Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In MI. I have a question about the other states in which I am licensed.
I have been to packing.org and studied the map. My question is the difference between a state that "honors" my license and on that has "reciprocity" with Michigan?
These seems like redundant terms to me, can someone explain the differences?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If I don't get confused.... a state that honors your license means that you can carry when you are there. Your home state license is valid there.
A state that has reciprocity means the above (you can carry there) and residents of that state can carry in your state.
Honors = accepts the legality of your license,
Reciprocity = that state and your state recognize each others licenses.

Now, if nobody says "wrong, dummy" then that's it!

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
That's it!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey!!!!

...now that makes sense. I think I even understand it.
that is why I post here, and read here. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Reciprocity/Honor

From Merriam Webster's Online Thesaurus:

Entry Word: honor

Function: verb

Text: to show appreciation, respect, or affection for (someone) with a public celebration <the newlyweds were honored with a dinner given by the bride's grandmother>

Synonyms: fete (or fête), recognize

Related Words: acknowledge, cite, commend, compliment, credit, thank; extol (also extoll), glorify, laud, praise; acclaim, applaud, cheer, hail, salute; celebrate, commemorate, memorialize, observe; congratulate, felicitate

reciprocity

Function: noun

1 : the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence
2 : a mutual exchange of privileges; specifically : a recognition by one of two countries or institutions of the validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other

I'm not a lawyer by any means, but according to Merriam Webster, they SEEM to be interchangable in your case. Best advice is contact the State DA for clarification (a maybe) or go by the reciprocity list (what I would do) and carry accordingly.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
It is mainly a matter of "process"

Where I live (Missouri) we HONOR any other state’s (or political subdivision of) permits, no questions asked, you got a permit, it is good here. Reciprocity requires a formal agreement between states, usually handled by the state’s Attorneys General and usually involves making sure the other state’s requirements are similar as to training, background checks etc. and is subject to cancellation if conditions change.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Excellent info - makes total sense too.

Of course, reciprocity would be never needed if all states honored all others - but then - hogs might learn to fly! :wink:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
David that is about the simplest and best description that I have seen . Great job :congrats:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts