Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an article in a magazine about this ammo and before I spend the 25 bucks on the box, I wanted to know if anyone has tried this ammo and how did you like it. I carry a SA XD9SC with Winchester XTP hollowpoints. My gun eats pretty muchanything so im not too concerned about that, I am more concerned with the quality of Hornady itself. Thanks and merry Christmas and Happy holidays to those who dont celebrate Christmas.
Mike:santaclaus::santaclaus::wave:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hornady quality is fine. New ammo from any manufacturer does not have a track record of shootings [success or failures].

It should be good, but until it has been on the market and used, who knows.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yep, I've always thought Hornady made a quality product. I've read a few articles lately as well. When you look at the tables and read the fine print on the test conditions and so on, it seems like you are getting decent velocity and penetration. They claim to have clean burning powder and less muzzle flash as well. I think I will pick up a box of .38 special +P next month and give it a go.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I've fired this round from both my wife's LCP and from my G26.

I like it. I also like the concept of expanding bullets with no hollow cavity that can get plugged, crushed, or wrapped by clothing fibers. I also use Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket - the 124 gr 9mm version.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I shot .380 out of a Kel-Tec also 9mm out of a Kel-Tec PF-9. It shot well and good on the target. I use it as my carry ammo.

Do a seach here, there are some threads on it. Also check out you tube where you can see it been tested.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have the CD in 380, 9 mm, and 38+P as I was impressed by the performance testing. I haven't had to shoot anyone yet, so I don't know how it will really work. But all of the testing and comparisons show that if I ever do need to shoot, I should not have to worry too much about the bullet expansion. They also have come out with a 357 and 45 ACP round. I obviously like the concept, but have no qualms with Gold Dots or Hydra Shocks either. The nice thing about the CD is that you can use the same round all year long. There is no need to adjust for heavier clothing, etc.

Armydad

·
Registered
227 Posts
Another user of Critical Defense. It's what I carry in my .380.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the Hornady .45 ACP (90900) loaded in my XD right now. Great firing ammo and very nice placement. Got a great deal from my local gun shop. Got 4 boxes for $74.00. I have never had any issues with Hornady. I use their ammo in my hunting rifle as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I saw an article in a magazine about this ammo and before I spend the 25 bucks on the box, I wanted to know if anyone has tried this ammo and how did you like it. I carry a SA XD9SC with Winchester XTP hollowpoints. My gun eats pretty muchanything so im not too concerned about that, I am more concerned with the quality of Hornady itself. Thanks and merry Christmas and Happy holidays to those who dont celebrate Christmas.
Mike:santaclaus::santaclaus::wave:
i have the same gun XD9sc and so does my friend and we both carry the hornaday and no problems at all.......

we also carry it 380 in our lcp no problems at all

·
Registered
446 Posts
Great info! Does anyone know they velocity they're getting with it out of the XD9sc? Just a curiosity.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just picked some up as well as a desantis speed scabbard OWB. 83$ out the door. Gotta get used to OWB carry though. feels top heavy. Im not too sure if I like it but Ill give it a go for a week or so. :bier:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good, Major99. Range report requested. Let us know how they shoot.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I use Critical Defense out of my Bersa Thunder CC (.380). The shape of the bullet makes it easier to feed, and hasn't failed on a Horandy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've fired more than 200 rounds of 115gr (from 3 different lots) in a Glock 19 (and 50 rounds of 38 from a S&W M10.) No FTF or FTE with the G19, it went bang every time on the first trigger pull.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I just picked up a box of CD in 9mm and 38+P. Haven't fired any yet. My local gun shop has fired both into phonebooks as an informal test and says it performs as intended. Great penetration and expansion according to him. His observations were in small 9mm, the lighter and shorter projectile cycle easier. He's pretty sharp on that stuff and I trust his informal observations. My experience with other Hornady products has been great. I'll let you know when I test it. myself.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I trust it, and I use it when I can get it for my LCP and my XD9sc.

My two "go-to" ammo is Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dots.

There are a few others I trust, but I have had really exceptional performance out of those two as far as accuracy and everything else is considered.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts