Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the range Tues I picked up a loaded round with a black case, and brass colored primer. It is a Hornady +P HP factory round. The case is not steel.

I have not seen the new TAP or other rounds, and wonder what this one is?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
much of the horniday stuff I buy is brass.

probably a factory XTP HP or older TAP

either way that brass is good stuff!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hornady TAP is brass
Old Hornady TAP FPD is black coated nickle
New Hornady TAP FPD is shiny nickle

Was it .45acp? That's the only caliber +P I've ever seen in old TAP FPD.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hornady TAP is brass
Old Hornady TAP FPD is black coated nickle
New Hornady TAP FPD is shiny nickle

Was it .45acp? That's the only caliber +P I've ever seen in old TAP FPD.
All the cases are brass. The shiny and black nickel are just platings. Scratch any of them and you'll find a plain, ol' brass case underneath.

The various nickel coatings are more marketing than anything else - they look "pretty". The manufacturers claim the coating(s) aid in feeding and extraction, but I've never read anything that supports this contention. Quality uncoated cases feed and extract just like the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
All the cases are brass. The shiny and black nickel are just platings. Scratch any of them and you'll find a plain, ol' brass case underneath.

The various nickel coatings are more marketing than anything else - they look "pretty". The manufacturers claim the coating(s) aid in feeding and extraction, but I've never read anything that supports this contention. Quality uncoated cases feed and extract just like the fancy stuff.
Hornady describes the case as nickle. That's what mine look like.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Product Line :: TAP® FPD™

Whether or not they feed better, I don't know. I've yet to have any TAP, brass, black or silver fail to feed.

FWIW; Hornady dropped the black case and switched to silver to facilitate a quick press-check. The black was hard to see in low light.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, and although I figured the case was brass I wondered what the round was. Evidently it is old TAP.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hornady describes the case as nickle. That's what mine look like.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Product Line :: TAP® FPD™

Whether or not they feed better, I don't know. I've yet to have any TAP, brass, black or silver fail to feed.

FWIW; Hornady dropped the black case and switched to silver to facilitate a quick press-check. The black was hard to see in low light.
They are nickel plated. Nickel itself is not suitable for cartridge cases, it is far too soft. Don't take my word for it; take a file or emory paper to the case and tell me what you find underneath. :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts