Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yep, I got out the kydex and tools and made my first kydex holster. added belt loops and chicago screws. I was amazed how easily it went together and molded to my gun/and side. Unfortunately, I do not have a dig. camera working to show you all. Next I think I will be building a few sheaths for knives and maybe a spare mag holder.
there ya go, sorry about he quality, finally got the cam. to work.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Rocky,

How do you form it, do you use a dummy gun or is it gentle enough to use your actual gun?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Shucks Rocky - I got all excited at the subject line - and now - no pics BAH!! :wink:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I look forward to seeing some photos of the finished product.

Not to highjack the thread, but I made my first holster last weekend. Bought some rawhide and leather thread to make a pocket holster form my snubby. Works great and I saved $$$.

Nice work.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used my actual gun to form the holster. a heat gun is the recommended way, but I didn't have 1 so the gas range got fired up. As long as you do not over heat the kydex , I see no reason not to use the actual gun. I did mine, and it has rubber grips.
I used a set of mechanix gloves for heat protection and heated and formed the holster. finished it off with the jig saw and smoothed it with my dremel.
Took about 4 hours to get just right for me. I think if I made more I could have em done in less time, now I know the procedure. Will see if I can get some pictures.
Hagphish , sure feels nice to make stuff yourself ,huh?

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
digital cam takes the pic. but will not download from the cam.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Rocky,

:congrats: :hand10: :35:

One more question, Where did you get the material, specifically the Kydex.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Oh yeah,

I almost forgot, Does that come with a 30 day satisfaction guarntee.
:haha: :rofl:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hey Rocky that rig looks pretty good. Congrats on a great job!!Have you worn it yet??

·
Registered
521 Posts
Interesting work.
would love to see pics.
have read about making/forming the kydex somewhere adn it seemed pretty straightforward. just gotta be willing to try obviously.

am curious to see how ya like its comfort.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rocky,
I love the DIY route. I ended up spending 30 bucks on leather (about 5ft X 2ft). Now I have enough to make ten holsters if need be. Your finished product looks very nice. It looks as if it conceals very well as the overall shape looks nothing like a 1911 frame. Again, nice job. Hopefully I will get around to posting a couple photos of mine soon. I have been struggling to find a holster that conceals well and is comfortable. The pocket holster I wanted costs $69.99, but I was able to make one that fit my needs even better for super cheap.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
los said:
Hey Rocky that rig looks pretty good. Congrats on a great job!!Have you worn it yet??
I have worn it 2 days now. seems fairly comfortable , although I think I will add a small piece of cloth material to the bottom inside edge. It kind of rides on my hip bone . All in all I am very pleased with how it turned out and works.
As for the 30 day guarantee , ask me in 29 more days.
http://www.knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_sheath_main.htm~smain

here is where I ordered the kit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good job, bro. And my guess is.. now that you've done one, you'll want to try again. Perfection, ya know..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts