" down to the ol' swimming hole. We go to a local creek, which although it runs along a country road, when you get down the banks & around the bend, it's kinda remote.

Last year as we floated downstream on inner tubes, thinking we had the whole place to ourselves, we suddenly came upon a 20-something man standing near the bank. Turns out he was hunting crayfish. Innocent enough, but it gave me a little scare and made me realize how vulnerable I was in the waist-deep water with 2 young children.

This year, I planned on being armed, but wasn't sure about actually taking the revolver in the water. But Rugerman, if you actually go waterskiing with your firearm, I'm assuming it gets pretty wet. So I'd be OK? Any special preparation or post-immersion rituals, besides wiping it down?

BTW - great idea about securing the holster inside the fanny pack. I use a fanny pack - on a woman, it draws less attention than on a man; at least around here, it's not that unusual to see a woman wearing one for everyday use. I just shift it slightly onto my left hip to accomodate the weight, and wear a vest, blazer, or open shirt over my T-shirt or blouse. But I'm not perfectly happy with the way my snubbie sits in the pack. Adding a holster in the way you describe may give me the precise placement I want. Thanks for the idea!

LibertyGal

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Great idea. Looks like it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I feel sorry (not really) for the idiot that decides he wants to assault the "Guy with the fanny pack"!!

In the words of Gomer Pyle,..: surprise, Surprise ,..SURPRISE.

Looks great!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LibertyGal,

I don't actually waterski with the pack on. I leave it in the boat when actually skiing. I don't think it would keep the water out. The fact is usually when I go skiing there is nowhere to conceal a handgun. They do make some waterproof packs though that you could modify, or you could put the gun in a ziplock baggie. Makes the draw slow but better than not being armed at all.

Good Luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rugerman said:
...or you could put the gun in a ziplock baggie. Makes the draw slow but better than not being armed at all.
Great idea! In fact, I have one of those food sealers (heat-seals), so maybe I will put it in a lighter-weight plastic bag, seal it, then put it in a nylon fannypack. If the plastic bag is lightweight & oversize enough to allow manipulation of the trigger, then if necessary, I can just pull it out & shoot it right through the bag (I carry a revo, so no slide to catch on the plastic). I'll have to give it a trial run before we go tubing!!

Thanks

LibertyGal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for sharing this link and showing off your handywork/invention. That's a great idea. I already have the exact fanny pack from WallyWorld now I guess I just need the holster.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
Looks Like It'll Work...

If you like it and it does the job, that's all that matters...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:comeandgetsome:

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Now why didn't I think of that? :scratchchin:

Thanks for sharing this idea!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
LibertyGal, about the only time you really have to worry about keeping your powder dry is if you shoot black powder guns.

Most , if not all current ammo will not be effected by water getting in. because using factry ammo the seal should be water tight. If you are worried about water you can designate certain ammo to use for swimming, put a light coat of clear polish over the primer and around the end of the case next to the bullet.

I cary while fishing and swimming, the gun gets wet from time to time, dry it off real good when you get home , then let it air dry and relube. If you do this after each outing swimming things should be ok.

If you have more then one gun, whynot designate one for those outings that the gun may get wet. use anothergun for daily carry that way you will always have a gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts