Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate enough to purchase a box of Hornandy Critical Defense Ammo 9mm in New York. My questions are:

1) What is the % stopping power?
2) Will Hornandy manufacture a .45 ACP Critical Defense round?

As it stands CD rounds are in 9mm, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum rounds.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
I don't subscribe to "stopping power." Just too many variables in the real world. In any case, this is a new round with too few real-world uses to make any conclusions. Looks good in tests, for a non - +P round (in 9mm).

Have not heard anything about a .45 version yet.

Personally, I prefer the 124 gr Federal +P EFMJ in 9mm - just try finding any!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Defense Ammo is in short supply. Incredible. The shortage continues. I am still hunting for 9mm ball at my local friendly neighborhood Walmart. At $20.97 per box of 100 that is a super deal.

What I like about Hornandy is that the Critical Defense product line claims to penetrate through Jean and leather jackets. Traditional hollow point have had issues with little expansion into these materials.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I was fortunate enough to purchase a box of Hornandy Critical Defense Ammo 9mm in New York. My questions are:

1) What is the % stopping power?
2) Will Hornandy manufacture a .45 ACP Critical Defense round?

As it stands CD rounds are in 9mm, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum rounds.

1) Unlearn the myth of stopping power. There ain't no such animal.
2) If they were, it'd probably have been released with the other calibers.

According to some tests, the .38spl CD failed spectacularly. As for the other calibers, I have no idea. IIRC, CD is also available in .380 ACP.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I have it for my .380, 9mm, .38 +P. It shoots good.
I also picked up Hornady 45 AUTO + P 230gr XTP. (Custom)
Muzzle 950 fps. 50 yds 908 fps. 100 yds 872 fps.

I did not try it yet. But it looks pretty.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense - Behold... The power of marketing.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
As of right now, the Critical Defense is not offered in .357 magnum loading. No mention of when any other loadings will be offered.

From Hornady's Website here.

The only rounds are:
Critical Defense™
380 Auto 90 gr. FTX Item No. 90080
38 Special 110 gr. FTX Item No. 90310
38 Special+P 110 gr. FTX Item No. 90311
9 mm Luger 115 gr. FTX Item No. 90250

I believe the latest to come out is the .38 Spl +P using the same grain bullet as the standard pressure .38 special.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I inquired with Hornady to see if they were planning on a .40 S&W round and they stated they were but market demand would reflect when.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's the good old sales gimick routine we Americians are gulliable for anything that is new on the market, I keep using what has been made in the past" If it's not broke don't fix it 'there is nothing wrong with any of the ammo that has been on the market for the past 20 + yrs. for SD

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Defense Ammo is in short supply. Incredible. The shortage continues. I am still hunting for 9mm ball at my local friendly neighborhood Walmart. At $20.97 per box of 100 that is a super deal.

What I like about Hornandy is that the Critical Defense product line claims to penetrate through Jean and leather jackets. Traditional hollow point have had issues with little expansion into these materials.
It is a round point. Just like most .45 manufactures, they normally recommend ball nose. Hormandy is a good name.
Yes I sell this when it is available.

I have visited the Winchester plant about 20 miles from my store. I can tell you that they are in fact working 24/7. They are making millions of NATO rounds for our government. We are technically at war. The government takes precedence the rest of us wait in line. Unlike Cabalas and some others I do not sell re manufactured rounds.

I do not expect the situation to ease up soon. I think the Idea that ammo was or is being horded is an over blown misconception and mostly untrue.

I am often asked why I can I not get certain types of ammo. The reason is simple. If it is not a NATO round it is simply not being produced by major manufactures.

I was Lucky and now to obtain 8 cases of 95 gr .380

For all that own the Rutger LCP I have new Blazer ammo for it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It's the good old sales gimick routine we Americians are gulliable for anything that is new on the market, I keep using what has been made in the past" If it's not broke don't fix it 'there is nothing wrong with any of the ammo that has been on the market for the past 20 + yrs. for SD
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Even FMJ in .40S&W and .45 ACP is still a pretty good man-stopper, although I do prefer a decent hollow point.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I got some CD in 380. Tested 10 rounds into my trusty wet newspaper block. Every round expanded the exact same, every time. I trust the round the most in my Kel-Tec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts