Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Hoppes #9 for a long time on my USP , I was looking at an earlier thread and it reminded me of a conversation
I had I told my friend what I use to clean my gun and they asked if I used Hoppes oil to protect the barrel after cleaning, I told them I run a patch with #9 thru it and thats all I've ever done to protect the barrel and don't use the oil for that.
Does anyone think I would be better served by using the oil instead to protect the barrel??

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I've used Hoppes #9 for a long time on my USP , I was looking at an earlier thread and it reminded me of a conversation I had I told my friend what I use to clean my gun and they asked if I used Hoppes oil to protect the barrel after cleaning, I told them I run a path with #9 thru it and thats all I've ever done to protect the barrel and don't use the oil for that. Does anyone think I would be better served by using the oil instead to protect the barrel??
You know..............I used Hoppes #9 and CLP religiously for years. I've found something better, and a one does all cleaner/preservative/rust prevent. Gunzilla.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
no #9 will work just as good. i have done both ways with my guns and have found out that #9 works just as good as oil inisde the barrel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use hoppes to clean the whole gun including the inside of the barrel, than I use break-free lub and coat the inside of the barrel with that using cleaning patches. Before going to the range I than run a few dry patches through the barrel.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
CLP... if its good enough for full auto firearms its good enough for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use #9 on all barrels and most frames and CLP on Tupperware frames.

If I am going to store a gun for a long time, I run a patch coated with light oil down the barrel and put a barrel pug in it, just to remind me to remove the oil before I shoot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hoppes #9, CLP, touch of grease (cant remember the name without digging out my cleaning box), and a silicone cloth to coat the slide and parts of the frame except for the grip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For the first few years I used Hoppes strictly #9 for cleaning and lubrication. Lately I've been dabbling in other products like Break Free, mostly because my wife hates the smell of the Hoppes. (Smell? What smell? That's the smell of Victory!) All the ones mentioned earlier will perform roughly the same when put against one another.

Of course, subjectivity will, in the end, determine one's personal favorite. You're not going to make a mistake by using any of the cleaners/lubricants/preservers listed above. Unless shooting competitions is the way you make your living, you're probably not going to see the difference on your paper target, no matter what you use.

Then again, some folks like to have that kind of setup. They almost hate to get their firearms dirty because it looks so pretty. Don't get me wrong: looks definitely has its place in deciding which oil you're going to use. I love a handsome 1911 or 9mm or .40 cal. But to me, the biggest reasons for getting/keeping a gun clean is for safety and for giving your weapon the best chance to last a generation or two without having to replace every part.

I've heard the line that Hoppes #9 will erode the barrel if left on for a long period of time. That's just not right. My own early experience can attest to that. I've never been able to wear out a barrel by cleaning it. Plus, oils have come a long way since I started shooting that probably allows the owner to clean less frequently, but I don't like the sound of that at all. Personally, I'd be very embarrassed if one of my shooting buddies came across one of my pistols, and I hadn't cleaned it. The first lesson we learned in Basic was to keep your weapon clean. They speak from experience too. Even at Sniper School at Pendleton, or should I say especially at Sniper School, a clean weapon meant one could reliably produce 2 inch groupings at 800 yards; a fouled weapon, not so much. To a sniper, that's the difference between pass or fail.

Anyway, I digress. Clean your weapon the best you can with a good quality oil. Anything you don't know how to do, or you're not sure whether or not to clean it, this forum is a great pool of knowledge for those who seek it. More like an ocean.

Happy new year, everybody!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Gunzilla does it all......

·
Registered
261 Posts
Over the last 50 years I have used a lot of bottles of Hoppes #9 and I still have some. Breakfree came on the scene and I started using some of both Now that I have tried Gunsilla, well it is the absolute best I've ever used period. I will use the Hoppes as an aftershave before going to gun shows and the like.:image035:

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I have use Hoppes #9 for nearly half a century and have never been disappointed. Currently I'm using something else I got from somebody, don't remember who or why, that is also good, but #9 is still my favorite cologne.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Over the last 50 years I have used a lot of bottles of Hoppes #9 and I still have some. Breakfree came on the scene and I started using some of both Now that I have tried Gunsilla, well it is the absolute best I've ever used period. I will use the Hoppes as an aftershave before going to gun shows and the like.:image035:
I likewise have used Hoppes #9 for over 50 years. There is something nostalgic about using it -- something like "I love the smell of Hoppes in the morning." That being said, my guns have not suffered from lack of use of the more modern cleaners.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 on my rifles and revolves. I just scrub the barrels of my Semi-autos with a brass brush in Hot water and dish washing soap - blow them out and relube. I clean the rest of the gun with a spray cleaner and then relube.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know folks that use Hoppes #9 for cologne, so I'm sure it's just fine as the last patch through the barrell instead of oil :hand10:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
There is something nostalgic about using it
If that's the reason for using Hoppes when there is something much better..then do you still shoot only muskets???

I used to go to the Show show every year and stock up on gun cleaners..cuz they were free and I was taught that any product made for cleaning firearms work well enough..

I know better.. I know Hoppes does not clean as well as gunzilla..I also know it made with mostly hydrocarbons..read Kerosene & Ethyl Alcohol.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I havn't used or purchased any gunzilla......yet. But when I use up my current supply of Hopps I'll get some and try it. Right now I've got a 'surplus' of hopps and CLP.

Hopps #9 has worked for me for many, many moons.

·
Registered
835 Posts
cwblanco wrote: There is something nostalgic about using it.
If that's the reason for using Hoppes when there is something much better..then do you still shoot only muskets???
I shoot black powder rifles. Does that count? As to your comparisons, I would venture to say that during my lifetime my firearems most likely are as clean as yours and will perform as well, even though I did not use Godzilla. However, wait until they come out with versions #2, #3, and #4. You will find that you can only get it so clean to a degree. After that you can use a file and began cutting into metal.

While there may be better products, I like to make a comparison to quality knives. You can always find a better and more expensive knife, but mine will still cut as well, and I will be long gone before they wear out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts