Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are times I have been forced to leave a handgun in my car when out and about (Post office, hospital, school, etc) but I never felt comfortable putting it in the console and locking the door. I picked up a Hornady Shackle Box (here is a link although I got mine from Amazon for $39 delivered)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...ox-steel-black

Although I have no previous experience with any of the many competitors for these products I picked the Hornady model because 1) it has 16 gauge steel construction vs 18 or 20; 2) the 3 point locking points vs 1 or 2, and 3) the shackle is much stronger than the braided cables that come with many of the models but I still have the option to lock it via a braided cable if there is someplace the shackle system won't fit i.e. to the post under the car seat or somewhere in a motel room or my home. Seemed to be the best of both possibilities. So far, I'm impressed with what I got for the money and it should give some peace of mind realizing if someone really wants into one of these boxes, they can make it happen.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
871 Posts
tahmail - the link is no longer working. Can you please give a good link? Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
i use a hornady lock box in my truck, but i bolted it down right on the floor. easy access for me, and provides a semi secure place to place my pistol when i am someplace that i should not carry into... like work.
gun is behind two different keyed locks and hidden from general viewing.
not perfect but if nothing else the perp has to work at it a bit longer.

edit: and company parking is behind a security fence with badge pass only, with plenty of video cams all over the place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this is a very wise investment. Even if your glove box locks, criminals still think to try and open it. They are also more likely to know how to get in.

If you can bolt this down underneath a seat, that would be ideal. That way they would have a hard time picking the lock... though it would be hard for you to open it with the key. But you shouldn't need quick access to your gun if you are visiting a hospital, school, etc. If that is a concern, I don't think that this product is going to help.

Unless it is a personal protection box, nothing really opens fast enough to be effective for self-defense. Add on to that time, what it takes to access the box itself. Forget about it. You may as well focus on security rather than ease of access.

And if you can't bolt the box down, a chain should be fine. Most people don't break into cars with bolt cutters ready. But if your lock box is not hidden, some industrious thief might come back with a pair.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Security-ArmLock-Box-Black/dp/B00I8FQ7V0

I understand Hornady is (or has) discontinuing them but is still offering the lock box with the 3 point lock system also shown on this link. Midway may have run out of them since they can no longer get them.
As above, use the shackle or a chain or cable to anchor it. Not fool proof but will slow a thief down or send them elsewhere.
Sorry I can't edit the OP - this one edits fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts