Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I learned we were not alowed to CCW in Hospitols in Ohio. I have been searching and can't find where I saw it. Can anyone confirm this for me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Do the hospitals have signage posted restricting weapons on the property?
Many private hospitals do.
Have you contacted any of them or checked their websites?

For example, Samaritan Hospital in Ashland has this to say about the subject:
"Do not bring weapons, including knives and guns, alcohol, or other illegal substances to the hospital."

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do the hospitals have signage posted restricting weapons on the property?
Many private hospitals do.
Have you contacted any of them or checked their websites?

For example, Samaritan Hospital in Ashland has this to say about the subject:
"Do not bring weapons, including knives and guns, alcohol, or other illegal substances to the hospital."
Same with my local hospitals and they have metal detectors and armed guards to back that policy up . And , they will prosecute violators as a statement of their intent .

·
Banned
747 Posts
I cant speak to Ohio law, but in Florida, some hospitals have mental health facilities, which can make the entire hospital legally off limits, even if only a portion of the hospital has a mental health wing.

Also, I went a hospital last week, and as I was walking in, they had armed guards and metal detectors, with signs saying no weapons. I turned around and locked my CCW in the car.

I pretty much ignore ALL no guns signs here anyways, but if their are armed guards and metal detectors, that's my limit.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
According to info on handgunlaw.us and the state's "concise" concealed carry guide (33 pages is concise?) http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Condensed_Guide_to_Ohio_CCW.pdf hospitals are not a legislatively prohibited place. But if posted by the owner/operator of the facility, you are prohibited.

For the record, I hate FOL signage statutes.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Also, I went a hospital last week, and as I was walking in, they had armed guards and metal detectors, with signs saying no weapons. I turned around and locked my CCW in the car.

I pretty much ignore ALL no guns signs here anyways, but if their are armed guards and metal detectors, that's my limit.
And we all know that guards at the door with metal detectors will keep up perfectly safe, right?
</sarcasm>

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
In Ga the signs have no force of law...and to be honest, I really never remember to check for the signs...I just go in.

However, I went to an auction the other night...big handwritten "NO GUNS" poster on the door...so, I did an about-face, returned to my truck and left. I got the number off the sign in front of the auction house and called in a protest...actually got a return call from them about 2 days later, it was just to reiterate their policy...and rub it in my face. But, the joke is on them, they really needed me to stay as there were few cars in the parking lot and it was about time for the auction to begin.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
If a hospital is affiliated with a university it is usually considered part of the "university campus" and therefore would be prohibited from carrying in most states.

Reactions: rstickle

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm at University Hospital in Cleveland. Wondering around just killing time. I found Two small signs at the front door. Nothing by doors from garage. Nothing on second floor. I wood think they would have more signs. I'm not complaining. There are probobly more around but I got my answer.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don't forget that the sign may have no force of law in some places, but the owner's desire to not have you on the property DOES have the force of law.
Disregarding the owner's right to not have guns on their property is just as bad as having your right to carry in a public place taken away.
Respect is a two-way street.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Once again I think those signs are just suggestions. Find out and let us know.
Since signs have force of law in Ohio I'd say it's more than a suggestion.

R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)
(a)
Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in
control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the
state, the Un
ited States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a
conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or
concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises.
Except as otherwise provided in this division, a
person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation
of division (A)(4) of section
of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth
degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises
primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty
of criminal trespass under
section
of the Revised Code or under any other criminal law of this state or criminal law, ordinance,
or resolution of a political subdivision of this state,
and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for
trespass based on the violation.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured no guns was the law. I'm sure now. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Don't forget that the sign may have no force of law in some places, but the owner's desire to not have you on the property DOES have the force of law.
Disregarding the owner's right to not have guns on their property is just as bad as having your right to carry in a public place taken away.
Respect is a two-way street.
I understand where your coming from but the owner not liking guns is a FEELING and should not trump my constitutional RIGHT.

The first ammendment doesn't work this way so why does the second?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I understand where your coming from but the owner not liking guns is a FEELING and should not trump my constitutional RIGHT.

The first amendment doesn't work this way so why does the second?
First let me be clear, Colorado has no force of law. If I see a sign I view it as a request, usually denied.

The BOR protects me from the gov't. If a private business wants to infringe on speech they can ask me to leave, fire me (if I work for them), or any number of other things,,, They are a business not the gov't.

The second amendment is my right to be armed against a tyrannical gov't. I don't think a business that requests that I don't carry is abridging that right, even if I'm in a FOL state.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Regardless of the source, not wanting guns on the property is an owner's choice.
The right to private property protects that choice, and your 2A right doesn't trump the owner's private property rights.

The 1A works this way also. A property owner can eject you from their property for exercising your 1A right. THEY get to choose what is said on their property.

Remember, those same rules work for YOU as a private property owner. They allow you to decide what happens on YOUR property, in t he same way the hospital gets to decide what happens on THEIR property.

·
Registered
195 Posts

How's that? If you're in someone's place of business and decide to exercise your 1st Amendment right to "freedom of speech" by spouting a string of obscenities, "freedom of the press" by putting up political posters without permission, or "freedom of religion" by proselytizing or evangelizing, the owner has every right to demand that you to leave, and to have you arrested if you refuse.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Banning all weapons is closer to saying you cannot speak at all than it is to just saying you can't cuss or make threats

I also feel a person's personal property(their home) is different than a public building (hospital)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Banning all weapons is closer to saying you cannot speak at all than it is to just saying you can't cuss or make threats

I also feel a person's personal property(their home) is different than a public building (hospital)
Understood, but when it comes to rights, the law, etc., it is best to stick to facts rather than feelings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts