Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES...The Cartridge Cases REALLY ARE JET BLACK (Black Nickel)
Has anybody shot this stuff yet? The 12 gauge stuff sounds extra nice AND the .45 looks (to me) like it would be real great with its "way reduced" muzzle flash

TAP Personal Defense Ammunition - Click Here

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Still in the stage of ''just recently heard of this''. Long ways to go yet before I want to try it - unless of course anyone wants to donate some for ''test'' !

As ever - more than interested in any new offerings.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Gun Show this weekend and this is my FIRST purchase of the day!

QKShooter said:
YES...The Cartridge Cases REALLY ARE JET BLACK (Black Nickel)
Has anybody shot this stuff yet? The 12 gauge stuff sounds extra nice AND the .45 looks (to me) like it would be real great with its "way reduced" muzzle flash

TAP Personal Defense Ammunition - Click Here

This looks too good to be true, so I'm buying a couple of boxes: One to shoot to see where the .40 S&W prints from my M27 Glock and the rest to fill mags for my trip on Tuesday next week. If it works in the 40, I'm certainly going to pick up some in .45 and .308.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I liked the 308 version. I use only their bullets in my rifle handloads, but did notice this factory round had alot lower flash from my rifle. Have not tried any of the pistol rounds since they I'm pretty sure they are loaded with the XTP bullet. It is a fine hunting bullet but there has been some testing that showed poor expansion and over penetration in a personal defense pistol round. Would like to see some more testing on this. I do use them in reloads as a backup personal defense round (for max penetration against harder targets), but think I will stick with the Golden Saber as a primary load to carry daily.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Uh oh. It's black. Deadly dangerous black. With shiny bullets. Could that be an armor-piercing tip on that assault weapon round? It looks sinister. It looks like....evil assault ammunition. They say the coating is for lubrication, to make operation smoother. We've heard that before. And who's to say this is REALLY used for so-called "personal defense"? And what does "TAP" mean? People are being exposed to this ammunition at gun shows, as if it were just ammunition. Right now, this very instant, there are people out there with BOXES of this stuff - so dangerous that people fall over from just looking at it. And they are going to shoot it. And what happens then? It will be the wild west, all over again. Blood in the streets. Dogs lying down with goats. Oh, the humanity! People are dying every day this ammunition is being sold. How long before we come to our senses and ban it? For the children.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom.......

Oh...That's Right!
Evil Black Bullets.
Ammunition of SATAN! :eek:
666 bullets.

Why couldn't they have made them POWDER BLUE??? Doggoneit.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Why couldn't they have made them POWDER BLUE??? Doggoneit.
No way - QK (hey, that rhymes!!)

If that had been chosen color it would have been seen as UN color!! Couldn't have that could we - in this PC world we inhabit?!! :eek: :wink:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Hornady XTP

ghost10750 said:
Have not tried any of the pistol rounds since they I'm pretty sure they are loaded with the XTP bullet. It is a fine hunting bullet but there has been some testing that showed poor expansion and over penetration in a personal defense pistol round. Would like to see some more testing on this. I do use them in reloads as a backup personal defense round (for max penetration against harder targets), but think I will stick with the Golden Saber as a primary load to carry daily.
That's interesting, I have heard nothing but PRAISE for the XTP as a self defense round. I bought like 500 of them in 45ACP but then, even military hard ball will do well there. Well, I'm gonna keep 'em anyway. LOL

·
Registered
742 Posts
Guys, remember...black talon...its all about marketing...not about best ammo for personal self defense. That does not mean that it is not excellent ammo. Time will tell.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It's All in the Name

KC135 said:
Guys, remember...black talon...its all about marketing...not about best ammo for personal self defense. That does not mean that it is not excellent ammo. Time will tell.
It IS excellent ammo, almost too good. I have an expended round that was fired into a soaked phone book and resulted in perfect expansion. A total "star" pattern with those nasty little points the surgeons were complaining sliced through their latex gloves while removing said bullets from bad guys corpses. The resulting media blitz had the effect of turning the brilliant ad campaign into a ummmmm"dead weight" around Winchester's neck and so they voluntarily withdrew the product from the market. It may have returned as the Ranger SXT but because of the negative press surrounding "Black Talon" I would NEVER carry it on the street. I just don't want to give anything to the media or antigun prosecutors to chew on.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Kill phone book

Well..if I ever have to kill a phone book.....

Look, not knocking the ammo. Look at it this way, I would rather test ammo in a medium that is consistant, and is accepted in the industry.

About 20 or so years ago, I was talking to a friend, who has been testing ammo about forever. I told him my favorite 38 special load..Federals nyclad hp, opened up nicely in wet sand. His answer? You can guess.

Last, you know..hit them where they live.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black Talon

It's a doggone shame that saying BLACK TALON might as well be saying "Cop Killer Bullets" ~ Black Talon somehow morphed into EVIL AMMO...Unreal! :confused:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Love that NYCLAD!

KC135 said:
My favorite 38 special load..Federals nyclad hp, opened up nicely in wet sand.
I LOVE the Nyclad! It was great because it was the only round available in a standard pressure 38sp that would expand consistently from a snubbie. It was clean, too.

The Black Talon was a good load, but QK got my point. The very name BLACK TALON has morphed into something evil and that truly is a shame. Even in a justifiable shooting scenario, I could use RANGER SXT loads and it would probably be the same thing but if they came from the box marked Black Talon, I'm betting the LIARS I mean LAWYERS would just be drooling.

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
We would have people come into the shop and ask for "that Black Felon ammo." :eek:
Might have had something to do with the name change. :wink:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Lol

OD said:
We would have people come into the shop and ask for "that Black Felon ammo." :eek:
Might have had something to do with the name change. :wink:
LOL that's HILARIOUS! I remember a few years ago, the NAACP went ballistic over the use of the standard B-9 silouhette target because it was "black" and they felt a message was being sent. So a ton of departments switched to the GREEN silouhette target. Then the guys in the police choppers who spot for the ground patrol units started telling the cops on the ground using the new designated target type as in

"YOUR GREEN GUY JUST VAULTED THE FENCE AND IS HEADING SOUTH IN THE ALLEY...." And it all just went away but that was pretty funny, too.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hahaha - ''Black Felon'' LOL

Of course, Black Talon ammo has a ''claws'' in it to avoid anything seeming racial!! :biggrin:

I shot this evening on the blue PPC silhouette - used to be black but now, hey - we are just shootin at the UN LOL!

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Remember

The FBI Targets as being called "Black Man Targets" but, that did NOT mean Blackman Targets....as in Afro-American Male Targets.

They were actually called Black "MAN" Targets....BECAUSE the target body color was black and the silhouette outline was that of a man.

Race had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
But, I remember that the NAACP did not quite see it that way & made a little stink about it.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I wont if the Hornady Tap will suffer the same fate as black talon ..Im sure the media will manage to twist it around and create a evil round out of these too.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You guys out there that have a hankering for the .45ACP TAP----try some of Hornadys #9096. I believe that is the same thing except no black case. It shoots great in my 5" and in my Beretta Storm. It will go completely through a 215 lb. hog out of my Storm. Recoil--?-- it seems a tad hot----but that's a GOOD THING.---------

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rssz

Thanks RSSZ ~ Good addition.
Nice to hear some actual penetration results.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts